Television Breaking Bad

Ironically, that's the one episode that was directed by Rian Johnson... who wrote & directed The Last Jedi.

And also ironically, I liked 'the fly' episode and it displays how Rian Johnson actually is a great director... but a godawful script writer... just like Zack Snyder.... as he've proven every time he's directed anything he did not write.

He also directed Ozymandias the best episode in the show. Which is what got him the role of directing the Last Jedi.

Yeah he was just a bad fit for a franchise film. Hes no doubt incredibly talented. Unlike JJ Abrams.

I'm like you. I avoided it because it just didn't look interesting. But I finally gave it a shot and really enjoyed it. It's probably in my top 5 favorite shows now.
Gave it a shot. Fun premise, great pilot and overall okay show so far. I'm halfway into season two and enjoying it, but it's a bit corny and sappy for my taste. Had some interesting plotpoints in the beginning but after they wrapped up it's been treading water a bit. I'd be interested to hear what your top 5 are.

GoT is great until they ran out of material from the author and just started winging it for the last three series... then it was a big letdown :(

Has to be in the running for biggest drop off ever. I'm sure there are other shows that sucked in the final seasons but they weren't at GoT level heights prior to the fall.

Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Wire
The Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire

All GOAT level episodic crime series. The Shield is great too. As far as miniseries in a similar genre goes I'd add:

Time
Black Bird
The Night Of
Unbelievable

Damn, against most of your political views but your tv picks are spot on (aside from the shield; but FX series are popular on this board so I may be the odd one)

not understanding the negativity surrounding the later seasons of Better Call Saul? i just finished season 5 & it was the best season so far. the show is at its best when Lalo Salamanca is in it, & his storyline revs into full gear in season 5.

I'd agree with that, & also add the distinct possibility that Walter 'there can't be a single fucking fly in the lab' White cleaned & slicked his gear more than any legit veteran or modern LARPing wannabe spec ops prepper out there

The armory Gunners Mates who took perverse pride in power tripping on anyone returning an M60 with a single spec of dust would like a word...

Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Wire
The Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire

All GOAT level episodic crime series. The Shield is great too. As far as miniseries in a similar genre goes I'd add:

Time
Black Bird
The Night Of
Unbelievable
Shield is GOAT level. Better than BB in my opinion. Edges out the HBO shows in that it was limited to its content because it was on basic cable vs premium channels where we got Nick Sobokas gfs tits..

Shield is GOAT level. Better than BB in my opinion. Edges out the HBO shows in that it was limited to its content because it was on basic cable vs premium channels where we got Nick Sobokas gfs tits..
that show was pretty damn good, but I'm not quite as fond of it as BB

Damn, against most of your political views but your tv picks are spot on (aside from the shield; but FX series are popular on this board so I may be the odd one)
I liked The Shield a lot for what it was, but wouldn't quite put it up there with the rest as far as overall quality goes. Glad to hear you approve.

Gave it a shot. Fun premise, great pilot and overall okay show so far. I'm halfway into season two and enjoying it, but it's a bit corny and sappy for my taste. Had some interesting plotpoints in the beginning but after they wrapped up it's been treading water a bit. I'd be interested to hear what your top 5 are.
Yeah season 1 was the best, but I liked the characters enough that I wanted to see the other seasons too.

My top 5 shows all time:

1. Breaking Bad
2. House MD
3. Monk
4. 30 Rock
5. Ted Lasso

I liked The Shield a lot for what it was, but wouldn't quite put it up there with the rest as far as overall quality goes. Glad to hear you approve.

I think my gripe with Shield (and Justified) is they include a "bad guy of the week" sub story plot. Which to me takes away from the focus on the long play story arc. While BB, wire, sopranos, BCS all just keep building on story telling for the long arc

I think my gripe with Shield (and Justified) is they include a "bad guy of the week" sub story plot. Which to me takes away from the focus on the long play story arc. While BB, wire, sopranos, BCS all just keep building on story telling for the long arc
Yeah I feel the same, that's why I am more into episodic shows that structure cohesive narratives. Still, if memory serves, the Shield did that to some extent, at least more than Justified did. I thought Justified was alright, helped by the two leads which I like a lot - Olyphant and Goggins - but the show was just a little too nonsensical and inconsistent for me.

Speaking of favourite shows, I think if I had to make a top 10 across all genres, it would probably include these:

Deadwood
The Wire
BCS
BB
Boardwalk Empire
Arrested Development
It's Always Sunny
Curb
GOT S1-4
Firefly

You?

Speaking of favourite shows, I think if I had to make a top 10 across all genres, it would probably include these:

Deadwood
The Wire
BCS
BB
Boardwalk Empire
Arrested Development
It's Always Sunny
Curb
GOT S1-4
Firefly

You?
this guy gets it.

this guy gets it.
200w.gif

In that same vein, legendary as BB is, BCS edges it out overall for me. The depth & quality of the storytelling is so high level. I sorta think of it in martial art terms, BB was great purplebelts making a show, but by the time they finished it, it was fine blackbelts making BCS from the jump. Even just like the Lalo storyline alone for example, is told in such a great degree of superbly-executed detail.

In that same vein, legendary as BB is, BCS edges it out overall for me. The depth & quality of the storytelling is so high level. I sorta think of it in martial art terms, BB was great purplebelts making a show, but by the time they finished it, it was fine blackbelts making BCS from the jump. Even just like the Lalo storyline alone for example, is told in such a great degree of superbly-executed detail.
Tony Dalton also has so much goddamn charisma that his presence alone amplifies any scene w/ Lalo

I thought it kept things interesting with multiple arcs spanning different time frames and characters with the Strike Team vs the inevitable always present.

To each their own though.

Tony Dalton also has so much goddamn charisma that his presence alone amplifies any scene w/ Lalo

They really found a 24k goldmine with that casting

bx4w206ybwj81.gif

And to think, fhe character almost didn't exist. Vince Gilligan fully admits, he wanted to skip the 'Lalo' reference from BB when they were in the writers room for BCS, but it was Peter Gould who was insistent, and fought for making Lalo into a character & inserting him into the show. Thank gawd

not understanding the negativity surrounding the later seasons of Better Call Saul? i just finished season 5 & it was the best season so far. the show is at its best when Lalo Salamanca is in it, & his storyline revs into full gear in season 5.
It's because they drag every plot point out until it is pushed to death 20 times and you know the resolution episodes ahead. It's often a slow drag with absurd character development that makes little sense to fit it in the BB universe. Saul & Howard , Kim & Howard , Kim & Saul it's a clusterfuck of nonsense at some point . Lalo is fantastic but you know exactly how it ends which diminishes the suspense a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wavemeter
Back