Chael Sonnen says DC may be effected by new weight cutting policy for Jon Jones rematch

Chael P always delivering the hard nosed facts

According to the new policy the fighter has to actually make weight. Not be 1.2lbs over and either hold a towel or rely on corrupt commissions to rig the scale.

So tripple towels for DC this time..

So nice of Chael to tell us all what we already knew

EzGslrzAb5AxG.gif

don't want to listen to the whole thing, but the good news is that if one of them comes into the fight weighting more than 225.5, it only affects their next fight; this one isn't canceled.

the other parts of the 10 point plan can be managed effectively. Cormier is a smart guy with a smart team. he'll be fine.

What? CSAC is going to suggest nicely that he move up to HW?

that's actually really interesting about the 1998 NCAA rule changes in wrestling. i didn't know that. thanks TS.

a. can't move weight classes.
b. added 7lbs to every weight class
c. moved to 1 hour weigh-in's (opposite of UFC, which moved from 24 hour weight in to 36 hour weight in), with the idea that if wrestlers couldn't rehydrate, they wouldn't dehydrate (of course, you cannot do c if you don't do a and b.)

and he points out that after 3 NCAA wrestlers died in 1998, they changed the rules ASAP, whereas if MMA doesn't implement rules proactively - with the knowledge that guys are going to the hospitals due to weight cuts - instead of retroactively after an mma player dies, then they will get lambasted for not being proactive with the knowledge they currently have.

and he ends with "is it overreach? probably. but it's also not unreasonable."

Last edited:
Both guys will be affected. They need to diet down and stay on weight leading up to the fight rather than cutting the last week. I think it will benefit DC since it will force him to be in shape.

Both guys will be affected. They need to diet down and stay on weight leading up to the fight rather than cutting the last week. I think it will benefit DC since it will force him to be in shape.
DC won't be benefited in his advanced age. He will show up just as fat as last time.

Back