Can someone explain why Joe Rogan never competed in UFC or Jiu Jitsu tourneys?

Because if you had some experience or where around it you'd know that competition provides a unique type of real world exposure and application to the art. You just can't replicate it with rolling with your buddies in the gym. The ONLY salient point I've been trying to make is that its strange that someone who obviously takes it very seriously would conspicuously steer aware from testing himself in a more realistic environment. You clearly are bothered by my feeling so , as evidenced by your returning here what......5 or 6 times in an effort to convince me that its perfectly typical for some guy to devote a decade of his life to perfecting his art only to never really test it.
" A lot of people " is A completely subjective term , and does nothing to challenge the notion that a non competing black belt is non typical." A lot of people" are transvestites too , doesnt mean its not an aberration from the norm.

Sorry for being a douche.

While I am not in the BJJ community I don't find it strange from my perspective given the age he got his black belt and how often he trains BJJ today at all. Maybe if he was a young guy who still trains regularly I would feel a little different about it.

The number of my posts on any subject doesn't mean I am bothered by someone. I just come to Sherdog a lot and post if I have something to say. I don't mind agreeing to disagree if the topic has been covered.

I don't know how typical it is but I don't think it's unheard of or that weird especially given his age and other hobbies/jobs. It probably is an aberration from the norm but I would like to see the stats on people who get their black belts at his age and choose to compete vs. those who don't.

hes rich, hes already proven in combat(TKD). Hes also a legit BJJ practitioner. Hes chillin and enjoying life.

Actually they are but also the lowest possible evidence when empiric data is nonexistent or not possible to obtain. Its called "experts knowledge" and asking other black belts would be the equivalent to that.

Yeah I meant that they aren't an acceptable form of evidence. A black belt may or may not know about how many other black belts there are and their habits. Same with any other hobby or profession.

He talked about fighting someone in UFC 12 years ago, Wesley Snipes was the guy he wanted

Joe has a very nasty side kick and is pretty strong he always talks about pushing himself physically on his podcast yet he never competed in any BJJ tourneys.

Rogan kept making excuses but loved boasting about his tae kwon do, I think he was honestly scared sorta like if he started competing and lost or looked like shit his ego would be tarnished but his image of a martial arts guy would take a huge hit.

Also why did he never compete in BJJ tourneys they have a senior circuit?

Didn't Al Bundys old ass even compete in a tourney I think Rener and Rorion told him if he doesn't do at least one tourney he wont get his belt or something so he competed.

Even CM Punk who is garbage had the balls to fight,

Sean Patrick Flannery the actor from boondock saints is legit with his jits, unlike Rogan he had the balls to compete he was trained for a while under Rickson but mostly under Henry Atkins Rondas ex boyfriend.

SPF also teaches Jiu jitsu and goes to different schools and like Rogan enjoys the art and rolls often.

Maybe Joe can challenge Sean Patrick Flanery to a jiu jitsu fight in Metamoris or polaris? that would be fun to watch and win or lose people would still respect Joe both guys are around the same age and in shape

Both are black belts Joe under Eddie Bravo
11199594_103454119988099_1037461724_n.jpg

sean-patrick-flanery-sean-patrick-flanery-works-out-in-his-hollywood-JWMBMG.jpg

If not BJJ Id love to see Joe Rogan who is similar age to Mario Lopez have a smoker boxing fight with him at Wild card, here is Mario Lopez from 2006 at wild card fighting in a smoker when Roach used to host them.

He doesn’t want to

Would love to see celebrity charity jiu jitsu matches to be honest. Doesn't have the risk as a boxing match, and many more train it for a broader pool

Ashton Kutcher is a purple belt. Him finding another celeb purple would make bank. Maybe Keanu Reeves? Unsure of his belt level, although I know he formally trains not just action movie stunt stuff

Doesnt every Rogan podcast involve him talking about some knee or neck issue he has?

Would love to see celebrity charity jiu jitsu matches to be honest. Doesn't have the risk as a boxing match, and many more train it for a broader pool

Ashton Kutcher is a purple belt. Him finding another celeb purple would make bank. Maybe Keanu Reeves? Unsure of his belt level, although I know he formally trains not just action movie stunt stuff
He's a high level blue IIRC and well rounded in other stuff from movie training.

No he wasn't. Show proof. (actual proof - the tournament date & location, sanctioning body etc)

Haha you think it's that big of a deal to be a national champion of some TKD organization that rented a high school somewhere on a Saturday to compete in....that Rogan desperately needed to lie about it? Why the hell would Rogan lie about his serious training in TKD for....and then trash the fuck out of TKD and most of TMA, for Kickboxing when he later did that.....so this wasn't even during the start of the UFC yet....where he really trashed TKD & TMA all over the place. Him claiming this TKD creds, certainly wasn't to brag about it.

It's stupid as shit to ask me to provide proof of this. Like I'm going to spend my time looking through actual 1980's magazines magazines at libraries or some shit in New Hampshire where he lived during that time. Then what next, microfiche too? Yeah, I'm on the next plane there buddy. GTFO.

Haha you think it's that big of a deal to be a national champion of some TKD organization that rented a high school somewhere on a Saturday to compete in....that Rogan desperately needed to lie about it? Why the hell would Rogan lie about his serious training in TKD for....and then trash the fuck out of TKD and most of TMA, for Kickboxing when he later did that.....so this wasn't even during the start of the UFC yet....where he really trashed TKD & TMA all over the place. Him claiming this TKD creds, certainly wasn't to brag about it.

