Boy Scouts set their sights on recruiting girls; Girl Scouts fight back

G

Guestx

Not sure if anyone here was a Scout growing up, but it seems like these are not the best days for the organization.

As per the Washington Post:

Long plagued by declining membership, the Boy Scouts are considering a campaign to recruit in a previously untapped market: girls.

The Girl Scouts aren’t having it.

A feud between the two largest scouting organizations broke into the open Tuesday when the president of Girl Scouts of the USA called the Boy Scouts’ “covert campaign” to recruit girls “reckless” and “unsettling” in a letter obtained by BuzzFeed News. A Girl Scouts spokesman confirmed the letter in an email to The Washington Post.

“We were disappointed in the lack of transparency as we learned that you are surreptitiously testing the appeal of a girls’ offering to millennial parents,” Girl Scouts President Kathy Hopinkah Hannan wrote in her letter to Boy Scouts President Randall Stephenson. “Furthermore, it is inherently dishonest to claim to be a single gender organization while simultaneously endeavoring upon a co-ed model.”

She said the Boy Scouts’ “well documented” declining membership — its numbers have dwindled by a third since 2000, to just more than 2 million as of 2016 — is behind its push to include girls.

The Boy Scouts said in a statement to The Washington Post that they are considering including girls in their ranks not to boost their numbers but in response to requests from families who want their daughters to be a part of the same organization as their sons.

“The Boy Scouts of America believes in the benefit of single-gender programs,” said the statement from the Boy Scouts’ director of national communications, Effie Delimarkos. “But in evaluating the possibility of serving the whole family, we’ve been having conversations with our members and volunteers to see how to make Scouting accessible for families.”

Full article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-increase-membership/?utm_term=.8d6e0f2fc30c

Any former Scouts care to weigh in on this?

I thought The Brady Bunch settled this issue a thousand years ago

The Boys Scouts have really gone to shit in the last several years.

Britney-Spears-Does-Not-Approve-Reaction-Gif.gif

The scouts don't seem to be remotely close to what they they were when I was a kid. It was awesome when I was 8-13 but nowadays it's just lame ass one night campouts with everyone's parents tagging along.

Sounds to me like the girl scouts aren't being very progressive.

Also this would get way better responses in the War Room.

They're just trying to find some kids the scout leaders won't try to molest.

The scouts don't seem to be remotely close to what they they were when I was a kid. It was awesome when I was 8-13 but nowadays it's just lame ass one night campouts with everyone's parents tagging along.
Just wait until those repressed memories of your late night 1-on-1's with Scout Master Pedro come back

<{ohyeah}>

Why are they losing members? Doesn't this play into that?

Why are they losing members? Doesn't this play into that?

I'm also curious about why they're losing members.

My guess is that kids today just don't give a shit about the kinds of the things the Scouts focus on. They just want to play videos and hang out on Facebook.

Maybe some fathers here have sons in the Scouts? Or were Scouts themselves and still have feelings and thoughts about the organization?
Sorry for my shitposting response, but if they're trying to recruit girls then that's just another nail in the coffin for Boy Scouts imo.

Why would anyone want to join the boy scouts anyways? The kids I knew that joined were huge cans.

I'm an eagle scout, it was a worthwhile experience and something that has helped me in my professional life. I had a great scoutmaster, no creeps at any level, and I wouldn't trade what I learned for the world. That being said, I was one of the last ones of my troop, enrollment was petering out when I got out, likely thanks to the way that social interactions have changed due to technology. I'm sure there are articles about kids not playing outside anymore, etc.

I don't know why Boy Scouts would try to recruit girls, but I do know that Girl Scouts have quite a different set of skills and training.

Pterodactyl scout here, I think this is ridiculous. I didn't work hard for 2 seconds to make up a fake rank in a dopey organization just to let it be infiltrated by a bunch of little hags even though I already knew the situation prior to writing such a post because I read the OP and decided to write this just to be included!

tumblr_nmypup4GPT1u62kq7o1_500.gif

We didn't care about the boy scouts when we were kids so why should we care now?

Back