Bring on the battery lawsuit

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
You guys might laugh, but Daniel Cormier has a clear path to sue Jon Jones for battery now. They agree to fight under certain terms, which makes the fight not considered battery. Breaching those conditions, however, makes the fight battery. One way to breach those conditions is to use banned substances.

All DC needs to do is sit out for another 6-8 months, after a fight in which he was clearly concussed, and he can easily claim 5-10 million dollars of damages, to say nothing about the punitive damages he can also ask for.

DC has been fighting twice a year on average for the last few years. If he's forced to miss 8-10 months with post-concussion symptoms, then that represents lost wages from Jon Jones steroid induced battery. Jones would be forced to settle for 4-5 million, or potentially face immediate bankruptcy.

You guys might laugh, but Daniel Cormier has a clear path to sue Jon Jones for battery now. They agree to fight under certain terms, which makes the fight not considered battery. Breaching those conditions, however, makes the fight battery. One way to breach those conditions is to use banned substances.

All DC needs to do is sit out for another 6-8 months, after a fight in which he was clearly concussed, and he can easily claim 5-10 million dollars of damages, to say nothing about the punitive damages he can also ask for.

DC has been fighting twice a year on average for the last few years. If he's forced to miss 8-10 months with post-concussion symptoms, then that represents lost wages from Jon Jones steroid induced battery. Jones would be forced to settle for 4-5 million, or potentially face immediate bankruptcy.
You're nuts go to law school

Meh, when DC got his nose kicked sideways by Rumble, he told Hogan,

"I'm an old school wrestler, if it's broken, we'll just pop it back in place."

He's not gonna sue anyone.

wouldn't mind. fuck jones

GRsWE3o.gif

You make some great points but I think you're forgetting that DC isn't a giant pussy

That would be fucking awesome and hilarious. If nothing else just to salt all the whiney fucks here on Sherdog.

I'm not holding my breath.

But Jones didn´t take them on purpose so you can´t sue him for that.

You make some great points but I think you're forgetting that DC isn't a giant pussy

I agree with you that DC may not sue. However, filing a lawsuit for battery from a fight in which your steroid fueled opponent concussed you is not 'being a pussy' -- it's called being an adult. That mentality of 'don't be a pussy bro' is very childish and naive. DC will be an adult, and weigh the pros and cons of filing the lawsuit. If he feels it will benefit him in the long run, he will do it.

Lol, but if Jones swears he didn´t, can they proceed on with a battery case? (but yes we all know he took them intentionally)

It is a great point though, proving intent. However, DC won't need to do this -- the commissions decision will determine intent. If the commission rules that Jones is guilty of willful PED use (i.e. being a "steroid cheat"), then DC could use this as evidence in court. Because this would be a civil lawsuit, the burden of proof is much lower. It would be hard to find Jones guilty of battery in a criminal trial.

This is how the Goldman family ruined OJ Simpson's life. He was found not guilty of criminal charges, but the family still successfully sued him for the murders in civil court.

Last edited:
More evidence for the court in case Cormier's legal team is watching:

Never getting through a court!

Counter arguements:
- plenty of fighters sit out 8-10 months between fights so there is arguably no loss of earnings (or at best a couple of months delay in earnings so a much lower claim amount)
- brain damage is cumulative.....would be difficult to prove exactly what damage he sustained in this particular fight that all his other fights didn't contribute towards
- jones 'breaching contract' or not DC knew the risks when he signed up and proving the roids/PEDs had a marked affect on the damage he was inflicting is gonna be tough

Add in to that a court's perception of MMA as some kind of bare knuckle underground fighting and fighters being meatheads anyway.

Not saying I'm not with you on this one TS that DC should have some recompense......but getting this through a court gonna be impossible.

Also I'm sure the UFC contracts have them waiving their rights to do anything against the UFC or their fighters

Back