Carwin, Kongo and Lashley possible Alternates considered by Coker

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Bellator has yet to determine any alternates for the tournament, though president Scott Coker told ESPN’s Brett Okamoto the promotion is considering several names, including Shane Carwin, Cheick Kongo and Bobby Lashley.

Bellator’s heavyweight championship has been vacant since May 2016, when the promotion stripped then-champ Vitaly Minakov of the belt for failing to defend the title.

The tentative plan is to hold the title fight in December.

MMAjunkie.com

If they can be alternates why arent they just in the freakin tourney?

I was assuming Kongo, Bobby, and Sergei were unavailable.

Kongo not in the tournament is a joke. Winningest heavyweight in Bellator right now.

Kongo not in the tournament is a joke. Winningest heavyweight in Bellator right now.

If they really are going to put on a title fight in December (finally...), I'm guessing Kongo might be fighting for it and that's why he's not in the tourney.

If they really are going to put on a title fight in December (finally...), I'm guessing Kongo might be fighting for it and that's why he's not in the tourney.

That’s a year away. I think he should fight someone by summer.

Kongo vs. Lashley

Carwin vs. Ayala

If they need someone to step in, pick whoever had the best performance.

Edit:

On second thought....

Kongo vs. Carwin

Lashley vs. Jack Swagger (if an athletic commission doesn't allow it...have the fight in Texas).

Put the winner of Kongo/Carwin in the tournament if needed. Lashley/Swagger victor is the backup to the backups.

Failing that, insert Javy Ayala.

Last edited:
They should of had a bigger tournament, they've got some good heavyweights that are missing out.

Kongo is the most boring of all heavyweights, not upset he didn’t get the call.

Carwin vs Ayala 1st alternate

Kongo vs lashley 2nd (2 of the most boring guys on earth, that’s why they are not in the gp imo)

Kongo vs. Lashley

Carwin vs. Ayala

Edit:

On second thought....

Kongo vs. Carwin

Lashley vs. Jack Swagger (if an athletic commission doesn't allow it...have the fight in Texas).

Put the winner of Kongo/Carwin in the tournament if needed. Lashley/Swagger victor is the backup to the backups.

i'd have kongo vs lashley to pit the 2 boring fighters against each other and eliminate one. then carwin vs serghei or ayala like you mentioned.

another alternate they should consider is texas crazy horse vs the big pygmy

Maybe he declined or the date didn't work.

It might not have been intentional.

Last edited:
That’s a year away. I think he should fight someone by summer.

Oh, December of 2018? Lol what a bunch of bullshit. That title has been vacant for far too long.

i'd have kongo vs lashley to pit the 2 boring fighters against each other and eliminate one. then carwin vs serghei or ayala like you mentioned.

another alternate they should consider is texas crazy horse vs the big pygmy

Lashley likely didn't want to commit to a tournament over his pro wrestling gig. It wouldn't surprise me if he passes on being an alternative. He never wanted to fill in as a possible replacement for Barnett back in Affliction against Fedor. That incident pretty much told fans that he was not going to be a serious fighter. And you're right, he's boring.

Kongo also boring. But I want to see a boring fighter get knocked out. I'd also like to see Carwin against what amounts to a gatekeeper to see if he has anything left.

Kharitonov is taking MMA fights in Russia. Maybe he'll be doing kick boxing too. I understand why he wouldn't appear in this tournament. Bellator has enough in-house fighters that the don't need to concern themselves with locking down the Russian for a possible calendar year.

Didn't Carwin flake out from Rizin at the last minute after doing his public Twitter of "oh, my hands are far too big for these puny Rizin gloves"?

Oh, December of 2018? Lol what a bunch of bullshit. That title has been vacant for far too long.

Rampage and Chael in Jan, another fights scheduled for Feb. One april one may i think. Round 2s prob aug n sept with finals in Dec

was surprised Kongo wasn't in the tournament actually.

It's a pretty good idea to leave Kongo out

There will be an injury, it's inevitable. Having Kongo step in sometime later in the tourny won't look so lame if he wins it all

Bellator needs to put on the fight we've all always wanted to see

Ronnie Coleman vs Jay Cutler

Kongo vs. Lashley

Carwin vs. Ayala

Edit:

On second thought....

Kongo vs. Carwin

Ayala isn't really a good fit in the tournament, IMO.

Jack Swagger? Why?!?! That's something a casual fan would think of.

Justin Wren deserves an alternate spot more than those two.
tumblr_owwslbPjmp1ry1rm7o1_r1_400.gif

Back