Brian Stann weighs in on BJ Penn's comments (AUDIO)

Rikston

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Brian Stann weighs in on BJ Penn's recent comments about money fights; fans also call into Brian's show [Toe-2-Toe on SiriusXM] and give their thoughts on the topic.

BJ is done. What is left for him is couple of 'money' fights and thats it.

Brian "Guile" Stann
Brian "The All American" Stann

BJ Penns last win was against Hughes in 2010. Why is he talking shit on fighters who are (at least) relevant and want to get paid?

He's right. BJ made himself a star by seeking out the toughest competition in several weight classes, and finished. The money fights came to him. A lot of these guys skip the hard part of establishing themselves and want the big bucks right away instead, but ironically you only get those with a fan base and that means a lot of work.

I get what he means. Max Holloway was talking about not wanting the money fights but instead wanting to become his own money fight, i.e he is the star. It makes perfect sense, but easier said than done of course.

isn't BJ rich or something ?
yea but that has nothing to do with what Stann's talking about. He means money fights in general and how to pursue them, the current trend, and BJ's answer was to KO a bunch of guys and be the money fight himself. Which he already did back in the day.

isn't BJ rich or something ?

I remember reading on Sherdog that his family are a big deal. He never had to fight for money. That's some warrior shit.

images

BJ is not a money fight, so which "money fighter" would want to fight him?

When fighters can call out other fighters,, this ceases being a legitimate sport and becomes entertainment..... Back in the day,,, the FANS were tired of BJ tearing through the division,, they wanted to see him move up and fight GSP.. All BJ wanted was a good fight..

I agree with the first caller. You can't demand money fights unless you are a big draw, but title holders should automatically be paid very well for having risen to the top. The UFC should step up, invest in, and pay their champions well, whatever their drawing power. It's simply a matter of respect for the champion of their brand.
Also, I think that fighters demanding big paydays before anything else lose fans and drawing power by default. Stripping a character's motivation of factors like pride to be the best, wanting to be considered the greatest of all time, etc--if you lack these narratives, then you are not following someone on a quest. There is no story, nothing to root for in that fighter, IMHO.

BJ is not a money fight, so which "money fighter" would want to fight him?

Are you dumb? He's not talking about himself, h s talking about the attitude of current fighters. If you can't kept up, stay out of the convo

Stann lost credibility to me when he tried to sell us that fighters were happy with the Reebok deal, and it was a good thing in the long run.

BJ Penns last win was against Hughes in 2010. Why is he talking shit on fighters who are (at least) relevant and want to get paid?

Faber was 1-0 vs Cruz when BJ last won a fight :D

JUST SCRAP!

But BJ and Stann are right, the money fight ordeal is comical for some and delusional for most.

The only real "money" fights the UFC could have sold was GSP vs Silva or Fedor vs Lesnar.

Back