Boxing seminars

DoctorTaco

Breadhead
@Gold
Reaction score
I hosted a seminar featuring Victor Morales Jr. and his dad/head coach. They donated their time so we could run the event as a fundraiser for our travel tournament team.

Victor and his coach were both great, we had a lot of fun and learned a ton from them. jr. is currently 19-0-1 and signed to golden boy. He’s the WBC intercontinental featherweight champ, had a great amateur career fighting for team USA, it was a slam dunk top to bottom in terms of a local, high-level talent.

I advertised online for a couple weeks, put flyers up at all the local gyms, and still had a fairly modest turnout. it was only 30 bucks for pre-registration and I understand that asking folks to go out of pocket This close to Christmas doesn’t make a ton of sense but I was still fairly surprised.

I guess my question is why do you all think we don’t see guys doing Boxing seminars with the same success that you see MMA, jujitsu, or Muaythai champs doing them? People will happily pay $120 for a two day seminar (myself included) for those arts but for what ever reason that’s not a part of boxing culture.

Is it because mma/Muay Thai/jits is more expensive and thus attracts folks with more disposable income? Is it bc boxers make so much more money that they don’t need the supplemental income? The benevidez brothers have set up shop a few hours north and I’d love to bring them down for one but I doubt I’d be able to pack the room enough to cover expenses.

Thoughts?

how modest was the turnout? did you just advertise for boxers?
new stuff takes a minute to settle. people wanna see it shake out before they break traditions.

think of it like a business it takes some tiem before you start making profit.

Good boxers are already rich. Can’t say the same for mma, bjj, or Muay Thai lol.
Plus they don’t wanna share too much secrets.

Maybe you could start a trend with boxers coming in to mma gyms. Since I doubt boxers would want to do a seminar at another boxing gym

Good boxers are already rich. Can’t say the same for mma, bjj, or Muay Thai lol.
Plus they don’t wanna share too much secrets.

Maybe you could start a trend with boxers coming in to mma gyms. Since I doubt boxers would want to do a seminar at another boxing gym
Getting after the mma market is a good idea. I did a “boxing for Muay Thai” seminar in virginia a few years back and it went great. I didn’t hold the seminar at the gym u work at bc I didn’t want everyone to have to box shoeless in the mats. It feels undignified to ask the champ to take his shoes off and box for us. Idk
how modest was the turnout? did you just advertise for boxers?
new stuff takes a minute to settle. people wanna see it shake out before they break traditions.

think of it like a business it takes some tiem before you start making profit.
This is solid advice. I’m not always patient on things when I aught to be. There were about 12 people in total. I was expecting at least twice that. I only advertised to boxers but I made it clear hobbyists are welcome too. I had 1 mma guy there so that was nice

Back