Cardio or Weights? Which is more beneficial?

Which is more beneficial?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say Cardio because it works your heart more. Which is the most important muscle I'd say.

Cardio-weights.png

For combat sports?

I would say cardio and/or conditioning with calisthenics/etc. It helps with energy, recovery, general physical preparedness, etc.

For general well-being or longevity?

Probably strength training. Some well known longevity researchers are coming to this conclusion.

For combat sports?

I would say cardio and/or conditioning with calisthenics/etc. It helps with energy, recovery, general physical preparedness, etc.

For general well-being or longevity?

Probably strength training. Some well known longevity researchers are coming to this conclusion.

Well said, thanks.

I'm going to say Cardio because it works your heart more. Which is the most important muscle I'd say.

Cardio-weights.png
Anything in moderation. Don't want to over bulk, but do need to work the muscles out, even at an older, mature age. Cardio is always good, but don't have to go overboard & just focus on that. Relaxing with a nice wine or beer is good, but once again...in moderation:)

More beneficial for what?
Depends on the goal and the person.
Cardio is generally better for overall health.
Strength is infinitely cooler though.

More beneficial for what?
Depends on the goal and the person.
Cardio is generally better for overall health.
Strength is infinitely cooler though.

If you had to choose between the two to exercise for the rest of your life. Which would it be?

It depends. Most sports conditioning is more important. That does not mean strength is useless though. You can’t build power without strength training at all.

Last edited:
If I could only do one the rest of my life, I'd lift weights. It's simply more versatile. You can train strength, endurance, mobility, improve body composition, maintain good mental health, and maintain a healthy metabolic profile.

Having said that, I still beleive that cardio is the best thing for heart/lung/blood health and function(I know there's an argument otherwise, but I would need some pretty compelling evidence to change my view). It also probably does more to improve performance in most sports, is fun, and is great for mental health.

In short, I would never give up either. But if I had to choose one, I would become one of those types that lives in the weight room.

Cardio-weights.png
Strongfirst is doing some really cool stuff with strength endurance and work capacity, which gives you all the benefits listed under both modalities. Simple & Sinister, Iron Cardio, their BJJ Fanatics program, and several other programs will get you strong as hell and let you be explosive for hours.

It's best to combine both training methods. Concentrating on one to the exclusion of the other is not healthy.

Cardio but for weight management a combination. Every one thinks the best way to lose weight is cardio but reality lifting an cardio the best balance.

Lifting actually is more effective at burning fat then cardio alone. You may think you burn more calories doing cardio it's after your workout your muscles after lifting continue to burn calories.

Also I find that combination makes me eat less. After cardio I seem to eat more. Lifting tend to have less of a hunger need.

It’s hard to compare. Couldn’t imagine doing one without the other.

When you’re old you definitely need muscle mass to function. But we all know those fat old man lifters who don’t look healthy. You need cardio for good blood flow and to keep all of your internal organs healthy.

Weights.10 000 steps a day is enough cardio for the average bloke. You can use short rest times and supersets to make lifting more cardiovasculary challenging if you want

I'm looking at this from the perspective of having to choose just one formal gym/exercise routine...in which case I would probably say weight training.

While maintaining strength, muscle mass, and bone density as we age seems very important from a quality of life perspective, a key reason I would pick weights is because it seems harder to (partially) compensate for a lack of weight training than a lack of cardio outside of the gym or a formal exercise routine.

In our day-to-day lives, many normal activities (including social/recreational activities that are not exclusively done for their health benefits) can support cardio health. We can walk, play sports, ditch the car for the bike when possible, take stairs instead of elevators, etc. Get the steps in, as someone else pointed out...and without too much 'purpose' behind it.

Outside of having a physically demanding job, it seems less likely that we would naturally compensate for a lack of weight training with our daily activities. You would generally need to purposefully do things with the specific goal of lifting/pushing/carrying weight.

strength and muscle mass is important as you age unless you don’t mind losing physical independence because you will atrophy
Biggest killer is Heart related issues in the world.

3x30-60m easy cardio sessions a week will do more for you than strength and muscle mass long term sadly.

I would rather strength training, but the ability to run/swim/walk/ride 3x a week for 30+ mins will provide sufficient strength to offset aging, provided you don't go to far and start running ultras with no strength work.

It's sadly all you really need, but screw TS, people should do both for long term health.

Back