Boxers who wrestled

Vasyl Lomachenko wrestled as a kid, he also did Judo and Sambo tournaments and won quite a few. This clip shows a young Vasyl practicing his wrestling craft. I guess talent crosses over to other sporting exploits not just your core skill.

Here's him showing off his wrestling skills more recently

Last edited:
Vasyl Lomachenko wrestled as a kid, he also did Judo and Sambo tournaments and won quite a few. This clip shows a young Vasyl practicing his wrestling craft. I guess talent crosses over to other sporting exploits not just your core skill.

Here's him showing off his wrestling skills more recently

Yes it does. Most explosive punchers are typically great sprinters as well. I was great at wrestling even without training it. Also a good sprinter.

Yes it does. Most explosive punchers are typically great sprinters as well. I was great at wrestling even without training it. Also a good sprinter.
Bigging yourself up again? I suppose we are lucky you didn't make a thread about it....

I already shut you guys up. No need to do it again.
No idea what you are on about, but I don't really care! You have your little happy moment.
And I was a champion Javelin thrower and also an explosive puncher when I took up boxing.

No idea what you are on about, but I don't really care! You have your little happy moment.
And I was a champion Javelin thrower and also an explosive puncher when I took up boxing.
I was introduced to spacetime this week, no reasoning with the guy. I try to be respectful on here but he makes it hard. As for somebody saying they are a great wrestler without training.....I highly highly doubt it. It's essentially like me saying I'm a bjj black belt and because I know a decent amount about bjj and the terminology, but yet I'm only an orange belt in judo. So yea...I'm an orange belt in judo and I worked my butt off just to get to that point.

I was introduced to spacetime this week, no reasoning with the guy. I try to be respectful on here but he makes it hard. As for somebody saying they are a great wrestler without training.....I highly highly doubt it. It's essentially like me saying I'm a bjj black belt and because I know a decent amount about bjj and the terminology, but yet I'm only an orange belt in judo. So yea...I'm an orange belt in judo and I worked my butt off just to get to that point.

If I can stall a wrestler from taking me down with wrestling defence only, I'd say I most likely got talent for it. And he trained freestyle wrestling daily.

If I can stall a wrestler from taking me down with wrestling defence only, I'd say I most likely got talent for it. And he trained freestyle wrestling daily.
Don't believe you. Only a video of you wrestling a coat could convince us that you've got wrestling talent.

Shawn Porter.

Malignaggi mentions him as being his strongest opponent in the Ring interview, which is included in the thread.

I used to be under the rather deluded idea that I was a natural wrestler because I always used to end up on top in school fights then years later I started training MMA and I realised how I really wasn't that great at wrestling.

Ok but one instance? What was his weight and age? You mentioned yesterday that the striker fighters in the videos I showed were no names and that's why they lost to the elite bjj fighters. So I'm going to use your logic against you, how do we know if this guy is really any good? Also how long did you guys wrestle?

I used to be under the rather deluded idea that I was a natural wrestler because I always used to end up on top in school fights then years later I started training MMA and I realised how I really wasn't that great at wrestling.
can totally relate. When I was in high school I thought I was a good wrestler too (our school didn't have a wrestling team). Most of that was just from impromptu sparring matches in the locker room. I honestly am not that good of a wrestler today and I've actually studied it some and practiced a little. It's not something that comes easy. Actually no combat sport is easy to learn.

Literally only Americans
Russians/Eastern Bloc guys too. @Kovalev's "Man Bag" can correct me on this but I think I heard Kov wrassled too, on top of some other Soviets. I think they're more Greco based but not sure on that. Never wrestled growing up myself but @MC Paul Barman taught me how to beat them all up with a couple simple techniques.

Russians/Eastern Bloc guys too. @Kovalev's "Man Bag" can correct me on this but I think I heard Kov wrassled too, on top of some other Soviets. I think they're more Greco based but not sure on that. Never wrestled growing up myself but @MC Paul Barman taught me how to beat them all up with a couple simple techniques.

Yeah, Kov wrestled when he was younger along with Golovkin, Beterbiev, Gassiev and Lomachenko. Not sure about the other Eastern Euros but at some point many have likely at least tried it out (either Freestyle or Greco for them). These guys wrestle after training sometimes but they go very light to avoid injury. Barman has the universal keys to victory for any combat situation, armed or unarmed, all the same.

i guess i should explain what I meant somewhat. Dempsey started fighting in the streets/bars, no trainer or anything he claimed that you either fought hard or got ran out of a place. I don't believe he ever had trainers during these early stages. I still believe that great talent/hardwork/good instincts will often trump an average talent with great teaching anytime. You can teach a boy how to jab but if he has no talent for it, his jab will always be useless. I guess I should say that personally, I just got tired of all these power brokers, be they "coaches", "teachers", "managers" or whatever you want to call them. They love to mystify things and make it seem like only they have the secret. It's a sick mentality and a lot of game playing and ass kissing is involved. Not wanting that stilted me in important ways but I still feel I was right. I remember taking Wing Chun and someone saying "chi sao takes 20 years to master" and I thought "what's the point of mastering something so useless?" well, that mindset and the power playing that goes on is all to common with teachers of all kinds. I think it's largely bull, sorry for any hurt feelings. A couple pros that i've been around have said things like "if you've been in a real fight, it's like being in 5 contested fights" Now, that's true relatively speaking but of course it's all in the what each of those fights was. At any rate, they have the right idea and that is that doing beats all the other crap anytime. That's not to say there isn't a lot to learn, if I ever have the cash, i'll pick up where i left off with my grappling but I wasn't going to go along with anymore of the ego mongering teachers i was around, it turns my stomach.

Didn't Bare Knuckles rules or London prize ring rules, have takedowns and clinching as part of the ruleset. So all those guys have some wrestling.

Also there is/was this pro boxer from NJ who is polish, and has a polish sounding name. In in interview, he stated he originally wanted to be an MMA fighter, so he wrestled in NJ HS, and was pretty good. He was a pretty big name in boxing during the 2000s I think. I forget his name.

Since this is necro-ed, I rather see pro boxers who were former football players.

Freddie Roach told me he use to wrestle. Can’t remember what else he had to say about it.

I believe u.
Judo, wrestling, bjj, mma, all inferior sports done by inferior men.

Back