Opinion California - Another 1.1% Income Tax increase for the Middle Class in 2024

You are really lumping in parks with hospitals and quality schools? I guess I’ve seen it all…

I’m absolutely correct in that every middle (class and up) family in the world that earned their money would consider access to strong public schools a sign and prerequisite of a middle class life. Hence the third data point on Zillow is the school ratings in the area.

Sure there are bad schools adjacent to even rich areas but the rich send their kids to private schools. If you are truly middle class one of the primary drivers of where you seek to live is quality schools, if you plan on procreating and continuing the human species.
And again, that is a separate issue from income tax (zoning, property taxes, school choice, school management, etc). It makes no sense to say that a family in the top 15 percent of income isn't middle class because they live in an area with mediocre schools. Just like a commuter student from a family making 40K and going to a magnet school doesn't magically make them upper middle class.
You can define rich in several ways. I don’t consider $500K rich in Ca. $500K can put you living in decent suburbs and having a decent $2.5M (not at current rates, but at 2018 rates), not extravagant in other states.
If you don't consider being in about the top 1 percent of income for Californians to be rich, you are comically out of touch.
A $2.5M home in south Orange County (inland) would be $700K in nice parts of Texas
Yeah, that's what happens when you have high demand for housing combined with NIMBYs restricting the supply of it. That's a different ball of wax from taxation. Although I'll point out that Prop 13 and its fallout did also reduce housing supply.
Housing is far and away the number one expense, 47 states have no idea what it is like to own a home in CA…
Sure, and I'm all for increasing housing supply drastically. Which is separate issue from a taxpayer making 100K paying an extra $500 due to this tax increase.

And again, that is a separate issue from income tax (zoning, property taxes, school choice, school management, etc). It makes no sense to say that a family in the top 15 percent of income isn't middle class because they live in an area with mediocre schools. Just like a commuter student from a family making 40K and going to a magnet school doesn't magically make them upper middle class.

If you don't consider being in about the top 1 percent of income for Californians to be rich, you are comically out of touch.

Yeah, that's what happens when you have high demand for housing combined with NIMBYs restricting the supply of it. That's a different ball of wax from taxation. Although I'll point out that Prop 13 and its fallout did also reduce housing supply.

Sure, and I'm all for increasing housing supply drastically. Which is separate issue from a taxpayer making 100K paying an extra $500 due to this tax increase.

lol...

Angelenos who make $70,000 a year are still considered ‘low-income’​

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/an...sidered-low-income-statewide-report-says/amp/

If you are a single person in Los Angeles making around $70,000 a year, you are still considered low-income, according to a new statewide study.

The California Department of Housing and Community Development released the report in June and found that income limits have increased in most counties across California.

Here are the income limits for single-person households in Southern California:

• Los Angeles County: $70,650
  • Orange County: $80,400
  • Imperial County: $46,200
  • San Bernardino County: $52,200
  • San Diego County: $77,200
  • Santa Barbara County: $82,950
  • Ventura County: $74,400
The study also showed that single-person households in San Francisco, Marin and San Mateo counties who made $104,000 were also considered low-income.

What the fuck were you saying about making $100K per year not being Middle Class?

Oh, you're right. In some places, $100K is low income.

And California is raising taxes yet again.

The study also showed that single-person households in San Francisco, Marin and San Mateo counties who made $104,000 were also considered low-income.

What the fuck were you saying about making $100K per year not being Middle Class?

Oh, you're right. In some places, $100K is low income.

That's classification for Section 8, which is an entirely different issue. The tiers that program use are acutely low, extremely low, very low, low, median, and moderate. Hint: Section 8 housing is effectively inaccessible in most of California, making the metrics kind of useless when discussing tax policy.

You're far more likely to increase housing supply by increasing taxes on it, aka reworking Prop 13 and Prop 82. But something tells me you would whine about that.
Since you seem to be an expert and I'm assuming you at least understand marginal tax rates, how would you balance California's budget? What would you cut and where would you increase revenue? As mentioned previously, most people bitching about this tax increase don't seem to understand tax brackets.

Why is someone making 60k in the same tax class as someone making 300k?

That's classification for Section 8, which is an entirely different issue. The tiers that program use are acutely low, extremely low, very low, low, median, and moderate. Hint: Section 8 housing is effectively inaccessible in most of California, making the metrics kind of useless when discussing tax policy.

You're far more likely to increase housing supply by increasing taxes on it, aka reworking Prop 13 and Prop 82. But something tells me you would whine about that.

Since you seem to be an expert and I'm assuming you at least understand marginal tax rates, how would you balance California's budget? What would you cut and where would you increase revenue? As mentioned previously, most people bitching about this tax increase don't seem to understand tax brackets.

Balance what budget? lol...

Balance what budget? lol...

Ah yes, glad you are convinced of problems you have no interest or intellectual capacity to discuss solutions to. I'm sure you can tell me about California's rainy day funds as well, or why the state took a hit in revenue.

People should more upset that Newsomes administration misjudge how bad the deficit would be after allowing tax payments to be differed until Nov 23'. You're not going to make it up with a middle class hike. Needs to cut spending, use reserves stashed in bank accounts and figure out a way to get the tech corridor to hire again and keep the capables in the state. Doesn't have much control of borrowing rates but he's got to figure out how to keep pace against tax diaspora

How many times can you be wrong in one thread? Going for the record?

I said proximity to good schools and you think bussing to a far off magnet school changes the proximity? $150K in CA can’t get you a house in nearly any middle class city in the state worth living in. Perhaps you could like in the non meth parts of Corona or Riverside after saving for a while to buy there but you aren’t affording a home in most of Orange County, San Diego, anywhere up North that’s not a ghetto or Stockton-esque.

The US median means nothing in relation to the areas in CA, NY, CT, HI etc… that people want to live in.

Back