Bret Hart Shawn Michaels

lakersfan45

That's sardo! No mr, accent on the do!
@Gold
Reaction score
only wrestled twice in their primes. From 96 to 98 shawn and Brett wrestle twice and are two of the most memorable matches in history. WM 12 is considered one of he best wrestlemania matches of all time and survivor series one of the most controversial and direction changing matches of all time.

Could U guys imagine HBK and Brett with the Austin and rock of the attitude era (like the amazing Austin hart fued of survivor series 96 and mania 13)

Hart Austin survivor series 96 is as great as their mania match but not mentioned nearly as much

Would've been more appropriate, IMO, if Hart had been the one to pass the torch to Austin at Mania 14. Not only that, he could've worked some great angles with up-and-comers like the Rock, Kurt Angle, etc had he stayed. Instead, his talent was buried by, along with everyone else's, by the genius minds st WCW.

Would've been more appropriate, IMO, if Hart had been the one to pass the torch to Austin at Mania 14. Not only that, he could've worked some great angles with up-and-comers like the Rock, Kurt Angle, etc had he stayed. Instead, his talent was buried by, along with everyone else's, by the genius minds st WCW.

Hart didnt get buried by WCW, bishoff strictly wanted him to be "the guy" to headline WCW thunder which launched in 98. But a stiff kick to the head by goldberg caused a severe concussion which caused Hart to retire early.
As much as WCW messed up, Harts career being shortlived wasnt their doing.

Hart didnt get buried by WCW, bishoff strictly wanted him to be "the guy" to headline WCW thunder which launched in 98. But a stiff kick to the head by goldberg caused a severe concussion which caused Hart to retire early.
Hart was white-hot coming off of Montreal; WCW could've brought him, and pushed him right off the bat, and it would've drew money. Instead, they brought him in a month later, to work an angle against 50yr old Flair. And no offense to Ric, but that was a huge wasted opportunity by WCW. And that's just the first in a line of questionable booking. WCW booking just continually got worse after '97.

Hart was buried by Hogan's creative control at Starrcade 1997. So was the future of the company.

I think both guys egos were so big they couldn't be in the same room (or ring) together after it became apparent that Shawn was sort of taking Brets place after Wrestlemania 12. Had Shawn stayed heel or Bret had turned heel sooner it would have worked better for both of them. But you have two phenomenal talents both vying for the same spot, it was bound to get ugly.

I guess the same could have happened between Rock and Austin around WMX7 but I think both guys were a little more professional, not to mention Rock had other things to do. Bret was in a similar position, wanted to be an actor but it obviously didn't work out as well for him.

I like the way everything turned out, except for what happened to Bret. Nobody deserves to go out like that.

Nah they fucked up

Unadvertised and underwhelming debut at Starrcade

No direction for months

The best thing he did was his promo in Canada against Goldberg

You are kidding right?
WCW absolutely fucked up the handling of, at the time of the screwjob, a red hot talent.

And Starcade 1999 concussion was a full YEAR after his WCW debut. The concussion had nothing to do with him not being the top guy on Thunder. Thunder was a poorly mismanaged show to begin with. They diluted the talent appearances so badly instead of trying to keep certain guys on one show.

Hart should have been moved into a feud with the top guys, not Ric Flair. A debut as a "Special guest referee" at Starcade was also horribly done. Not only did they fuck up the "Bischoff has a piece of steel in his shoe(it flew out into the crowd as Bret Watched and loled wondering if he should improvise), but the whole idea of him coming out to help Sting because of a "Fast count" which was the slowest count ever seen was also comical.

There were a million ways they could have gone after the fans finally got the Sting vs Hogan Payoff(Or in this case, they got fleeced from their payoff lol), but they basically did nothing with him.

I am not sure at the time it was possible to play Hart as a Babyface given how brutally he had been thrashing America for the past year, but given the screwjob sympathy? I admit they had a slight chance at it.

They should have reformed the Canadian Stable. If not as the Hart Foundation, as something else. Benoit would have been a good replacement for Owen(Since Vince refused to let him go), and they had numerous other Canadian talent.

Even they did not know what to do. They usually flew by the seat of their pants, as opposed to how the WWE mapped out storylines Months in advance. Bret turned Heel and back to face and to heel again multiple times in single episodes. It was a clusterfuck. Every match he was in was decided by interference or DQ. Complete non-psychology. Which was (Psychology) Bret's strength.

Someone else already mentioned this, but his KO of Goldberg with the steel plate WAS the best thing he did in WCW.

Overall, Bret was a huge politic guy in WWF. He routinely tried changing finishes to make himself go over more and really only cared about how he was portrayed.

Its not surprising people he did that too tried to keep him down in WCW. That and Bret himself said he did not try to fight for himself in WCW. He pretty much said after the screwjob "Nobody will ever accuse me of taking myself too seriously again". In his own book he said that

Bret/Shawn causes a temporal wake in the Space/Time continuum (thanks Star Trek) if booked any other way.

If Bret/Shawn rematch at Wrestlemania XIII, you don't have the Bret/Austin Submission Match the same night.

If Bret doesn't leave for WCW, maybe it's Bret/Austin for the title at Wrestlemania XIV

Bret stays and goes on to have programs with Austin, Rock, Undertaker, Jericho, Angle, Benoit.

Possibilities are endless.

They also had a great champion vs champion match at Survivor Series 92.

They also had a great champion vs champion match at Survivor Series 92.
Yeah but Shawn wasn't near his prime at that point. He was still tweaking a lot of his offense and psychology. It's a decent match but far from prime vs prime

Yeah but Shawn wasn't near his prime at that point. He was still tweaking a lot of his offense and psychology. It's a decent match but far from prime vs prime
Prime is subjective.

Prime is subjective.
even so, i think most would agree. even his psychology wasnt close to what it evolved to. dont get me wrong, he was still a great talent then. but he went from good/great to top tier/ one of the best.

bret seems to be in a bad mood in that interview. i'm surprised to hear that in these days.

as far as hall, yeah i'm not surprised at all. i wish he has a little more of that bret hart in him though and a little bit of a mark of himself.... he could have done much more if he was. its a good disparity between those two.

That's not how he explains it. Injury aside....Hogan snuffed out any angles or ideas Brett brought to the table.

Bischoff wanted Bret because WCW was still struggling overseas even when they were kicking WWE's ass here. Hall and Nash welcomed him with open arms because they had a favored nations clause in their contracts.

Bischoff wanted Bret because WCW was still struggling overseas even when they were kicking WWE's ass here. Hall and Nash welcomed him with open arms because they had a favored nations clause in their contracts.

Back