Boxing Gloves vs. MMA Gloves

Leonard Haid

Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream
@red
Reaction score
What are the difference when you punch with them and when you're punched by them?

What are the difference when you punch with them and when you're punched by them?

From what I've observed as far as getting punched by them, you get a higher chance of a knockout with mma gloves due to the smaller 4oz padding. Boxing gloves being bigger (what's the competition range usually? 8-12oz? I forget) and more padded, the kinetic impact I imagine is more spread out, usually allowing boxers to absorb more shots before going down.

From what I've observed as far as getting punched by them, you get a higher chance of a knockout with mma gloves due to the smaller 4oz padding. Boxing gloves being bigger (what's the competition range usually? 8-12oz? I forget) and more padded, the kinetic impact I imagine is more spread out, usually allowing boxers to absorb more shots before going down.

It's the same force though so I'm not sure the gloves would actually stop kos more. I think the bigger gloves probably stop cuts better though.

I think because MMA gloves are smaller it's harder to defend from punches, they get through easier possibly? I don't really know, there's a lot of rhetoric about this topic. Would be interesting to put some MMA gloves on boxers and see how it goes.

It's the same force though so I'm not sure the gloves would actually stop kos more. I think the bigger gloves probably stop cuts better though.

I think because MMA gloves are smaller it's harder to defend from punches, they get through easier possibly? I don't really know, there's a lot of rhetoric about this topic. Would be interesting to put some MMA gloves on boxers and see how it goes.

Never been hit with 4 oz gloves thank god. tend to agree with this post, your hitting with the same force so either would KO you if landed correctly. MMA gloves will definitely be harder to block/parry shots because they are so much smaller. I think this is where some kickboxers initially struggle when moving in to MMA because they have straight away lost part of their natural defence

This science project says both hit with the same impact

Mma gloves bigger risk of eye poke

Boxing gloves the harder punchers can go to town going full force with less worry of damage to fist

This science project says both hit with the same impact

Mma gloves bigger risk of eye poke

Boxing gloves the harder punchers can go to town going full force with less worry of damage to fist

Fantastic, thanks.

Back