Bulgarian Split Squat: Barbell between legs

Paedde

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I need a way to do them at home and all I have is a barbell. Don't really want to have the bar on my back or in the rack position because I don't trust my balance, don't want to destroy my apartment...

After some searching I found this variation:

maxresdefault.jpg

Is there anything wrong with that? Or should it work just as well as a "regular" BSS?

The kid got a lot of foward lean going there.

IME not all people have the leverages to perform this lift with a normal barbell especially if you're thicker through the thighs and glutes.

A trap bar can work better but you have to really play around with your stance to find the right fit. Also you still tend to run into the same problems as above.

Perform Better actually makes a specific bar for this purpose (the U-Bar, it looks like a trap bar with the back section cut out) but very few facilities have them.

Seems fine I guess, as long as your arms are long enough.

Could that be because the box is too high and not because of the barbell?

I think the position of the bar is pulling him that way. I'd have to try it myself to see.

Weight is weight. If I were you I'd try to use smaller plates so that you aren't limited by the diameter of the plates.

Barbell hack squat, jefferson lift, other variations you can add if you don't trust your balance etc. Still, i think you should squat. Just start off lighter, work your way up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back