Can a non english/ESL fighter achieve Ronda/Conor fame?

• Thread starter Deleted member 500785
  • Start date
Francis being Francis, he'll be cucknations dream king. As NA has a fair portion of the world's share, he'll be a huge, pulsating star, lingua Francais be damned.

Canelo Alvarez can't speak english for shit and he does big numbers and he's younger than both.

He fought some scrub and like 60 thousand people showed up.

Well, Lenny from "Of Mice and Men" was white, so I don't think that's necessarily the issue. It may just be a "big, dumb jock" type of perception when coming across abnormally big & strong individuals.

Edit: Disregard. I realize that you mean "a skin color factor" in regards to how big of a star one could potentially become, correct?

The latter—English language (whether first or second or “old” English) plus skin color plus European/“western” civilizations tend to get the most fans, the quickest. Just an observation.

No. Conor and Ronda have the 2 biggest names in the 25 years UFC has been around, so even all the fighters who speak English don't get as famous.

The level of stardom depends on your home country as well. There aren't going to be a bunch of people from Cameroon waving flags in the arena, they're a little preoccupied with not starving to death.

Oh pish-posh. Sure, Cameroon is a poor country, but it's also a very unequal country with plenty of rich people. With a little aggressive marketing in Yaoundé, I bet they could get a good batch of folks applying for visas and spending big in Vegas. If you can market him as an African, rather than a Cameroonian specifically, you might even be able to get in on that Nigeria money.

398B418A00000578-3855038-image-a-20_1476961919648.jpg

3032_67309155884_7304476_n.jpg

On the other hand, does WME care nearly as much about getting rich foreigners to Vegas as Zuffa did? And how much is it worth investing in promoting a heavyweight, giving the tenure of champions in that division?

Can't really say that, since Ronda grabbed that pair of 1.1 mill events... & Conor's first 2 events were slightly lower than that... but very true for every one after that.

That said, neither of them are even close to Conor for consistency... & Conor walked away from them in his last 3. (4 if you count Floyd)

I'm just repeating what I read...that ronda's best ppv couldn't beat conor's worst.

I was watching a video on Stipe vs Ngannou. The gentleman said "If Ngannou wins, and a couple after he will become a star". I honestly don't see it. Every single time he talks, either Lenny from Of mice and men pops in my head or recently John Coffey from The Green Mile.

Which non english/ESL fighter is the closest to mega fame or possess the abilities to get there? I can't think of one.
Anderson Silva

The latter—English language (whether first or second or “old” English) plus skin color plus European/“western” civilizations tend to get the most fans, the quickest. Just an observation.
Can't argue against that...

I was watching a video on Stipe vs Ngannou. The gentleman said "If Ngannou wins, and a couple after he will become a star". I honestly don't see it. Every single time he talks, either Lenny from Of mice and men pops in my head or recently John Coffey from The Green Mile.

Which non english/ESL fighter is the closest to mega fame or possess the abilities to get there? I can't think of one.

Khal Drogo.

Having a quick google there are some where she does look good.

And others where she looks like a transsexual they pulled straight from the world of Mad Max...

ronda-rousey-interview-on-holly-holm-floyd-mayweat_x4cd.jpg

We’re waiting on the pics of that 10 level gf of yours.

I wouldn't fall into weak stereotypes like that. And to add to your post above. I would have mentioned skin color, but every time I do, they remove the thread.
For the record, I wasn't hinting toward racial stereotypes (Lenny is white, Coffey is black). I was thinking more of a "big, dumb jock" perception. And apologies if it came off as me accusing you of being racist and superficial. Not my intent....

GSP is ESL and he is the GOAT. He's had PPV buys bigger than Ronda and PPV buys in the same neighbourhood as Conor (in MMA). He might not be quite as known to the casuals as Ronda and Conor, but he isn't that far off.

The answer is Georges St Pierre.

Here's the GOAT.

I'm just repeating what I read...that ronda's best ppv couldn't beat conor's worst.
I must of missed that. Is that a part of the persons post that you were quoting & so you were being ironic in saying that? Sorry, I missed the context.

Are people serious when they say they cant understand half of what Conor is saying? Hes speaking english lmao

Back