Carlson Gracie Black Belts

jadizm

Self Serve Vanilla Pussy!!
@Brown
Reaction score
With the passing of Master Carlson (RIP) I was wondering how his black belt students are gonna get promoted now on? Guys like Sperry, Wallid, Bustamante, Duarte, Diogo etc. deserve to get promoted to the next degree (when the time comes) but who determines when and who does it?

Well, Busamante, and Sperry left Carlson's team before he passed away, so they wouldn't have recieved any promotions from Carlson if he were still alive.

Carlson Gracie Jr runs the team now, I believe. So, I'd imagine that he would do the promoting within the team.

I don't think a lot of them care about being promoted to the varying degrees of black belt.

Magooglie said:
I don't think a lot of them care about being promoted to the varying degrees of black belt.
That's what I'd say .

I thought it was automatic -- for every three years teaching as a BJJ black belt, you get another degree, which continues until the ninth degree --- you can't go ten.

Yeah i think its more automatic, like Zankou said...but I thought that after 9 years (the first 3 stripes) you have to wait the number of years the stripe is...e.g. 4th stripe four more years, 5th stripe, 5 years, 6th = 6 years etc.

Oh and don't forget De La Riva...

Oh and don't forget De La Riva...
Orlando Saraiva, Elcio Figueiredo, Marcus Soares, Fernando Pinduka, Peixotinho, Carlos Rosado .. many 8th and even 9th degree bb of Grand Master though other masters like Osvaldo Alves, Carlos Jr and Carlos and Rigan Machado. Reyson Gracie and Robson Gracie, Carlson's brothers .. Many able and willing masters would handle the honors.

Last edited:
This thread was necro'd and I read the original post without looking at the date (thinking it was new). Made me worry for a second that Carlson Jr. had died smh. That man has put multiple stripes on my 3 belts thus far.

Sorry for that. I had a thought in mind and performed a search. Couple threads snagged my attention and were not really answered or answered incorrecty.

Back