Bobby Czyz: The boxer who became a bagger

i guess it was suppossed to be maudlin but the man's working and alive, i get tired of articles that try to push a narrative. He did alright, like many in this country, he has drink/drug problems and like most men, they get broken by legal problems with women.

Good article so far TS. The standout part is Kathy Duva admitting they’d just say whatever they could to promote a fighter back then regardless of the facts.

“I never found out how much of it was true,” Duva said. “In the end, we’re marketers, and you need a story. Back then, you could color outside the lines.”

Scumbag journalist couldn't get him a lift home?

If you're anywhere close to smart enough to be a Mensa member, you probably shouldn't take punches to the head for a living.

Then again, I'm not sure anyone should take punches to the head for a living.

Never followed him much but I know the name. This was a good read, and I hope the best for him.
Life is unfair. Reality is a bitch.

If you're anywhere close to smart enough to be a Mensa member, you probably shouldn't take punches to the head for a living.

This is not true at all... If you love something and want to do it, no reason not to pursue it.
Are we really pretending like every guy who makes a living in combat sport was forced to by poverty? BJ Penn's dad owns half of hawaii. I can name a few famous fighters with masters degrees.
Money May could have retired long before the Manny or Marquez fights and still be filthy rich for life, as he had several business making money for him in the background(Don't fall in for all those bs IRS articles to heat up the conor fight).

Hell, I can use myself as an example, but I'm boring so nvm. Wish i had the confidence Spacetime who spoons a heavy bag in bed for research purposes.

i guess it was suppossed to be maudlin but the man's working and alive, i get tired of articles that try to push a narrative. He did alright, like many in this country, he has drink/drug problems and like most men, they get broken by legal problems with women.
I don't think you read the article. He has no legal problems with women, his ex-gf still helps him out sometimes.
He fell into a comma from a car accident, which caused his dept, and now he can't find a decent job because his memory doesn't function well.

Never followed him much but I know the name. This was a good read, and I hope the best for him.
Life is unfair. Reality is a bitch.

This is not true at all... If you love something and want to do it, no reason not to pursue it.
Are we really pretending like every guy who makes a living in combat sport was forced to by poverty? BJ Penn's dad owns half of hawaii. I can name a few famous fighters with masters degrees.
Money May could have retired long before the Manny or Marquez fights and still be filthy rich for life, as he had several business making money for him in the background(Don't fall in for all those bs IRS articles to heat up the conor fight).

Hell, I can use myself as an example, but I'm boring so nvm. Wish i had the confidence Spacetime who spoons a heavy bag in bed for research purposes.

I don't think you read the article. He has no legal problems with women, his ex-gf still helps him out sometimes.
He fell into a comma from a car accident, which caused his dept, and now he can't find a decent job because his memory doesn't function well.
I did read the article, but i'm skeptical of journalists so i don't necessarily believe what they say. I read about the accident, and if he's working at a grocery store as a checker he's not a "bagger" as this said narrative is trying to say, checkers make ok money and it's very stressful, i should know, I used to do it for my mentor. If he's in his fifties and able to do that, he's ok, i'm younger than him and I'd never do the shit again. I'd almost rather die. But.., the job is not a bad one from a money perspective.
did you read the article, i just went back and looked it did mention a divorce settlement, that's almost code for saying the woman took his money. It's usually only feminists that get pissed when I say those kinds of things but I know we don't have any of those around here.

Last edited:

not true, been some brilliant fighters. Ali said as much in a seventies interview, that they are as brilliant as anyone at least the best ones. Smart men, Cus D'amato said the top level wins because of character and intelligence. There were times in this country and even now, black males are a pariah, but earlier, someone in Ali's shoes would have had a hard time finding a good respectable job in society, even if he was a brilliant student (he wasn't). My stepdad was black, college educated, from the same generation and even in liberal, pussy seattle, he couldn't find a job for years, it wasn't until he was in his mid-forties that he actually started to put things together. Now, I know that's not every case but barring the tokens and the absolute whiz's who can't be denied, that's the way it generally was (is). Men period too, there just aren't enough respectable positions out there for every capable man, it's just the nature of our society, throw in nepotism etc.., and some of us just stop trying. I don't even worry about those things anymore, that's what i told my stepdad the last time i saw him too. I'm not doing to myself what he did to himself because of what a bunch of assholes did to him, fuck that.

Guys like him and his troubled childhood, success, and crash, just add more to NJ lore. I read stories like this, and makes me happy about the time I spent in NJ, and with the people there.

Other times, I effing hate everyone in that state.

Anyways, I dont think he was ever handsome. And he is older now, so I dont see why working a supermarket is bad.

By the way Chuck Wepner also famouse boxer from NJ works in liquor stores.

Guys like him and his troubled childhood, success, and crash, just add more to NJ lore. I read stories like this, and makes me happy about the time I spent in NJ, and with the people there.

Other times, I effing hate everyone in that state.

