Can the Gracies reinvent themselves?

They don’t want to. It’s like Siemens wanting to reinvent themselves after creating the gas chambers in WW2. Oh wait, nevermind.

Who cares. As long as they keep fighting and getting hurt for my pleasure, I'm OK.

No, Roger was the best chance they had. 6'4", GOAT grappler. You couldn't ask for anything more.

But they're just so slow twitch. It's kind of crazy. In the lottery of toughness, they're champions. In the lottery of muscle fibers, they're the worst in the world. They're doomed to be slow twitch dominated forever it seems.

Are you saying they need to get some Yoel Romero genetics into their bloodline?

I felt bad for Jake, looked one dimensional and a step behind in the striking dept. He took tons of damage and his jiu jitsu never set him up to gain an advantage. Does Gracie jiu jitsu needed to be obsessed with striking now that they wrote the book on grappling?
Finally got around to watching this fight. I just don't understand how his striking looks so bad. I know MMA striking is different, and Jake has been "effective" with his unorthodox technique, but after all these years of training, at some you should get better weather you like it or not.

Were I train I've seen complete novice's walk into a gym and within a year there fighting in pro or amateur shows with great technique. Look at TJ Dillashaw. Novice striking to hanging with Lomochenko.

I guess it's a case by case basis type thing. Not hating on Jake, just find it an interesting case study.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I'm still trying to understand why it looks like Jake's striking hasn't improved at all in damn near 20 years of fighting.
This 6 year old girl displays more technique than Jake.

She's a child that's been training for 3 years. Yes I know that at this age you're like a sponge and it's easier to absorb information, but she has done in 3 years what Jake can't seem to do in 20. That goes for Ronda, and Bob Sapp too.

What am I missing hear? Is the extra focus on wrestling, Muay that, BJJ holding back the striking development of certain fighters?

Back