Boxing and epilepsy

fatbloodybastardbob

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi there quick question please.

I signed up for a boxing gym(One of the white collar boxing things - fight in 12 weeks) in the UK and on the form declared I have epilpesy (Its medically controlled and ive been fit free for 12 years, have a driving licence (DVLA aware of condition) and everything)

They have said they cant sign me up - I have done martial arts and stuff before but never boxing. Have sparred but not heavy sparring.

Anyone ever encountered this? Bit gutted if im being honest.
Also my name should be fatblobbybastardbob :( but i messed up the registration.

i don't know what the rules are exactly but common sense would tell you that it's not a good idea. I understand the love for it and all, outside of just lying to them, i can't see why they'd let you box. However, for some crazy reason, there was a kickboxer at my old gym that was epileptic, can't understand the logic behind that, and it was the coach who told me.

I doubt you are the only one though, i'm sure it's happened before (epileptic boxers). Bruce Lee was supposedly epileptic or at least he was having seizures around the time of his death, I never did find out if he was a lifetime epileptic or not, I don't think he was.

Being hit in the head repeatedly when you have epilepsy isn't good. A sudden change in oxygen getting to your brain after being kod or perhaps a misplaced punch could trigger a seizure.

The BBBOC would never grant anyone with a epilepsy a licence. It's for good reason.

If they were to sign you up. With you having declared yourself being epileptic and something should happen to you in their gym when you were sparring they would be up shit creek.

Hi there quick question please.

I signed up for a boxing gym(One of the white collar boxing things - fight in 12 weeks) in the UK and on the form declared I have epilpesy (Its medically controlled and ive been fit free for 12 years, have a driving licence (DVLA aware of condition) and everything)

They have said they cant sign me up - I have done martial arts and stuff before but never boxing. Have sparred but not heavy sparring.

Anyone ever encountered this? Bit gutted if im being honest.
Also my name should be fatblobbybastardbob :( but i messed up the registration.

As someone who’s boxed for years, and has a daughter with epilepsy, I can fully understand this. I’m certainly no medical expert but repeated blows to the head is bound to be dodgy. And there isn’t another martial art with repeated head trauma to this extent either, or even close
Seeing the standard of many white collor fights, and with a martial arts background, you’ll probably be fine and not get hit much at all. But it is still a risk, and probably too much of 1 for the people organising it

Btw just so you know. You can get round this by not declaring it. But you may run into trouble later and put yourself and the people you are with in a precarious position.

Well I'm sure you know what causes epilepsy and I'd really heavily advise against sparring.

Go to another gym and don't declare and don't spar.

Or do. Whatever

ya, I think a person has a right to do what he wants it's his life. I remember the last time I tried to line up a fight and I couldn't get a corner and they said it was because "i might get hurt" in all honesty that wasn't the reason, the real reason was I wouldn't go along with the owner of the gym and i tried to get other people to work with me. So, instead of saying "I'm afraid of so and so and he has the power to hurt me" they just said "oh no, you might get hurt". One thing they were right about, i didn't have the time to get ready for this but the gym owner was hoping i'd come to him later, I never did, i pretty much just gave up. To me, it's obvious they don't give a shit about anyone, they put people in the ring to tear each other up, this is the same gym owner btw who had the fighter with epilepsy and he did a lot of other things. God, i just hate how weak other fighters actually are in the face of pussy ass business men. It's wierd, i'm talking champions and they are scared of some asshole. you're better off not fighting kid, but I think if you want to do it, accept the risks, you should be able to. just be ready for the bullshit.

also, i remember reading, can't remember which trainer it was but i think it was ray arcel, he told a story about a dad who brought his son to him to be a fighter, the kid got kayoed and afterwards, the dad told him about the kid having a serious head injury before, and ray retired him right there saying "and you brought him to me to be a fighter?" Personally, I wish I was a live a hundred years ago, before shit was so structured, i'd have been fine doing like dempsey, just fighting in the streets. People were just tougher and more free, people knew death was close anyways so why worry about it? I really don't know how this country has any decent infantry with all these pussies we create.

I doubt you are the only one though, i'm sure it's happened before (epileptic boxers). Bruce Lee was supposedly epileptic or at least he was having seizures around the time of his death, I never did find out if he was a lifetime epileptic or not, I don't think he was.

Lee collapsed in a sound studio when doing dubbing for Enter The Dragon. But he was not epileptic.

Lee collapsed in a sound studio when doing dubbing for Enter The Dragon. But he was not epileptic.
that's right, but i've heard that he had epilepsy, he did have a seizure in the hospital but what I never learned was whether he was a lifetime epileptic or it was just that period at the end of his life, i think it was just that period at the end of his life. It was, after all, the brain swelling that killed him and he was prescribed dilantin and given manitol to save him the first time.

that's right, but i've heard that he had epilepsy, he did have a seizure in the hospital but what I never learned was whether he was a lifetime epileptic or it was just that period at the end of his life, i think it was just that period at the end of his life. It was, after all, the brain swelling that killed him and he was prescribed dilantin and given manitol to save him the first time.

Maybe lee had those incidences too.I remember reports of "PED type" substances found in his body, and marijuana, but nothing sufficient to kill him. Lee was very experimental with his body and a work-out freak so he probably tried out lots of shit.

the ped stuff was bull, there was a writer who tried to say that but i don't believe it for a second, Bruce only weighed 127 at the time of his death and he hardly resembled any kind of steroid user. the marijuana theory sounds the closest to the truth to me but I didn't want to say that because some crazy pothead out there will come out of the woodwork blowing smoke up our asses because they revere pot. I even think there could be some truth to the death touch rumors, but i think it's the lesser of all possibilities. I think it's fairly obvious that he had a bad reaction to nepalese hashish one time, got lucky and lived and like any addict, can't be stopped and did it again and died.

Back