Anyways, I dont think he was ever handsome. And he is older now, so I dont see why working a supermarket is bad.

By the way Chuck Wepner also famouse boxer from NJ works in liquor stores.
the "handsome" and "matinee idol" is because of the era, they called gerry cooney handsome too and he looks like a heavyweight male version of maude. White fighters were rare in that time period and so they got a lot of extra compliments, breaks, even more money than similarly talented fighters of other races. They were all good fighters of course, mancini, paz, cooney and cyzz but none of them were exceptional. and you hate everyone in NJ? Even the boss? what did Bruce do to you?

Czyz has seem some trauma. Telling your dad that he's dead to you, and then coming down to find out your dad blew his brains out at the dinner table because you said that... that's tough.

not true, been some brilliant fighters. Ali said as much in a seventies interview, that they are as brilliant as anyone at least the best ones. Smart men, Cus D'amato said the top level wins because of character and intelligence.

"Brilliant fighters"... lol lets not go overboard. Remember, Ali flunked the simple army intelligence test, famously saying "I'm the greatest... not the smartest".

There's a big difference between sports IQ and actual IQ. Floyd was brilliant in the ring, but I don't think anyone is going to confuse him for a Rhodes Scholar.

Czyz has seem some trauma. Telling your dad that he's dead to you, and then coming down to find out your dad blew his brains out at the dinner table because you said that... that's tough.

"Brilliant fighters"... lol lets not go overboard. Remember, Ali flunked the simple army intelligence test, famously saying "I'm the greatest... not the smartest".

There's a big difference between sports IQ and actual IQ. Floyd was brilliant in the ring, but I don't think anyone is going to confuse him for a Rhodes Scholar.
I think ali was right and I don't really believe that much in iq (ali had a 78 I think) the smartest fighters are doing things that the rest of us dummies on the outside don't think of and can't see at all. Range, distance, anticipation, using traps, feints, seeing patterns and weaknesses, most viewers are too stupid to see those things going on and they don't even really want to, they just want violence. Ali did things so clever I wonder if he was even conscious of them and how did he even come up with them if he didn't cop them off the fighters he watched on tv in the 50's? Cyzz was always well spoken, it wouldn't surprise me if he was actually a mensa member, it shouldn't be too hard to find out though if you're serious about looking into it. Smart guy, troubled guy, did stupid shit like a lot of smart people.

I think ali was right and I don't really believe that much in iq (ali had a 78 I think) the smartest fighters are doing things that the rest of us dummies on the outside don't think of and can't see at all. Range, distance, anticipation, using traps, feints, seeing patterns and weaknesses, most viewers are too stupid to see those things going on and they don't even really want to, they just want violence. Ali did things so clever I wonder if he was even conscious of them and how did he even come up with them if he didn't cop them off the fighters he watched on tv in the 50's? Cyzz was always well spoken, it wouldn't surprise me if he was actually a mensa member, it shouldn't be too hard to find out though if you're serious about looking into it. Smart guy, troubled guy, did stupid shit like a lot of smart people.
what impact does iq have on route learning?

what impact does iq have on route learning?

i don't really know senor, i don't really believe much in iq myself. One reason, maybe selfish, but my folks would be amongst the lowest in the world in it for sure. I think it's meaningless and has nothing to do with morality or decency, making it even more meaningless to me.

not true, been some brilliant fighters. Ali said as much in a seventies interview, that they are as brilliant as anyone at least the best ones. Smart men, Cus D'amato said the top level wins because of character and intelligence. There were times in this country and even now, black males are a pariah, but earlier, someone in Ali's shoes would have had a hard time finding a good respectable job in society, even if he was a brilliant student (he wasn't). My stepdad was black, college educated, from the same generation and even in liberal, pussy seattle, he couldn't find a job for years, it wasn't until he was in his mid-forties that he actually started to put things together. Now, I know that's not every case but barring the tokens and the absolute whiz's who can't be denied, that's the way it generally was (is). Men period too, there just aren't enough respectable positions out there for every capable man, it's just the nature of our society, throw in nepotism etc.., and some of us just stop trying. I don't even worry about those things anymore, that's what i told my stepdad the last time i saw him too. I'm not doing to myself what he did to himself because of what a bunch of assholes did to him, fuck that.
I don't Know man. I respect his story and all. 1 thing I will never do is pull the race card. Full disclosure, I am Indian-American. I was born in India, but parents came here LEGALLY right after I was born, so I am a Naturalized US citizen. I never ever felt like a victim. Yes I'm a conservative. I think, I am more successful than the average Caucasian-American. After all, Asian-Americans, are, on average The Highest Paid, least incarcerated, And Most Educated populace in America. Thats why I dont buy this whole white privilege crap. If anything, there would be Asian privilege (sarcasm).
As for IQ, I certainly believe in it. Not to brag, but I was upwards of 130 when they Checked in high school. Not Mensa, of course, but I was a straight-A student who would get upset if I ever got an A-. So IQ means something.

Back