Cain Velasquez is the Ken Griffey Jr. of MMA

His best statistical seasons were 96-2000...after the play that allegedely runied his career. Yeah, the wrist hurt him, but it was the hamstring and knee injuries with Cincy that really derailed his career.

Ken ruined his hamstring in 2000 during a spring training game rounding third base. He still played 8 seasons after that.

Cain has the GOAT excuse for a loss. Got murked and beat down because the air was too thin, lmaooo.

No comparison whatsoever. Even with his injury issues, Griffey is 6th on the all time home run list.

I would call him the Shaq of MMA.
Very dominant over a short period of time but doesn't have the longevity of someone like say Tim Duncan.

Another shit analogy. Shaq was one of the top big men in the league from his rookie year until the championship season with the Heat.

That's 13 years playing at the highest level.

As the sport continues to grow and more greats emerge his place as an all time great UFC HW will continue to diminish. Too many injuries, and not just not enough fights. At 34 his clock is really running out..

Ken ruined his hamstring in 2000 during a spring training game rounding third base. He still played 8 seasons after that.
C'mon, man...of those 8 seasons after 2000 he played two seasons of 140+ and only 4 seasons of 100+ games with most of them barely breaking 100. The hamstring injury in 2000 is what ended his elite productive career.

I would call him the Shaq of MMA.
Very dominant over a short period of time but doesn't have the longevity of someone like say Tim Duncan.

Shaq had a long run. He was dominant in Orlando and even more so in LA. 3 straight titles. Cain basically never fights.

As the sport continues to grow and more greats emerge his place as an all time great UFC HW will continue to diminish. Too many injuries, and not just not enough fights. At 34 his clock is really running out..

^This. The record UFC HW title defenses is still 2. TWO defenses.

Cain could have blown that away, and he still might gas in the tank. However, I've got to believe that we're going to get a fresh, young talent at some point who manages to dominant for a long time.

^This. The record UFC HW title defenses is still 2. TWO defenses.

Cain could have blown that away, and he still might gas in the tank. However, I've got to believe that we're going to get a fresh, young talent at some point who manages to dominant for a long time.

Think about how that belt was bouncing around post Chuck at LHW, from Rampage to Forrest, to Rashad, to Machida, to Shogun and then Jones comes along and wins the belt, then goes on to crush all the guys that were passing it around like a hot potato. Then sets the LHW defense record, which he should have set even higher. Someone will do this at HW..

There's comparison whatsoever. I love Cain but ken Griffey Jr is on whole different level.

How can anyone compare the greatest clean baseball player to post usada Cain?

Back