It's stupid as shit to ask me to provide proof of this. Like I'm going to spend my time looking through actual 1980's magazines magazines at libraries or some shit in New Hampshire where he lived during that time. Then what next, microfiche too? Yeah, I'm on the next plane there buddy. GTFO.
Cool, so he was not 2x national TKD champion. Instead he won some local events. In future don't be making shit up.

He talked about fighting someone in UFC 12 years ago, Wesley Snipes was the guy he wanted

Joe has a very nasty side kick and is pretty strong he always talks about pushing himself physically on his podcast yet he never competed in any BJJ tourneys.

Rogan kept making excuses but loved boasting about his tae kwon do, I think he was honestly scared sorta like if he started competing and lost or looked like shit his ego would be tarnished but his image of a martial arts guy would take a huge hit.

Also why did he never compete in BJJ tourneys they have a senior circuit?

Didn't Al Bundys old ass even compete in a tourney I think Rener and Rorion told him if he doesn't do at least one tourney he wont get his belt or something so he competed.

Even CM Punk who is garbage had the balls to fight,

Sean Patrick Flannery the actor from boondock saints is legit with his jits, unlike Rogan he had the balls to compete he was trained for a while under Rickson but mostly under Henry Atkins Rondas ex boyfriend.

SPF also teaches Jiu jitsu and goes to different schools and like Rogan enjoys the art and rolls often.

Maybe Joe can challenge Sean Patrick Flanery to a jiu jitsu fight in Metamoris or polaris? that would be fun to watch and win or lose people would still respect Joe both guys are around the same age and in shape

Both are black belts Joe under Eddie Bravo
11199594_103454119988099_1037461724_n.jpg

sean-patrick-flanery-sean-patrick-flanery-works-out-in-his-hollywood-JWMBMG.jpg

If not BJJ Id love to see Joe Rogan who is similar age to Mario Lopez have a smoker boxing fight with him at Wild card, here is Mario Lopez from 2006 at wild card fighting in a smoker when Roach used to host them.

Rogan competed in TKD as a youth and was a US Open Champion, he also has a winning record in Kickboxing as an Am.. he quit competing in his early 20's because of concussion symptoms. Rogan is a Black Belt in BJJ under Machado and also under Bravo, but he himself, says he picked up BJJ as more of a hobby, never intending to compete.

In my opinion

#1 because of money / image / brand - competing and having a bad performance / nasty outcome would harm his brand/image
#2 Wouldn't compete in MMA because he is punch shy to some degree - watch him sparing with Wayne Par. Now I say this with respect - the guy has high level jitz, has some scary kicks too - but his comfort with punches being thrown at his head is questionable. He even says as much in a podcast/interview years ago.
#3 I think it would make waaaay more sense for him to compete in Jitz - less chance of a nasty KO or being humiliated someway - easier to preserve his brand/image (which obviously relates to his income as opposed to vanity)

end..
Part of him being a bit punch shy is - he gave up competing in kickboxing almost 30 years ago, and that was after a really bad KO. So if he's gone that long not getting punched in the face on a regular basis - then yeah he's probably going to flinch a bit. Not to mention, he's talked a lot about head trauma, and the dangers of repeated head shots. So at his age, sparing with a guy like JWP - part of that has to be in his mind. But I think you nailed it. If he loses he wont be the fear factor guy with an awesome podcast, a great hosting gig, and a successful stand up career. He'd be "the fear factor guy that got rekt"

Majority of BJJ practitioners do not compete. People do it for fun or self defense not just to prove something to someone. Joe does it for fun and to understand fight game. Why does it bother you so much? did he make you look beta in front of your gf?

Implying Joe doesn't have a Napoleon complex he constantly tries to make up for with attempts at displaying machismo.

UFC came like 5-10 years too late for Joe, he was already making a crazy amount of money, plus he was afraid of CTE before it was CTE.

How much CTE can one expect to get in a BJJ tourney tho?

Probably because he juices a bunch and would never pass a drug test is my guess

he says on his podcast that he has competed in years of TKD compeitions.. he is a martial artist - he does it for protection / self defense and of course a way to stay healthy, fit, have fun ... just because hes really into it doesn't mean he wants to get into an octagon and go to war for money

Part of him being a bit punch shy is - he gave up competing in kickboxing almost 30 years ago, and that was after a really bad KO. So if he's gone that long not getting punched in the face on a regular basis - then yeah he's probably going to flinch a bit. Not to mention, he's talked a lot about head trauma, and the dangers of repeated head shots. So at his age, sparing with a guy like JWP - part of that has to be in his mind. But I think you nailed it. If he loses he wont be the fear factor guy with an awesome podcast, a great hosting gig, and a successful stand up career. He'd be "the fear factor guy that got rekt"
yeap - think we're pretty much on the same page here.

To clarify the punch shy, obviously is relatively speaking... to the best of my knowledge he had 3 kickboxing fights in one night at a tourney. I don't think it was an extended phase of competition or practice.

Again to re-emphisise I think he's a monster on the mat, and kicks like a mule.

BUT his boxing is his weakest area, watch his sparing with John Par, they are going very mild - see what you think - you can just tell with some guys when they have/haven't broken through the "getting punched in the head" anxiety. You can also tell watching him on the pads, good speed and power - but his head stays right on the centre line, chin is up (a bit)... just speaks to me that he hasn't done a huge amount of sparring boxing wise.

And yes - think you surmised the point i was trying to make better than I did - agreed.

Back