Can somebody explain me how Manuwa is top-10?

Rankings don't matter

More of a signal of how shallow LHW is. The contenders are monsters and all pose challenges for the belt, but the lower tier of the top 10 hardly make a mark.

More of a signal of how shallow LHW is. The contenders are monsters and all pose challenges for the belt, but the lower tier of the top 10 hardly make a mark.

in your mind they don't make a mark. so just like i was saying, the point is they need more stars. the talent is there, but they haven't made names for themselves. it also goes that 205/265 sized people are less common in the world, so that translates to less of them in those weight classes.

in your mind they don't make a mark. so just like i was saying, the point is they need more stars. the talent is there, but they haven't made names for themselves. it also goes that 205/265 sized people are less common in the world, so that translates to less of them in those weight classes.

Yeah I don't disagree that LHW needs more stars. Nobodies on a streak and there are hardly any new entries to the division.

LHW is fairly shallow. Yet before Jones, it was one of the most stacked, with the title seemingly changing hands every other fight.

IMO 205 has become somewhat of an awkward division physically in modern MMA.
The "type" of athlete that typically used to rule the division is now better suited for MW. Guys like Wand, Shogun, Nog, Machida, Rashad, Hendo, etc...they are all modern day mws.
This is true with all the weight classes, but the open-ended range at HW has left a small physical window for a man to be successful at LHW.
Not sure how to articulate my point...blah.

Super thin division, the ghosts of relevant fighters are still top 10 at LHW.

He's not.
-- Liam McGeary, Phil Davis, Mo Lawal.
The "UFC" Rankings aren't legitimate MMA Rankings.

EDIT: Wait, Sherdog has him #10...? Hmm... they don't have Rashad ranked at all.

Last edited:
He's not.

-- Liam McGeary, Phil Davis, Mo Lawal.

The "UFC" Rankings aren't legitimate MMA Rankings.

He's a top 10 in the UFC's LHW division which says more about him than anything. Without looking, I assume the names that fall after him are Pat Cummins, Tom Lawlor, Gian Villante, and Corey Anderson. Shallow.

ufc's light heavyweight division is as shallow as their heavyweight division.

who would you place ahead of manuwa? rampage? shogun? rashad?

edit: didn't realize shogun and rashad were already in ufc's top 10 rankings- i was looking at sherdog's top 10.
Rampage should undoubtedly be ranked higher than Manuwa assuming we're looking at recent forms and resumes.

Jones had fighters reconsidering their title shot path.

it would be hard to name 10 better in the UFC unfortunately.

Other than being deprived of talent,there's no new fresh upcoming talents.
That's why Rampage,Lil Nog,Rashad and Shogun are still in the top 12.
Least interesting division.

I was just reading Sherdog's rankings and they have Jimi Manuwa at #10.

I know you should take those rankings with a grain of salt but I just cannot understand this.

Can somebody explain me what Manuwa has done to earn that spot or is 205 really just that bad?

LHW is that bad. The top 5 is great but not much else. It goes in spurts I wouldn't worry about it and Manuwa is not a bad fighter.

Certain people are forced to overrate Manuwa to justify giving Gus so many ridiculous prize fights he didn't deserve.

Simply saying that the guy "has great losses" only works in Bizarroland (aka Sherdog).

At least they don't have Shogun in the top 10 like the UFC rankings do which is equally laughable.

Last edited:
Back