Bruce Lee's Heavy Bag Technique

AnAsianMMAKid

White Belt
@White
Reaction score

The second guy in this video is Bruce Lee, the first guy is a student.

I hear a lot of people saying that Bruce's technique on hitting the heavy bag is really bad, but I can't see anything extremely obvious. Here's what's obvious to me:
-Drops hands after punches
-Doesn't keep hands up
-His hooks don't look like they have much rotation (I believe he's pivoting his foot though, just not the rest of his body)
-He looks kind of stiff
-He doesn't corkscrew punch (excusable)
-I can see him using the pendulum step, but not when he's punching, so *next reason*
-It doesn't look like he's putting his weight behind his punches (are you supposed to do this, I'm relatively new)

Also, PLEASE DO NOT START "WAS BRUCE LEE A FIGHTER" POSTS. THIS IS SOLELY TO GAUGE HIS TECHNIQUE, NOT HOW HE FIGHTS.
Any help is appreciated!

you'd be better off putting this in the Standup Technique section (or just searching the forum there as it's been discussed loads of times previously)

The heavy bag is just conditioning I don't judge anyones boxing talent on how they work out on the bag to be honest.

Bruce Lee's style is very outdated by today's standards. The punches he is throwing are kung fu punches. Not punches a boxer throws. He is a product of his environment.

That being said, had Bruce been born in the 90's. He could be a UFC champ for sure. He had a brilliant mind, and was a physical specimen.

seen that footage a million times, i didn't see the ted wong part but I already knew he had some real skills. I met him briefly about 20 years ago when they were trying to put together the Nucleus, a group of bruce lee's students to, to carry on his legacy. Anyway, I've never understood it but Bruce does look pretty bad in that footage, not skillfull and off balance, it doesn't mean that much one way or the other though. In his films he looks way better, and for those of you who want to deride bruce as a movie actor, there are those pesky stories by the likes of Jim Kelly who called him "beyond Michael Jordan" and "unbelievable" and the stories of top martial artists like Louis Delgado admitting how good bruce was and even rumours about real fights or sparring sessions with Joe Lewis and Chuck Norris. I love it really, Bruce left it all a mystery, We'll never know how good/bad he really was, there is just myth and i Personally love that. Think about it, what if Ali decided never to fight again after his exile, we wouldn't call him the greatest heavyweight of his era but we'd wonder how in the world these other guys in the 70's would have beat a guy who was inhuman in his abilities. That would have been cool.

Place in Stand Up forum. More fighters with awareness about technique

Bruce Lee was a tremendous talent, and since JKD is about self-expression, I guess he can fight with whatever posture he wants too. His punch mecahnics aren't bad. Actually they are pretty good. Sharp, solid punches. He allegedly has an amateur boxing background from china (dunno how verifiable that is though) so if that's accurate, then he knows his fundamentals.

Place in Stand Up forum. More fighters with awareness about technique

Bruce Lee was a tremendous talent, and since JKD is about self-expression, I guess he can fight with whatever posture he wants too. His punch mecahnics aren't bad. Actually they are pretty good. Sharp, solid punches. He allegedly has an amateur boxing background from china (dunno how verifiable that is though) so if that's accurate, then he knows his fundamentals.
he beat his highschool champion, was knocked down and got up cursing. no footage of the fight but there is a pic. i doubt if bruce changed his punching style in the bout even though vertical punching would get called a foul by most ammie boxing refs.

Back