Boxing gloves have no impact on KO Power

bad analysis...

first of all one can argue the decreased surface area of the glove contact with the head will cause an increase in the applied force to the head. Thus, a greater force will produce a greater torque about the head on its axis. Greater torque produces a greater angular acceleration of the head.

Also, the reduced weight of the glove may produce and even greater amount of speed which could possibly more than compensate the loss in momentum. Add that in with less padding about the knuckles and you end up with a much shorter impulse of greater or equal momentum which produces an even greater force.

So yes, they could produce effects that would increase probability of a knockout.
Not to mention, boxers are much more prepared to eat heavy shots and are better equipped to block said shots.
How would the surface area being smaller increase the force imparted to the head, proportionally it would but in terms of total momentum how would that be increased?

Also do you have evidence that fighters can achieve substantially higher punch speed with 4oz gloves as compared to 10z gloves?

Do you have evidence that the extra padding of boxing gloves substantially reduces the imparted momentum?

I don't think MMA fans understand what "chin" is. We look at guys like Mark Hunt or a prime Liddell and go wtf that chin is nuts! That is literally every single boxer at even a reasonably high level. Guys that can't eat shots get weeded out so early in their amateur career that its not even possible to be a successful boxer despite having a bad chin (think Rich Franklin, Andrei Arlovski etc.). That's not even touching on the fact the Conor is not going to hit Floyd, or that Conor's 'amazing punching power' is only 'amazing' by MMA standards.

No. thats not a valid assumption.
I disagree look at headguards for olympic and amateur boxerd aswell as sparring.
While guards's padding reduces tissue damage and the pain from the impact its been found that headguards actually increase prevalence of concussions as compared to matches where there are no headgaurds.
Thats why headgaurds are going to be removed from olympic matches.
Internal head trauma isn't immediately felt.

How would the surface area being smaller increase the force imparted to the head, proportionally it would but in terms of total momentum how would that be increased?

Also do you have evidence that fighters can achieve substantially higher punch speed with 4oz gloves as compared to 10z gloves?

Do you have evidence that the extra padding of boxing gloves substantially reduces the imparted momentum?
The amount of energy would remain the same, but the wider surface area means more places for your body to absorb the blow. Its like you can stand in the sun and it wont melt your face off, but use a magnifying glass to focus that energy and it will.

Larger gloves allow for better defense though.

And yet Chris Van Heerden was just talking in an interview about how he couldn't comment on Conor's power because wearing 16oz gloves makes it feel like pillows on your hands. I guess 10oz gloves are worse than 4oz but for some reason 16oz gloves turn in to pillows? Got it.
16oz Winnings are a lot different than 10oz pro gloves. Chris is right about them being pillows, but ya 10oz pro gloves hurt like a mofo. I'm sure 4oz gloves are even worse so idk what ts is smoking.

1) Because it scales inversely proportionally with the area. That results in a higher force being applied (as it is being concentrated into a smaller area).

2) Im arguing that we don't know if the speed scales inversely proportional with glove weight. Therefore the assumption that it DOESNT is just as valid as your assumption that it does. Therefore, your guess is just as unsupported as mine.

3) Added padding causes an increase in the time required to slow the glove when contact occurs compared to the less padded glove. This will allow for a slower change in overall momentum, which reduces the maximum force applied to the head.

I've sparred at super HW (205 and above) with 10 oz Reyes and Grant gloves. Shit is not pleasurable.

1) Because it scales inversely proportionally with the area. That results in a higher force being applied (as it is being concentrated into a smaller area).

2) Im arguing that we don't know if the speed scales inversely proportional with glove weight. Therefore the assumption that it DOESNT is just as valid as your assumption that it does. Therefore, your guess is just as unsupported as mine.

3) Added padding causes an increase in the time required to slow the glove when contact occurs compared to the less padded glove. This will allow for a slower change in overall momentum, which reduces the maximum force applied to the head.
1) higher force proportionately for the surface area but in total it would be the same.
2) i haven't claimed its a fact that they travel at the same speed but for us to assume a lighter glove travels substantially faster we need evidence.
3)
It definately does to an extent but there is no proof that it has more than a negligible effect.
The evidence rules against it infact as there is more deaths from head trauma in gloved boxing than there ever was in bareknuckle.

Go back to the example as well with the headguard, the slowing would have the same effect in theory but concussions are even more common when a headguard is worn.

1) higher force proportionately for the surface area but in total it would be the same.
2) i haven't claimed its a fact that they travel at the same speed but for us to assume a lighter glove travels substantially faster we need evidence.
3)
It definately does to an extent but there is no proof that it has more than a negligible effect.
The evidence rules against it infact as there is more deaths from head trauma in gloved boxing than there ever was in bareknuckle.

Go back to the example as well with the headguard, the slowing would have the same effect in theory but concussions are even more common when a headguard is worn.
lol no you suck. You don't know physics lol....

Back