Most obvious candidates imo:
- Ngannou
- Volkan
- Robert whittaker

Honorable mentions:
- Borrachinha
- Darren Till
- Kamaru Usman

Let me know if i forgot anyone or if anyone does not really qualify as "breakthrough" here

ps* (poll would be nice)

Im guessing Francis takes it easy

Francis N'gannou

If he KO's Miocic he will become this

zXucbi.gif

an African star..

Even though she only had two fights this year, Thug Rose is definitely up there.

Erick Silva

Max, Francis, Rose, Bobby Knuckles,

Francis easy

Even though she only had two fights this year, Thug Rose is definitely up there.
she isnt exactly breakthrough though...

rose has been under the spotlight for a while now.

it took a long time for her to mature, but im not sure she qualifies as breakthrough

was Ngannou an underdog in any of his fights this year?
wasnt for the reem fight?

i dont think that dude was ever the underdog for any of his fights. reem was the only opponent with strong credentials to be a favorite right?

either way, would that disqualify him?

Probably Robbie, the guy has been an underdog in all his fights.

Got to be Sherdog's own Robert Whittaker.

Actually had better wins than the Champ of the division at the time.

For women = Cynthia Calvillo going 4-0 (2 subs, 1 tko, 1 UD) and chance to go 5-0 in 2017

For Men= Whittaker because he earned the Belt

Whittaker was an underdog in the Jacare and then Romero fights. Has to count for something.

And Volkan made his UFC debut this year and is already fighting for the belt in January, so maybe him.

Took him less than a year to get into the UFC and get a title shot.

If whittiker didnt get hurt and kept that momentum it would be him. Easy to say Ngannou. I would say Volkan as he has quickly gotten himself talked about and has an awesome rememberable gimmick with the no time. He gets it. Joanna got it. If you international and no one can say your name or you speak no english, get an awesome nickname and gimmick so people will remember you. I cant say how many non us fighters i am fans of but always forget the name to the face. A gimmick or nickname really helps.

she isnt exactly breakthrough though...

rose has been under the spotlight for a while now.

it took a long time for her to mature, but im not sure she qualifies as breakthrough

wasnt for the reem fight?

i dont think that dude was ever the underdog for any of his fights. reem was the only opponent with strong credentials to be a favorite right?

either way, would that disqualify him?

Favorite over overeem

It would disqualify him for me at least

I like Till here. Nobody saw him coming

For women = Cynthia Calvillo going 4-0 (2 subs, 1 tko, 1 UD) and chance to go 5-0 in 2017

For Men= Whittaker because he earned the Belt
damn, nice catch... that flew under the radar

and quite frankly, i cant even remember her fights. not even with you mentioning it. i guess i just dont pay that much attention to wmma. im not even a hater, just cant recall

Back