Body not responding to salt

abgmma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've been on a cut for about a month and a half and was on a low sodium diet.
The cut went successful in term of fat loss but I'm suffering now from a very low blood pressure (80/50) and nearly fainted yesterday.
The doc told me to add salt to my food and i'm doing what he asked me to do but i've noticed my body isn't responding to it at all. My blood pressure is the same, i'm not gaining any water weight from salt eventhough i'm adding nearly 1 TABLEspoon of salt to my meals and i'm reaching 4000mg of Sodium everyday.
I don't know what is happening right now i did a blood test yesterday and i'm currently waiting for my results.
Has anyone suffered from a situation like that? And if yes what should i do ?
Thanks

i'm adding nearly 1 TABLEspoon of salt to my meals and i'm reaching 4000mg of Sodium everyday.

I hate to break it to you but 1 tablespoon of salt is 17grams. You are WAY over 4000mg/day - LOL.

Take up smoking

Blood pressure ^^^^

Sorry I can't help. Hope the doctors figure this out for you. Let's us know what they tell you.

My guess would be to try not just salt but several types of electrolytes or foods containing them. I don't think overdoing it is the smart thing.

(Clearly) it's not absorbing like it 'should' but that may be because the body relies on several different minerals, etc to maintain balance, not just salt-- they're interrelated and are used by your body to balance and regulate each other('s levels). If you are missing some vital nutrients, you may not be able to just absorb them in without the utilization of some other things you need but maybe are depleted also.

That's just my guess. Keep us posted on what your doc says

Eat more cholesterol. A low calorie diet reduces endogenous cholesterol synthesis (insufficient glucose to manufacture cholesterol) and external cholesterol intake. Cholesterol is used to produce steroid hormones, as such, insufficient cholesterol will lower the production of the steroid hormones aldosterone and cortisol. Both hormones are necessary for the maintenance of blood pressure, without them any additional salt intake is not retained.

Eat eggs and liver for a week while pairing it with a higher salt intake. Also, gradually increase your salt intake - don't go from zero to 10g instantly. It'll be tough on your kidney's. Increase your intake daily over a few weeks.

If that doesn't work, you might have a more serious problem like Addison's disease (aka hypocortisolism/aldosteronism) or a kidney disease, and if that's the case your doctors should catch any of those issues.

Have you had diarrhea/loose stools over the last few months? Are you exercising very frequently on top of dieting?

Back