British Columbia boxing

actjac

Down goes Frazuh...down goes Frazuh
@purple
Reaction score
This is a genuine inquiry.. . . Please no sarcastic or critical comments.

If you have any knowledge please contribute your opinion on who the biggest names, most successful boxing figures (amateur, pro boxers and coaches) of British Columbia boxing history have been. If I had the time and wasn't so lazy I could more fully research this.

Jimmy McLarnin, Michael Oladjide Jr., Tony Pep, Dale Walters, Harold Mann, Laurie Mann, Jaime Ollenberger are a few that immediately stand out. . . .please share more.

Gordie Racette was once thought of having the eye of the tiger, and Billy Townsend was once voted the greatest lightweight to have ever come out of Canada by Ring Magazine. Both from Nanaimo.

BC doesn't exactly have much of a history when it comes to boxing, though, when compared to other parts of Canada. A few HOF'ers like Willie Pep, Archie Moore, and Michael Spinks had a fight or two in this province. Both Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis fought some exhibition bouts here. Of course the Ali-Chuvalo rematch took place in Vancouver.

Murray Greig's book "Goin' the Distance" covers most/all of the fighters from BC who had some semblance of success with brief bios at least. Jim Christy's book "Flesh & Blood" goes into a few of those guys you mentioned (Olajide, Pep, Ollenberger) in more detail, as I think all of them get a chapter dedicated to them.

Back