Can I Gain muscle and burn fat?

Comp85t

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I usually post on Bodybuilding forums but most of them don't do a lot of cardio or activity besides lifting but I do cardio everyday, sometimes twice a day and I figured asking here would be more beneficial since I'd assume you guys are much more active than bodybuilders...

I eat high protein, high carb, some healthy fat.

I'm 5'5 and I weigh around 137 lbs. I was 165 in May and my goal is 130-135 before I increase my calories to gain muscle. Most of the fat is gone, I just want to lose most of it so when I eat more to gain muscle, the fat gain will be minimal..

I lift 3 times a week and do cardio everyday, sometimes twice a day and take a break when I feel I need it.

Once I hit my fat loss goal I want to increase my calories to gain some muscle and I'm wondering is this possible with all of the cardio I do? I don't want to stop the cardio as I enjoy it and I'm actually looking forward to the extra energy I'll be able to put into cardio once I increase my calories...

I would assume as long as I am eating enough and clean that I would be able to put on some size? I'm not trying to become a bodybuilder, or be perfect, just put on muscle and not be skin and bones.

To be honest, a perfect physique for me would be something like TJ Dillashaw's. We are the same height and he walks around at 150lbs.

And would all the cardio minimize fat gain while I gain/maintain muscle?

I usually post on Bodybuilding forums but most of them don't do a lot of cardio or activity besides lifting but I do cardio everyday, sometimes twice a day and I figured asking here would be more beneficial since I'd assume you guys are much more active than bodybuilders...

I'm 5'5 and I weigh around 137 lbs. I was 165 in May and my goal is 130-135 before I increase my calories to gain muscle. Most of the fat is gone, I just want to lose most of it so when I eat more to gain muscle, the fat gain will be minimal..

I lift 3 times a week and do cardio everyday, sometimes twice a day and take a break when I feel I need it.

Once I hit my fat loss goal I want to increase my calories to gain some muscle and I'm wondering is this possible with all of the cardio I do? I don't want to stop the cardio as I enjoy it and I'm actually looking forward to the extra energy I'll be able to put into cardio once I increase my calories...

I would assume as long as I am eating enough and clean that I would be able to put on some size? I'm not trying to become a bodybuilder, or be perfect, just put on muscle and not be skin and bones.

To be honest, a perfect physique for me would be something like TJ Dillashaw's. We are the same height and he walks around at 150lbs.

So you want to loose weight to put it back on??

If you want to put on muscle you need to start eating right not cutting back, more protein, watch your macro and you probably want to eat more.

you can lose weight and increase your strenght.

if this matter to you, good, you can.

gaining size while losing size, no you cannot.

;)

I'm not asking that. Did I write it bad or is no one reading because of the title?

I'm asking about bulking while living a very active and cardio lifestyle and how that affects fat.

Eat more calories then you burn. Dont get sucked into buying "tons o shit" bulk stack and all that just yet. I would honestly cut down the cardio. You want too make your body do something different now, so a little change in your day to day is needed. Nice big slow sets of heavy shit and count those macs.

Not saying you would but don't give up on easy gains too roids. Dont be shocked after your first year, to find you only stacked like 5~6lbs(if you lucky! ) of muscle on.

From the sound of it, you put in a lot of gym time and you think about your meals.

Always have some snacks on you and you will fill like you are getting fat but you aren't.

Last edited:
I'm not asking that. Did I write it bad or is no one reading because of the title?

I'm asking about bulking while living a very active and cardio lifestyle and how that affects fat.

It might be the title "can I gain muscle and burn fat" that is misleading

Yet of course you can gain muscle whilst doing lots of cardio. Just do a heavy, progressive weights programme of your choice and eat enough and you'll gain muscle. The only thing you'd need to think about really is ensuring you eat enough carbs around your cardio so that you've not depleted your glycogen but that's not hard. Maybe there is a bodybuilding view that it's not optimal and you'd gain faster if you sat around a lot between weights sessions but that's not great for your health and who cares if it's optimal? Look at it this way: do you think Sage has shit cardio? If you want to look like an MMA fighter then clearly it's possible whilst doing non-weights exercise.

