Chains or bands?

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
Which would you suggest I go for?

Adding to bar for bench, Squat, dead and ohp.

Just bought my Christmas present of a new gym, power rack, Olympic weights, trap bar etc etc.

Post is 50% real and 50% brag.

Both work well and add resistance as you lift, but you need to think of how they will attach? Are you using releasers etc ?for the chains whats their weight? What type of bands (some are good and last others will waste in a year of use)?
Which will be more versatile for the rest of your training?
Chains also double over for delt work, weighted chins etc

Last edited:

Just bought my Christmas present of a new gym, power rack, Olympic weights, trap bar etc etc.

Lol at the last line!

For myself id go with the chains fwiw.

Good postmodern I'm thinking of getting chains myself. Reasons for chains over bands personally:
-more gradual increase in resistance
-easier set up
-I hear that bands can be hard on the shoulders
-I've used bands in the past, they're great, but harder to measure
resistance. Also they lose tension over time.

I'm no expert on chains so could someone provide a useful article and/or video describing hire to set up chains?

I say both especially since you have a home gym. A set of good bands is not that expensive and should last several years at the very least. We use to measure band tension with a fish scale.

I would recommend getting strong with the basic lifts first before you think about this stuff

I would recommend getting strong with the basic lifts first before you think about this stuff
Lmao typical condescending sherdog response. Doesn't actually address the thread, but gives the cookie cutter answer "just squat, dead, ohp etc..."
Even tho we have no idea how strong he is.

I've got second hand excitement from this thread. I plan on getting some chains myself for my home squat rack

What rack did you get?

Now I can curl in the rack at my leisure and no douche complains.

What rack did you get?

Glad you asked.

$_35.JPG

Lmao typical condescending sherdog response. Doesn't actually address the thread, but gives the cookie cutter answer "just squat, dead, ohp etc..."
Even tho we have no idea how strong he is.

I've got second hand excitement from this thread. I plan on getting some chains myself for my home squat rack

If the OP has to ask this question im going to assume that he is not strong. If that is the case then there is no complexity necessary and is counter productive to the OP.

So yes it is a cookie cutter answer and it should be. NOthing is condescending about it because it is true.

If the OP has to ask this question im going to assume that he is not strong. If that is the case then there is no complexity necessary and is counter productive to the OP.

So yes it is a cookie cutter answer and it should be. NOthing is condescending about it because it is true.
The op asks "chains or bands" and you respond with "get strong with basic lifts first op". Literally nothing the op said would imply he's not strong enough for chains/ bands.

We don't need people like you in this forum. Try adding something of value to the discussion instead of elitist fluff.

Honestly just thought you were telling an in joke!

I train (power lifting) exclusively at home and have done for years, I get my info online. I deadlift over 460lbs, bench over 260lbs so while I'm not necessarily 'strong' in relative company, I'm certainly not weak.

Honestly just thought you were telling an in joke!

I train (power lifting) exclusively at home and have done for years, I get my info online. I deadlift over 460lbs, bench over 260lbs so while I'm not necessarily 'strong' in relative company, I'm certainly not weak.

What is your height and weight?

My guess is you are an average size man and those numbers dont indicate that you need to be thinking about chains...dont waste your money unless you just want variety for varieties sake....my opinion is if you keep it simple you will have more fun with the results without fucking around with that shit

Im here to help you dude not make enemies

If your trying to maintain your weight and doing higherintenisty training then sure get some chains for variety and rotate using them and not using them but even then they arent necessary

Last edited:
The op asks "chains or bands" and you respond with "get strong with basic lifts first op". Literally nothing the op said would imply he's not strong enough for chains/ bands.

We don't need people like you in this forum. Try adding something of value to the discussion instead of elitist fluff.

You be forever ignored by me loser

O i see im not the only one you have a problem with with your dubs

Loser

What is your height and weight?

My guess is you are an average size man and those numbers dont indicate that you need to be thinking about chains...dont waste your money unless you just want variety for varieties sake....my opinion is if you keep it simple you will have more fun with the results without fucking around with that shit

Im here to help you dude not make enemies

If your trying to maintain your weight and doing higherintenisty training then sure get some chains for variety and rotate using them and not using them but even then they arent necessary

Yeah no worries I appreciate the input.

My training is for football, on the line, I kinda assumed that bands and chains would help in power generation throughout the movement. So I wasn't relying on momentum. Is that not the case?

It could but i would be focused on heavy squats and deadlifts(you need to be much stronger at your size and position)specifically you need to practice coming off the line into a pad as much as you can

Max strength is the backbone of power and getting stronger at those movements will improve your power for coming of of the line. Sprints jumps throws as well

If you use chains and bands it could have force production effect wirh barbels but for athletes like football in your case they wont really do much. But as i said there could be place for them but i wouldnt use them a lot honestly in your case if at all.

Bottom line is lift to get strong and practice your sport specifically. Thats the answer 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Back