Can you make a decent living playing minors/second tier league

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Can you make a decent living playing minors and second tier leagues?

Are their career minor leaguers? Or do they get shuffled out so fast because so much new talent coming in ?

How was the highest paid minor leaguer or second tier player?

If you had to choose a sport to focus on thinking in case you wont make it to top level, which one would it be if you wanted to make career out of it?

A 25 year old I was working with plays indoor soccer in Florida right now and he was playing in China before that, he said he earns about 25K for the season, not sure how many games but I think it was 4-5 months, plus they pay his accommodation and food.

I'm sure they make more than human cawkfighters

A 25 year old I was working with plays indoor soccer in Florida right now and he was playing in China before that, he said he earns about 25K for the season, not sure how many games but I think it was 4-5 months, plus they pay his accommodation and food.

He must have been playing third or fourth tier in China. Chinese Superleague has signed away some big name players from Euro top flight.

He must have been playing third or fourth tier in China. Chinese Superleague has signed away some big name players from Euro top flight.
Yes probably, he plays in an indoor league, I don't follow Chinese Superleague but I'm assuming it's their top tier outdoor teams

'Career' minor leaguers in baseball have kind of disappeared. There used to be guys who'd play well into their 30's. Nowadays, if you haven't made the majors by your late 20's, you're probably going to run out of chances. If you were a bonus baby who got paid coming out of high school/college, you might have made some decent money though, even if you washed out.

Basketball players can make good money playing in some of the international leagues, especially in Europe, if you consider that 'minor leagues'.

Minor league baseball, the pay is total shit. The only guys getting paid are the true prospects who signed big bonuses when they were drafted and will inevitably get called up to the big leagues. Minor league baseball is notorious for relying on "host families" to house the players because they don't make enough to afford housing. NFL practice squad members make decent money, $7,200/week in 2017, and it's been continually rising, it will rise to $8,400 in 2020. Players in the CFL also make decent money, about $80k on average. The average is also $80k for arena football players. NBA D-League is a lot lower, like $25k, although the caveat is that a lot of those guys have guaranteed NBA contracts and will be brought back to the NBA eventually. Pro players in Europe and Asia make a lot more, but are less likely to make it in the NBA. Euroleague pays about 3x the D-league on average and also subsidizes the players' housing, food, cars and even taxes, and the top 50 highest paid players almost all make 1 million Euros or more/year, topping out at about 3.5 million Euros.

Minor league baseball, the pay is total shit. The only guys getting paid are the true prospects who signed big bonuses when they were drafted and will inevitably get called up to the big leagues. Minor league baseball is notorious for relying on "host families" to house the players because they don't make enough to afford housing. NFL practice squad members make decent money, $7,200/week in 2017, and it's been continually rising, it will rise to $8,400 in 2020. Players in the CFL also make decent money, about $80k on average. The average is also $80k for arena football players. NBA D-League is a lot lower, like $25k, although the caveat is that a lot of those guys have guaranteed NBA contracts and will be brought back to the NBA eventually. Pro players in Europe and Asia make a lot more, but are less likely to make it in the NBA. Euroleague pays about 3x the D-league on average and also subsidizes the players' housing, food, cars and even taxes, and the top 50 highest paid players almost all make 1 million Euros or more/year, topping out at about 3.5 million Euros.

A/AA/AAA baseball sounds like crap. Why even have so many tiers?

What about the second, third, and fourth flight soccer leagues in Europe, Latin America? China's top league is well below Top flight, but they pay great I hear. They even sign guys away from Top Flight in Europe. It is the most popular sport in the world. Is it the richest too?

How long can a guy stay on practice squad with NFL? Hockey is another sport that has many leagues and teams around world. How is playing for AHL, ECHL, KHL or any smaller euro leagues?

The way to make some money is to go overseas - in baseball, play in Japan; in basketball, I have a friend who played in some league in the Middle East but he came back after a couple of years and started his own business; in football, go to Canada.

A/AA/AAA baseball sounds like crap. Why even have so many tiers?

What about the second, third, and fourth flight soccer leagues in Europe, Latin America? China's top league is well below Top flight, but they pay great I hear. They even sign guys away from Top Flight in Europe. It is the most popular sport in the world. Is it the richest too?

How long can a guy stay on practice squad with NFL? Hockey is another sport that has many leagues and teams around world. How is playing for AHL, ECHL, KHL or any smaller euro leagues?
You can stay on a practice squad for up to 3 years. Other teams can also poach players from practice squads as long as they give them a roster spot. For instance, last year the Patriots picked up Matt Lengel from the Bengals practice squad and he ended up catching a TD pass from Tom Brady for his first career catch.

You can stay on a practice squad for up to 3 years. Other teams can also poach players from practice squads as long as they give them a roster spot. For instance, last year the Patriots picked up Matt Lengel from the Bengals practice squad and he ended up catching a TD pass from Tom Brady for his first career catch.

LOL I guess the realistic money is in coaching

The Average Salary in Germans second division soccer is 450,000 Euro per year.
The third division is around 120,000 per year. But those people are still considered professionals so not sure that qualifies as a minor league?

Only if you are Rusney Castillo.

The Average Salary in Germans second division soccer is 450,000 Euro per year.
The third division is around 120,000 per year. But those people are still considered professionals so not sure that qualifies as a minor league?

minor league is still professional as is second/third tier. Minor leaguers are getting paid to play.

Is 450K or 120K euro considered a lot of money in Europe?

500K in US dollars or British "whatever they use there now"? 500K dollars I consider a very good living in the USA just to play a game. That is sweet.

It's actually £486k.
Exchange rate is $1.35 for £1.
So about $656,100 a year. Not bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back