Boxing vs. Muay Thai: Better standup base for MMA?

TheRainSong

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The science of 8 limbs with full use of the knees, kicks, elbows and clinch vs . the sweet science, the footwork, handpeed, distancing and timing of a boxer? Discuss

There is no solid answer to this.. Both are very good

so would u rather be pretty good at everything or just really good at one thing?

in the fight game, and in mma...

you better be pretty good at everything

Muay Thai

I've been told its best to start out with Boxing as a base for Muay Thai and then work on the knees,elbows, kicks etc from there

so would u rather be pretty good at everything or just really good at one thing?

in the fight game, and in mma...

you better be pretty good at everything

Muay Thai

pretty much took the words outta my mouth

Hard to say. I think good boxing would trump MT. Kenny and Anderson are two fighters that seem to have moved from their MT to boxing as of late.

MT is pretty sick though.

The most complete overall: Muay thai obviously.
Just as effective depending on the fighter: Boxing.

best bases

standup: boxing
ground: wrestling

its easier to learn something more complex bjj/mt after having a solid base in boxing/wrestling.

I like boxing, but I would prefer muay thai because it is more diverse this was hard to call

I'm not trying to be one of those appeasing fuckers, but i truly believe that both boxing and muay thai both are great bases so its a personal preference (boxing for me :)), providing of cause you learn the fabulously underrated side-check kick from boxing.

Both are equally good. Depends on what you like more , I like MT more.

I'd say MT if nothing else but to deal with leg kicks.

You need both. Which one should you emphasize? That is up to you. Some guys prefer to keep both legs under them, and box. Some guys don't mind throwing a lot of kicks, and potentially exposing themselves to a take down.

I'll tell you that if you are going with boxing, still take muay thai to learn defense

you need both period

but i chose boxing first then worked muay thai exclamation point

Rampage and Bj Penn are both guys who uses more or less only boxing as their stand-up base. Rampage dont like lowkicks. Bj Penn is a bit better on the kicking defense.

Like most have said, both are excellent. It's a very touch call.

I would say that very good boxing is an even greater asset then very good muy thai.

However, you need to be able to check leg kicks and defend knees from the clinch, which you will not learn in boxing.

So as a short answer I would say Muy Thai, but knowing that boxing can take you further under certain assumptions (the long answer).

At the end of the day both are the ultimate striking arts.

Once again it depends on how well the fighter adapts. To be honest though, if I had to pick one it would be boxing. The lower stance and quicker footwork and distance would be able to transfer to mma much easier than the more straight forward upright thai stance.
Of course not learning kicks and knees at all along with the defense to those would end up to seriously kill you, I think it's more important to learn the base of a stance and footwork before you start using your offensive weapons. Along with the fact that the fighter could always fall back on his hands yet have the ability to learn to throw multiple strikes would I think probably further benefit him.

Back