I totally agree with you focussing on fat lost first because usually that is psychologically the hardest thing for most people.

of course you can, just eat clean and dont overdo the calories on the recomp.

i did not read you question TS, the title is really what is bugging people off.

i ask myself...why people want to gain muscle while losing fat?

is changing body composition what they really want? to be more muscular and leaner? if the answer is yes, you just want to get in shape, try a program and lift and eat clean, less calories.This will do the job.You might look smaller, so you will lose -size-.

if you want to get -bigger- or, muscular, and lose fat, then it is a harder task. Its when you have to ve patient. First put on muscle, it will take a while, then cut.

it is really a classic noob question inside gym rats circles.

this dilema tends to lead you to making mistakes like lots of cardio and very little calories (tip: not the right path to get ripped if you dont have lots os muscle)

Take a look at the mirror from diferent angles. You arms, shoulders, back, upper chest.Do you have muscles enough to cut and feel ok with your body? isnt this what you want?

i dont know man... its bugging me ooooooffff....!!!

I would just cut back on the steady state cardio a bit and maybe do no more than one session a day at under 30-35 minutes while still keeping or upping your strength training routine

Creatine brah

I would say Yes/No.

You gain muscle through progressive overload. Meaning, that you have to put more stress on the muscle group that you are trying to work, than you did last time. Depending on how long you have been consistently lifting will determine how difficult it will be to increase your weights.

With that said, you only have so much energy expenditure in a day. I personally lift 3 days a week, and do no cardio on those days. The more cardio that you do, will take away energy needed to progress your lifts. I personally maintain, that you don't have to gain large amounts of fat to build muscle, but you do need to eat at a surplus.

I think your diet, will be the key to your success. You really need to count your macros, take into account your daily caloric expenditure, and adjust accordingly. Try the MyFitnessPal app on your phone.

I hope this helped.

I would say Yes/No.

You gain muscle through progressive overload. Meaning, that you have to put more stress on the muscle group that you are trying to work, than you did last time. Depending on how long you have been consistently lifting will determine how difficult it will be to increase your weights.

With that said, you only have so much energy expenditure in a day. I personally lift 3 days a week, and do no cardio on those days. The more cardio that you do, will take away energy needed to progress your lifts. I personally maintain, that you don't have to gain large amounts of fat to build muscle, but you do need to eat at a surplus.

I think your diet, will be the key to your success. You really need to count your macros, take into account your daily caloric expenditure, and adjust accordingly. Try the MyFitnessPal app on your phone.

I hope this helped.

Great answer.

You can do both of those things. Just not at the same time.

To an extent, although it takes meticulous, daily measurements that would be over the top, expensive and extremely slow.

The OP is kind of odd for multiple reasons.

- TS, you said your goal size and weight is about 150, but you're going to cut first and then go back up to 150? That doesn't make much sense.

Most people put on the muscle they desire by bulking and then cut. You're doing it the opposite, which unintentionally making things more difficult on yourself. I'll explain.

It's going to be far more difficult to maintain a low body fat percentage while bulking up from the 130's to 150's. It's far EASIER to put on the muscle first, then cut the fat / maintain muscle mass.

- It doesn't matter how much cardio you do, if you eat enough calories, you will gain size and weight.

Yes if your calories/macros and training are strict, but its easier to build muscle while gaining some fat.

Yes if your calories/macros and training are strict, but its easier to build muscle while gaining some fat.
This.

Building muscle is done by being on a caloric surplus (while lifting), and a controlled lean bulk (0.5lb/week) will help minimize fat gain. You will gain fat, thats part of being on a surplus, the important part is keeping it to a minimum so when its cutting time, it won't be as difficult to trim it off (not to mention a waste of time if too much was stacked on)

I was 5'9 180 25+% body fat in January.

I got skeleton thin this summer and got a lot of shit for it but i dropped the body fat which was the goal. I was basically cutting until abs came. I think i got to 138. I got a lot of shit for it but ignored it.

I'm now 145 12-13ish body fat %. Face is filled out and i look healthy. Putting on muscle slowly.

I'm clean bulking now and just focused on gains. Feels good now. The hard part was dropping the body fat but i felt that was the essential first step.

just work out and eat healthy = ALL problems solved.

Don´t go after sites and pages with roided up phtoshops with the agend to sell you something

at 137 there is only eating healthy and working out hard and often

Back