Broomstick Mat Return

asian-glow

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

What do you guys think of this move? It has been popularized in the past few years due to Gordon Ryan and Renzo Gracie. Safe? Efficient? Effective?

I'm particularly curious about the safety of this technique on my partner's knee or ankle as I drop my weight. Renzo kind of circles around the guy after he inserts the hook which kinda concerns me from a safety standpoint.

Seems like one of the more efficient and safe mat returns, although it does lack the theatrics of some of the higher amplitude mat returns.

its a nice move but u gotta really commit to it and drill it alottt first few times its awkward cause you only balance on 1 leg for a second before falling back ben askren likes doing a claw grip renzo prefers double under i think i like double unders better too

It's safe and effective. My BJJ coach taught this to us as a defense to a high single leg, and I thought it was the coolest thing, although I've never been able to use it to defend that I still use it to this day after I do a duck-under to safely take the back.

Listen...bjj guys were fucking up their knees doing taniotoshi, a throw taught to children, because they have poor awareness of how knees function in standing / standing work in general.

You can bet your bottom dollar that more than one is going to get their "broomstick" snapped or cause serious knee injury.

It's just not worth the risk. Choose a different mat return.

It's safe and effective. My BJJ coach taught this to us as a defense to a high single leg, and I thought it was the coolest thing, although I've never been able to use it to defend that I still use it to this day after I do a duck-under to safely take the back.

That's how it was originally shown to me as well.

It is a knee reap, the other knee reap from standing back is a leg entanglement like an imanari roll without the roll.

Its a good move, especially with the rules now in wrestling. If you have a 2 on 1 wrist ride, you can no longer lift them off the mat. Its an instant 1 pt penalty and you reset. Having a 2 on 1 is such a dominant hold, you have to figure out ways to mat return without lifting and without losing your 2 on 1. This move solves that problem. Any leg rider since 1950 has used this move extensively.

Believe this is the takedown Kron Gracie did to Alex Caceres as well.

Believe this is the takedown Kron Gracie did to Alex Caceres as well.

It looked like he was trying to do it but didn't get him down until he sort of jumped off the cage with the other leg.

Back