Charlo vs. Heiland WBC Eliminator For Mandatory Golovkin Shot

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Former IBF junior middleweight champion Jermall Charlo is inching closer to a world title shot at WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs), who also holds the WBA, IBF, IBO titles. Last month, Charlo vacated the IBF title and announced his official move to the middleweight division.

Charlo (25-0, 19 KOs) last fought in the fall, when he knocked out undefeated mandatory challenger Julian Williams. BoxingScene.com reported two weeks ago that Charlo was given a very high ranking when he made his debut in the WBC's middleweight ratings.

The sanctioning body placed him in the number two position within their top ten. The WBC's number one ranked contender is Jorge Sebastian Heiland (28-4-2, 15 KOs) of Argentina. According to ESPN Deportes, the World Boxing Council, through its president Mauricio Sulaimán, made an announcement in Argentina that Heiland and Charlo would collide in a final eliminator - with the winner getting a shot at Golovkin. - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/charlo-v...ry-golovkin-shot--114984#sthash.CGiKg1kn.dpuf

Decent introduction to MW for MW. Heiland has been out in the cold for awhile.

Anyway, I bet Golovkin finds more opponents lining up to fight after that Jacobs fight.

Anyway, I bet Golovkin finds more opponents lining up to fight after that Jacobs fight.

Saunders says that he wants him (again) in June for the 10th and their teams are in talks already. I doubt Saunders will fight him but maybe he means it this time. The winner becomes the undisputed Middleweight champion.

Saunders Smiles: Let Everyone Doubt Me, I Can Beat Golovkin!

By Edward Chaykovsky

WBO world middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (24-0, 12 KOs) says he is ready to become the number one fighter at 160-pounds.

To earn that position, he needs to defeat WBA super, IBO, WBC and IBF king Gennady "GGG" Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs).

Golovkin fought last Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York City, and won a tough twelve round unanimous decision over mandatory challenger Daniel Jacobs.

Their teams are in talks for a showdown on June 10th in Golovkin's homeland of Kazakhstan.

Because of injuries and fight delays, Saunders was only able to fight once in 2016 with a lackluster decision win over Artur Akavov in December. It was Saunders' first defense of the title that he won from Andy Lee in December 2015.

"The teams are talking, and we're waiting on a date. I'm waiting patiently. He says he wants to fight. We can't wait around forever, because there are other options. I would like a big unification, so I hope it's going to go ahead. We've just got to wait to see what happens with the two teams. We've got a Plan B, but Golovkin is Plan A, so if he wants it, it's there," Saunders told Isaac Robinson.

Because of Saunders' poor performance in December, he is being tabbed as a massive underdog against Golovkin. But the underdog label is spurring him on to pull off a major upset.

Saunders has already reviewed Golovkin's win over Jacobs and made a lot of mental notes from that contest.

"I want to go and prove the world wrong. Let everyone doubt me. I'll prove to the world what I can do, and there's no better place to do that than in his backyard. That will get me fired up even more," Saunders said.

"I watched the Jacobs fight yesterday, and I think I can undo something in Golovkin and get the win. I know what I can do to beat Golovkin, and that's why I didn't stay up to watch that fight. If you stand in front of him to have a punch-up, then you're asking for trouble. But it you want to be clever, that's the way forward. You've got to be very cute against someone like Golovkin, and I believe he's never been in the ring with someone with as much ringcraft as I've got."
Saunders Smiles: Let Everyone Doubt Me, I Can Beat Golovkin! - Boxing Scene

Also, LOL at this...
Saunders To Golovkin: Do You Want To Fight? Put Up or Shut Up! - Boxing Scene

Decent introduction to MW for MW. Heiland has been out in the cold for awhile.

Agreed. He's been out in the cold cause he's still unknown, and very good. One of those guys whose better than their resume shows.
He's got good size and athleticism, is rugged, and has very good pop. And hes a southpaw.

I would crudely peg him as a blue collar version of Maravilla.

Charlo should win -- and i actually would be surprised if he goes straight to Golovkin afterwords. I would think they would want to let that fight ripen a bit, financially, for both guys. But hey, im not complaining :)

Seems like a good fight. Anyone know when this would take place?

i talk to julian williams coach, i don't know that charlo has the power or durability to stay in w/golovkin; clearly charlo has the layers of offense...range.

but i seen guys slow his pressure or back him up; guys who arent the punchers in regards to accuracy or power that golovkin is...

this next fight will tell us alot about charlo.. saul is probably a safer fight

i talk to julian williams coach, i don't know that charlo has the power or durability to stay in w/golovkin; clearly charlo has the layers of offense...range.

but i seen guys slow his pressure or back him up; guys who arent the punchers in regards to accuracy or power that golovkin is...

this next fight will tell us alot about charlo.. saul is probably a safer fight

Charlo has a really big frame. He'll be a better MW than he was a LMW.
Guy's with that wide frame, lanky build, almost always get stronger and more durable when they move up (unless they've just got no chin to begin with).

And agreed -- Canelo is most certainly a much safer fight. He'd be a sitting duck for Charlo's uppercuts.

Please excuse my confusion, but which Charlo is this? Is it the one who can punch or the other one?

Anyway, Heiland is a willing sort if not top drawer & shouldn't provide too much of a taxing introduction to the division; decent yardstick, though, & a decent fight.

Please excuse my confusion, but which Charlo is this? Is it the one who can punch or the other one?

Anyway, Heiland is a willing sort if not top drawer & shouldn't provide too much of a taxing introduction to the division; decent yardstick, though, & a decent fight.
He is the one with the A in his name so he is the bigger puncher.

Jermall has a great chin and solid skills, I honestly think he beats Canelo, maybe even stops him. The uppercut he laid on JRoc was a thing of beauty. GGG would outpoint him 116-112

Back