Can you be hurt by a heel hook below the knee line?

trustdoesntrust

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Say your opponent goes for the HH and you clear the knee line but he still decides to crank it before you can fully escape. I know you're safe from reconstructive knee surgery, but can you still be hurt in a more day-to-day sense?

Say your opponent goes for the HH and you clear the knee line but he still decides to crank it before you can fully escape. I know you're safe from reconstructive knee surgery, but can you still be hurt in a more day-to-day sense?

If you have cleared the knee, what's stopping you from Escaping? He has no control over your leg anymore.

If you have cleared the knee, what's stopping you from Escaping? He has no control over your leg anymore.

You could have your legs controlling his shin. Its feasible. Just depends on the angle and the pressure. You could definitely finish an Achilles below the shin. There's even instructionals that teach its application. A heel-hook is definitely not as likely though.

You've cleared the knee, but your leg is still trapped by your opponent desperately squeezing his legs to keep you from fully slipping out; you're not trapped for long, but your opponent could still crank it if he wanted. obviously anybody who knows what they're doing should try to reestablish kneeline control, or bail on the position and move to something else.

When it comes to leglocks, techncially you maybe save in certain positions but there is ALWAYS a risk of injury when someone is twisting your foot and using your foot as a lever to twist your knee.

So ALWAYS be careful with leglocks they can hurt even if they are not perfectly applied.

If you have cleared the knee line you should just be able to spin out in the direction of the crank. If something did pop it should only be on the ankle since the knee isn't isolated.

Short answer: yes, if you are not defending correctly. They are still twisting your foot in the wrong direction. I've never once tapped to a legitimate heel hook (that affected my knee) in competition. At least twice, I've been heel hooked and my ankle popped, spraining it however.

^ The ankle can pop, especially if they're bridging instead of rotating.

He could still conceivably injure your ankle, although it's less common with a heel hook than with a toe hold. I've had my ankles popped with toe holds but never a heel hook, but I've seen it happen.

**Edit, damn, beat me to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back