Chinese Have Successfully Transferred Data From Space Using Quantum Communication

Sounds like science. We don't believe in that here in the WR.

finally someone else does something decent for space, hopefully this will give us another space race can to crush

giphy.gif
tenor.gif

anything that can be interpreted can be hacked right?

this system simply changes the location of the interpretation right?

I think the idea is that the message can't be intercepted and read, which is what encryption tries to accomplish. So it would be the highest form of encryption.

Once the message has been received and decrypted by the intended recipient, then what happens with that information afterwards is a separate issue.

Consider a situation in which two people are in different rooms and need to transmit a message. Normal transmissions would be as if one of them wrote something down and walked it over to the other. You could run the person down and take the message from them, then you would have it. That's why we use encryption. In this example, encrypting the mesaage might be putting it in a safe and carrying the safe. Encrypting end to end would be having a bodyguard walk you to the destination. That's effectively the basis of modern encryption techniques.

What quantum entanglement does is basically "ties" two groups of particles together so that acting on one acts on the other. In this example, imagine the two people are in separate rooms, but their bodies are connected. One could whisper something, and because their bodies are connected, the other person would hear it as well. You've cut out the need for the safe and bodyguard because there's technically no transmission path. It just happens on the other end because they're entangled. To intercept the message, you would need to get to one of the endpoints (the people) which is immensely hard depending on what physical controls exist around them. This isn't encryption, this outright makes encryption obsolete.

Consider a situation in which two people are in different rooms and need to transmit a message. Normal transmissions would be as if one of them wrote something down and walked it over to the other. You could run the person down and take the message from them, then you would have it. That's why we use encryption. In this example, encrypting the mesaage might be putting it in a safe and carrying the safe. Encrypting end to end would be having a bodyguard walk you to the destination. That's effectively the basis of modern encryption techniques.

What quantum entanglement does is basically "ties" two groups of particles together so that acting on one acts on the other. In this example, imagine the two people are in separate rooms, but their bodies are connected. One could whisper something, and because their bodies are connected, the other person would hear it as well. You've cut out the need for the safe and bodyguard because there's technically no transmission path. It just happens on the other end because they're entangled. To intercept the message, you would need to get to one of the endpoints (the people) which is immensely hard depending on what physical controls exist around them. This isn't encryption, this outright makes encryption obsolete.

What you are referring to I think is faster than light speed communications (instant), which I think is theoretically possible using quantum entanglement (but I am no expert and could be wrong). I'm not sure if this satellite example qualifies as that.

From the article it sounds like they used this:

Quantum key distribution
The most well known and developed application of quantum cryptography is quantum key distribution, which is the process of using quantum communication to establish a shared key between two parties (Alice and Bob, for example) without a third party (Eve) learning anything about that key, even if Eve can eavesdrop on all communication between Alice and Bob. If Eve tries to learn information about the key being established, key establishment will fail causing Alice and Bob to notice. Once the key is established, it is then typically used for encrypted communication using classical techniques. For instance, the exchanged key could be used as for symmetric cryptography.

The security of quantum key distribution can be proven mathematically without imposing any restrictions on the abilities of an eavesdropper, something not possible with classical key distribution. This is usually described as "unconditional security", although there are some minimal assumptions required, including that the laws of quantum mechanics apply and that Alice and Bob are able to authenticate each other, i.e. Eve should not be able to impersonate Alice or Bob as otherwise a man-in-the-middle attack would be possible.

One aspect of quantum key distribution is that it is secure against quantum computers. Its strength does not depend on mathematical complexity, like post-quantum cryptography, but on physical principles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_cryptography

which applies quantum physics to the keys, not the actual content.

What you are referring to I think is faster than light speed communications (instant), which I think is theoretically possible using quantum entanglement (but I am no expert and could be wrong). I'm not sure if this satellite example qualifies as that.

From the article it sounds like they used this:

Quantum key distribution
The most well known and developed application of quantum cryptography is quantum key distribution, which is the process of using quantum communication to establish a shared key between two parties (Alice and Bob, for example) without a third party (Eve) learning anything about that key, even if Eve can eavesdrop on all communication between Alice and Bob. If Eve tries to learn information about the key being established, key establishment will fail causing Alice and Bob to notice. Once the key is established, it is then typically used for encrypted communication using classical techniques. For instance, the exchanged key could be used as for symmetric cryptography.

The security of quantum key distribution can be proven mathematically without imposing any restrictions on the abilities of an eavesdropper, something not possible with classical key distribution. This is usually described as "unconditional security", although there are some minimal assumptions required, including that the laws of quantum mechanics apply and that Alice and Bob are able to authenticate each other, i.e. Eve should not be able to impersonate Alice or Bob as otherwise a man-in-the-middle attack would be possible.

One aspect of quantum key distribution is that it is secure against quantum computers. Its strength does not depend on mathematical complexity, like post-quantum cryptography, but on physical principles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_cryptography

which applies quantum physics to the keys, not the actual content.

This is the technology, but the mechanism used is quantum entanglement. They're even going farther and using the observation state change as evidence of a confidentiality breach, which is pretty slick.

When we get into quantum entanglement, we're not really talking about the speed of anything, it's basically a simulated superposition.

This is the technology, but the mechanism used is quantum entanglement. They're even going farther and using the observation state change as evidence of a confidentiality breach, which is pretty slick.

When we get into quantum entanglement, we're not really talking about the speed of anything, it's basically a simulated superposition.

Yeah but I think with the technology they are using the entanglement is happening on the keys. So, there would still be a transmission of encrypted data like any other (in your example, they would still be walking with a safe), but a hacker could not decrypt it due to the quantum physics used on the keys. You'd have to violate the laws of physics to hack into it (or so the theory goes)

And yeah, if there was a way to apply entanglement to the entire message then there would be no need to transmit it at all, because it would just exist in both places at once (hence faster than light). It's pretty cool stuff, but there must be some serious hurdles to take it that far.

They used Chinese devil magic?

Last edited:
Yeah but I think with the technology they are using the entanglement is happening on the keys. So, there would still be a transmission of encrypted data like any other (in your example, they would still be walking with a safe), but a hacker could not decrypt it due to the quantum physics used on the keys. You'd have to violate the laws of physics to hack into it (or so the theory goes)

And yeah, if there was a way to apply entanglement to the entire message then there would be no need to transmit it at all, because it would just exist in both places at once (hence faster than light). It's pretty cool stuff, but there must be some serious hurdles to take it that far.

Ah ok, you're correct, I misread the article. So they're basically using private keys, but with state change used as the confidentiality control. Not necessarily something that can't be accomplished with PKI, but definitely on the path to making private keys viable on a wide scale again. Interesting at any rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back