Opinion Can We Stop Using 'Liberal' as an Insult?

Since I consider myself a liberal, yes I guess it would help my self-esteem if we didn't demonize the term

What you are is a classical liberal. The problem is that liberal principles are too ambiguous. Take for example racial and gender equality. Does it mean equality in the eyes of the law and equal opportunity or do you mean equality of outcome. Sadly to a lot of people it means equality of outcome.

I don't agree with all of the 'classical liberal' principles actually. I'm not sold on small/limited government. I don't think it can be quantified in that way. I think government needs to be as big as is necessary and certain social programs are needed. I'm also not in favor of free markets. On paper, free markets sounds great but it leads to businesses looking for the cheapest labor possible, outsourcing and becoming too big to fail.

As for equality - Absolutely equal opportunity. I'm vehemently against equality of outcome.

What's to answer? Why do you feel entitled to their platform? When your question has no merit, I treat it like it has no merit.

You've said they're controlling the internet. You've said they're a bunch of sjws. You've said they're society. You've said they're not society. You've given me every answer in the book, none of which are convincing in light of the constitutional law on the matter.

Why do you think your right to free speech grants you a right to Twitter's platform?
Just forget it mate. You'll see the dire effects this censorship will have on society in the coming years. The only thing that was keeping us from killing each other was a free expression of ideas. Now people are being ostracized and forced underground where they become radicalized. That was the greatest benefit of free speech, being able to hash out our differences with words. That is all but gone. Now comes the violence.

Just forget it mate. You'll see the dire effects this censorship will have on society in the coming years. The only thing that was keeping us from killing each other was a free expression of ideas. Now people are being ostracized and forced underground where they become radicalized. That was the greatest benefit of free speech, being able to hash out our differences with words. When words are gone, there is only one other option.

So you don't have a compelling reason. I figured as much.

So now not only are you a snowflake, but also a latent terrorist. Oof. You know the bullet box is the FOURTH box right?

So now not only are you a snowflake, but also a latent terrorist. Oof. You know the bullet box is the FOURTH box right?
Not wanting society to devolve into violence isn't compelling enough?

I think it is.

Not wanting society to devolve into violence isn't compelling enough?

I think it is.

The second amendment has caused society to devolve into exponentially more violence than the first, but I don't see you calling for gun control.

Sorry bud, you left me intellectually wanting.

The second amendment has caused society to devolve into exponentially more violence than the first, but I don't see you calling for gun control.

Define gun control? Gimme something more to work with than an empty hashtag.

It's not going to stop gun violence considering the majority are committed with illegal firearms.

btw you've literally called me a snowflake in this thread like 25 times. This is what I'm talking about with the left becoming increasingly feminized. Just fucking have a discussion like men.

btw you've literally called me a snowflake in this thread like 25 times. This is what I'm talking about with the left becoming increasingly feminized. Just fucking have a discussion like men.

You started the discussion with liberals and their snowflake tendencies, then proceeded to be the most unique snowflake for what, 5 pages now?

Don't act like a spade and I won't call you one. Especially when you're calling other people spades lmao.

You started the discussion with liberals and their snowflake tendencies, then proceeded to be the most unique snowflake for what, 5 pages now?

Don't act like a spade and I won't call you one. Especially when you're calling other people spades lmao.
Is being s snowflake just responding to your points? That's literally all I did.

How can I be a snowflake when I'm basically saying everyone should have a right to free speech?

Is being s snowflake just responding to your points? That's literally all I did.

No, you thinking that your feelings have any bearing on the terms of service of social media companies (even invoking the holy free speech) makes you a snowflake. Hell, i've responded to you a bunch and I STILL don't know why you think the first amendment entitles you to social media platforms. At least another poster tried to take a shot at it. He was wrong as fuck, but I respect the effort.

This? This isn't even foreplay. You're just raging against the tweet machine for no perceptable reason beyond that they won't let your boys shitpost about how the frogs are gay. And somehow this is supposed to be sparking sectarian violence by your side (at your admission).

That's fucking nuts dude.

Falsedawn, here is a better way of looking at internet censorship. Forget the whole "free speech" argument, because we just get caught up in the whole government/private company vortex. Look at it this way, all of these leftist companies are always virtue signalling about "everyone having a voice" and "everyone should be heard." They are not delivering on those principles. Do you at least agree with that?

This? This isn't even foreplay. You're just raging against the tweet machine for no perceptable reason beyond that they won't let your boys shitpost about how the frogs are gay. And somehow this is supposed to be sparking sectarian violence by your side (at your admission).
I was thinking more along the lines of that transexual who shot up Youtube because they banned her...him...whatever.

Calling for gun control isn't a move away from violence. And moving away from violence does not necessitate gun control.

Falsedawn, here is a better way of looking at internet censorship. Forget the whole "free speech" argument, because we just get caught up in the whole government/private company vortex. Look at it this way, all of these leftist companies are always virtue signalling about "everyone having a voice" and "everyone should be heard." They are not delivering on those principles. Do you at least agree with that?

You have a voice. Twitter and Facebook aren't the internet. They aren't even a meaningful slice of the internet. You could come to sherdog and have all the voice you want. You can go to reddit and have all the voice you want. You can go to 4chan and, you guessed it, have all the voice you want.

Since we're abstracting things, let me abstract your relationship with twitter.

-You and twitter live next door.

-You knock on Twitter's door and say "Can I come in"? (Registering for an account)

-Twitter says "Yes, you can come in! Here are our rules." (Terms of service)

-You agree and enter, and Twitter gives you a box to put stuff in. But it stays in their house, and it's their box. (Your account)

-One day, you fuck Twitter's wife, and they tell you that you can't come back to their house anymore. (you get banned)

You're not restricted from using the box, you're restricted from Twitter's house. That the box is inside twitter's house and is theirs is their problem. Nothing is stopping you from getting your own box, or maybe going to another friend's house and using their box, but you can't go to Twitter's house anymore.

Where did you lose your speech rights? You didn't. You lost your venue rights. You can choose another venue and speak to your heart's content, it just can't be Twitter's house.

Make sense?

How the hell is telling Twitter who they can and can't allow to use their (twitter's) platform not infringing on Twitter's freedom of speech?

It's a great way to know who breaths out of their mouth unironically.

I think the real insult is being a conservative and being on the wrong side of history in almost every situation

SereneShorttermFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif

Look in the mirror, bub.

You are allowed to openly support the president.

You're not entitled to use Twitter to do it.

Get the fuck over it, jesus.

<TrumpWrong1>

Federal law does not ban discrimination on the basis of political grounds. Your state laws might address it, but on the federal level, nada.

Same could be said in nfl cracking down on kneeling...

You're not entitled to twitter, they're not required to affirmatively give their consent to you to use their platform, and no amount of tears is going to change the laws to be considerate of your feelings.

Please though, keep trying to silence Twitter's right to not endorse speech by allowing it on their platform. Surprise! Your bitching about being entitled to Twitter is a violation of THEIR constitutional rights.

{<jordan}

Same could be said for a baker refusing to make you a gay cake...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back