Bruce Lee on the heavy bag. Jake Shields is not impressed.

Jake Shields best strike was when he poked GSP in the eye..

The majority of the people who criticise this video aren't trained. He gets a LOT of weight into his shots. his shoulder is all the way back, he knows how to generate a lot of force. His form isn't the best that's for sure, but he wasn't a dedicated boxer.

He's not really doing much different from Jack Dempsey.

Dempsey looks orders of magnitude more skilled/dangerous...

Jake Shields should fucking talk.

Bruce Lee was a fucking beast. Tired of all this "he was just an actor" nonsense. Bruce would knock the majority of posters on this karate forum fucking senseless before they even realize he moved.

Bruce Lee was trained in Wushu and Aikido.

Are you sure about this? Can you site the source?

Most sources say that he had a Golden Gloves boxing match in high school, but that was a GG chapter in Hong Kong = probably not that great. He won. Then he was trained Wing Chun by Yip Man. Nothing about Aikido.

His punches on the bags does not have the "snap" of a pure boxer because it goes with his Jeet Kune Do philosophy of combining aspects from multiple martial arts.

He fought his biggest fight vs. Wong Jack Man, where both claimed that they'd won. WJM placed an ad in the Chinese newspaper, challenging him to a 2nd fight to settle it, and in public (not closed doors like the 1st). Bruce Lee dodge and left town. He wrote in his memoirs how he lost confidence in his Wing Chun and started copying techniques from Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, etc. for his Jun Fan Kung Fu.

So if this video is testament to his pioneering of JKD, then it's basically, decent but not great Boxing/Muay Thai punching....because those are more like WC punches.

When Bruce does these push punches, it is more for feeling out his opponents resistance and getting ready to pull back on any counter punches and to counter the counter.

What the hell does this even mean? I read it like 4 times and can't figure it out, LOL. The way he's punching on that bag, it's more for body shots, digging it in.

He isn't bagging to impress an audience or training for real here, he's playing and having fun FFS!!

yV0V4.gif
Exactly!

Another reason why GOAT isn't a viable concept.

Jake talking about anyone's striking at all is also hilarious. I mean, really? That would be like Ronda criticizing a boxing match.

Bruce Lee was trained in Wushu and Aikido. His punches on the bags does not have the "snap" of a pure boxer because it goes with his Jeet Kune Do philosophy of combining aspects from multiple martial arts. When Bruce does these push punches, it is more for feeling out his opponents resistance and getting ready to pull back on any counter punches and to counter the counter. His striking arsenal was more reliant on kicks to put down opponents.

Dude is ahead of the times even by today's standards.

Ummm bs. Where’s proof backing any of that?

Bruce is the same weight as Mouse I think, and MM would starch him.

I have nothing to say to the handful of idiots critiquing Bruce Lee's form here. There is very little windup and Lee is maximizing his power. By all accounts Bruce would be capable of knocking out 200 pound men in his sleep. Ask Chuck Norris if Lee had any real power to speak of.

That's not Jake Shields' doing though, pretty sure he sold his account for tree fiddy.

Though his technique is just ancient, you cannot deny those punches are powerful as shit. He is about 5'7" max, and at his peak was 155ish, there's one of my friends that size who could probably give him a run for his money in the power department, but look at that bag go...

Not common at all; you got to have the bones and body structure to absorb the shock.

he was in movies after all

Though his technique is just ancient, you cannot deny those punches are powerful as shit. He is about 5'7" max, and at his peak was 155ish, there's one of my friends that size who could probably give him a run for his money in the power department, but look at that bag go...

Not common at all; you got to have the bones and body structure to absorb the shock.
that was probably like a 70 pound bag

Lee's biggest contribution to the sport was his philosophy. Train in every discipline you can and keep what works for you, discard the rest. That's essentially what modern mixed martial artists do.

I usually merk people as Bruce lee in ea UFC. He'd be GOAT in real life.

Back