Chattanooga MMA

Chattmma

White Belt
Reaction score
All the dirt on the Chattanooga, TN MMA scene. Got a question about a local school or event? Just ask.

The truth is that there are only three legitimate schools in the chattanooga area.
These would include Chattanooga Jujitsu, Blalock's IMB, and the Chattanooga Fight Factory. Lets look at them individually. Chattanooga Jujitsu, run by Mickey Swafford, seems to be a good BJJ school. Does not seem as well equipped as the other gyms, but if you are looking to earn a belt in BJJ this seems the best place to do it. Does not have any fights against local gyms to my knowledge.
Blalock's for the longest was the only place in town to train, and he will not hesitate to tell you it is still the only place. Overly ego driven. Solid stand-up, good Jujitsu, marginal wrestling. One of the most expensive in town. If you are looking for a Muay Thai school this is it. Solid fight record, has losses to Wave Fitness and Chattanooga Fight Factory.
Chattanooga Fight Factory is the newest of the local gyms. Seems well equipped. Fighters always seem to be the best conditioned in the area. Good stand-up, great ground game and superior wrestling. A lot of state champs there. If you are looking to earn a belt don't waste your time with this gym. Also there seems to be no set days for certain classes. Each day you go in can be something different. No day classes. Only win over local teams I know of is over blalocks. Currently training several title holders.
Each of the schools listed has their strengths and weaknesses, but they are the only legitimate options available.
I intend to discuss the pretenders in my next post.

So essentially you've made a new account on Sherdog for this?

ok

So essentially you've made a new account on Sherdog for this?

ok

Might not interest you. But for those in Chattanooga it might be important. Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to comment on it. Its an honor to have someone as important as you weigh in on the matter. I was so excited to see someone from Newfoundland responded. Maybe next we can hear from someone from New Dheli, India, or Rome maybe.

I was just wondering why you wouldn't do it with your regular account, is all.

I was just wondering why you wouldn't do it with your regular account, is all.
This is my first account.

I have followed the gyms in this area for a while. Unfortunately no one in this town has taken an objective view of the local schools in the area. Figured it was time.
Without the our team is the best attitude.

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind.. what's your name? Have you trained at all of these schools? If so we probably know each other as I have trained at Blalocks and Mickey's.

I just got back from Chattanooga few hours ago lol. Chattanooga Jiu Jitsu is a great place to train BJJ.

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind.. what's your name? Have you trained at all of these schools? If so we probably know each other as I have trained at Blalocks and Mickey's.

I have actually trained both as well. But I prefer to remain anonymous as I do not wish to have to deal with bruised egos. Where are you training now

How would u rate my assessment of the local schools?

How would u rate my assessment of the local schools?

I think you were fair and balanced on your assessment. I train at Chatt. Jiu Jitsu. But as far as bruised egos go you don't have to worry about that from me. Please, PM me your name. Thanks.

Do any of the schools in Chattanooga have Saturday classes/ open mats and some blues or purples who compete alot. I live in Knoxville and I am always looking for different people to train with. We don't have many blues, purples, and above who are serious competitors or who like to competition train.

I would make a trip to Chattanooga on the weekends if anyone in the area had some decent skill and was interested in competition training. Also they could come up to Knoxville some and hit our competition class on Saturdays at Gracie Barra Knoxville. The instructor is 6x World Champion Samuel Braga. We are always looking for more people to train with. Also Samuel always rolls with the blues and above who drop in to train on Saturdays.

So if you guys familiar with the Chattanooga BJJ scene could clue me in I would love to get in touch with a school for a bit of training.

Do any of the schools in Chattanooga have Saturday classes/ open mats and some blues or purples who compete alot. I live in Knoxville and I am always looking for different people to train with. We don't have many blues, purples, and above who are serious competitors or who like to competition train.

I would make a trip to Chattanooga on the weekends if anyone in the area had some decent skill and was interested in competition training. Also they could come up to Knoxville some and hit our competition class on Saturdays at Gracie Barra Knoxville. The instructor is 6x World Champion Samuel Braga. We are always looking for more people to train with. Also Samuel always rolls with the blues and above who drop in to train on Saturdays.

So if you guys familiar with the Chattanooga BJJ scene could clue me in I would love to get in touch with a school for a bit of training.

I think all three have saturday classes. Chattanooga Jujitsu, and Blalocks are Gi schools. Fight Factory is strictly no gi.

I pmed u

ChattJJ is in our affiliate. Saw a couple of the guys at NAGA at the beginning of the year in Atlanta. Would have liked to talk with a couple of you guys, but never got the chance. I drive by the place all the time driving from Atlanta to McMinville to visit the folks and often think about dropping in just to meet some good people from an affiliate school.

Any plans of getting in to a new place? It looks rather small in there.

Back