Movies Chameleon actors or Charismatic actors - Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Depends on the role and the movie.

I wouldn't want to see Clint Eastwood in Gangs of New York, but I don't think Daniel Day Lewis would be as good at Any Which Way but Loose. I don't think Philip Seymour Hoffman would have been a great Dirty Harry.

Guys who play Tom Cruise in every movie

62TJ.gif

Not sure about some names dropped, but charismatic: i don't need same actor to be everywhere, i prefer he have way more impactful presence in these few roles where he can do his shit best

Not a case usually most memorable movie characters are those where the actor had greatly effective presence on the role he's been called to play

Good case could be Harrison Ford... many call him shit actor, but Indiana Jones and Han Solo are iconic af

Stallone is goofy af yet most actors would sell soul to satan to have 1 role impactful as Rocky or Rambo and dude got both and some more

Even rising the skill level, lot joke on Deep being good only for play weirdos, yet his Jack Sparrow carried whole franchise, and got bunch of other memorable characters

DDL is super skilled actor, yet i remember him for the role where he goes closer to charismatic kind of role (Bill the Butcher in GoNY) rather than other probably more difficult performances

Best example maybe Oldman who's phenomenal, but still his peak shine where beside the skill there's something else to be impactful... come to mind Dracula where he was charismatic af at being OLD Dracula and possibly his best one-man-show performance, while he felt weak and forgettable as Young Dracula, to the point i wish they picked different actors for the roles lol

Btw chameleons are essential too to create high quality chemistry

Last edited:
There comes a point where I stop seeing movie characters and just see actors. No matter what movie he's in, I just see Tom Cruise. Ditto Brad Pitt, Ryan Reynolds, etc. It takes you out of the movie.

A good example is Hemsworth as Thor. When that came out he was a nobody, comparatively speaking, so instead of an actor on the screen I was able to see Thor. So give me an unknown, or someone who hides in the role.

I can appreciate an actor that goes all in on their character but I generally prefer the actors that bring a piece of themselves into the character and add their own personality and creativity.

Chameleon

I prefer the story to shine through more so than the real persons behind the characters. Charismatic actors I see through much easier, and so the focus becomes more about them, and not the story being told.

There comes a point where I stop seeing movie characters and just see actors. No matter what movie he's in, I just see Tom Cruise. Ditto Brad Pitt, Ryan Reynolds, etc. It takes you out of the movie.

A good example is Hemsworth as Thor. When that came out he was a nobody, comparatively speaking, so instead of an actor on the screen I was able to see Thor. So give me an unknown, or someone who hides in the role.
I tend to think a lot of the time what causes that isnt so much that someone is famous but that the role doesn't really match with their charisma, Cruise in something like Colleterial I think worked perfectly because the role fit the Cruise persona so well. The MCU at its peak did that very well I think, the characters became a merger of their comic originals and the actors personas.

To be fair I don't think its one thing or the other, I mean Gary Oldman in Leon or Daniel Day Lewis un The Unbearable Lightness of Being, those are very charismatic performances.

I feel like chameleons can do leading man/woman roles, but the reverse is not true.

I consider Brad Pitt a chameleon. Look at his performances in 12 monkeys, Kalifornia, True Romance... Yet he can also pull off being the leading man.

Not sure about some names dropped, but charismatic: i don't need same actor to be everywhere, i prefer he have way more impactful presence in these few roles where he can do his shit best

Not a case usually most memorable movie characters are those where the actor had greatly effective presence on the role he's been called to play

Good case could be Harrison Ford... many call him shit actor, but Indiana Jones and Han Solo are iconic af

Stallone is goofy af yet most actors would sell soul to satan to have 1 role impactful as Rocky or Rambo and dude got both and some more

Even rising the skill level, lot joke on Deep being good only for play weirdos, yet his Jack Sparrow carried whole franchise, and got bunch of other memorable characters

DDL is super skilled actor, yet i remember him for the role where he goes closer to charismatic kind of role (Bill the Butcher in GoNY) rather than other probably more difficult performances

Best example maybe Oldman who's phenomenal, but still his peak shine where beside the skill there's something else to be impactful... come to mind Dracula where he was charismatic af at being OLD Dracula and possibly his best one-man-show performance, while he felt weak and forgettable as Young Dracula, to the point i wish they picked different actors for the roles lol

Btw chameleons are essential too to create high quality chemistry

Very well said man.

I tend to think a lot of the time what causes that isnt so much that someone is famous but that the role doesn't really match with their charisma, Cruise in something like Colleterial I think worked perfectly because the role fit the Cruise persona so well. The MCU at its peak did that very well I think, the characters became a merger of their comic originals and the actors personas.

To be fair I don't think its one thing or the other, I mean Gary Oldman in Leon or Daniel Day Lewis un The Unbearable Lightness of Being, those are very charismatic performances.

That's true, but I'm just going by career wise in how they act. DDL, Oldman and PSH tend to be chameleon like actors.

Of course it depends on the character if charisma is needed for the role.

While guys like Nicholson, Denzel and Clint tend to rely on their charisma of their acting in their roles. They very rarely change their persona per se. It seems like they are just playing themselves most of the time.

Although Denzel is more versatile than those other two.

In most movies I prefer charisma actors but in certain dramas especially historical or of a popular novel I prefer Chameleons .

Brando had both

Good match up, but charisma is so rare these days, I'm gonna with charisma.

Back