Blu Ray failure rate?

Never had a problem myself.

Have a Samsung smart bluray player that I've only been using for the last 4 months and occasionally the screen goes black. Sometimes the picture comes back within 30secs and others I need to turn the machine off and back on. I thought maybe the hdmi cable sucked and that's why the picture screwed up.

I tell everyone and anyone who buys a blu-ray player or burner to make sure to update the firmware as soon as they hook it up. A lot of issues are resolved with that. I have an LG Blu-ray burner in this PC and have had no problems playing Blu-rays save for my 5.1 Pink Floyd Blu-ray. All the programs that can play Blu-rays have problems with the Blu-ray which leads me to believe my LG drive cannot play it. It plays fine on my Sony Blu-ray player I have in the den which is way older than the LG.

I have Blu Rays that I've never played. Every time I want to play one I have to spend 30 minutes finding, saving and burning a DVD to update firmware. I have one of the early Sony players. I also have a Samsung that I have never gotten to play a Blu Ray. They have beautiful video but are a pain in the ass to use.

I'm learning not to trust Blu Ray.
It seems that irrespective of the player, 20% or more have some kind of play failure.
I just got the Big Trouble in Little China blu ray, and it absolutely refuses to start anywhere but twenty seconds into the opening scene.
This is hardly the first time, and I'm beginning to find good old lower def DVDs are more reliable.
Having the same issue with a copy of American Psycho. Will no longer play on any Blu Ray player.

For PC, are there any good Blu Ray burners that are compatible with win10? Seems the ones available today are old tech and support up to win7 at best.

For non PC Blu Ray players are there any good players that can be easily region hacked(I know for DVD there are codes to input in settings but I'm specifically talking about Blu Ray)

I have an old Sony (2008) BR player that plays everything. I have a newer Samsung (2012) player that plays about 50% of what I put into it.

I bought a $50 LG that plays everything because I got frustrated with my Samsung. BTW, it's the second Samsung BR player I've had. The first one died within the first 2 years I had it.

I dunno, Blu-Ray has always been a little retarded.

Not only is there issues with some players not recognizing certain discs, but mouse functionality for some weird reason is nonexistent when playing a movie on a PC, and then of course there's the annoying shit like the studios making it as difficult as possible to skip through the previews and the boatloads of copy protection heaped upon every disc.
I just keep hitting the skip button until I hit the menu.

Never had a problem with BD, thankfully.

Back in like 1995 I had a portable CD player for camping trips. It could destroy a cd without leaving a scratch or mark. It somehow would corrupt the data. After it ruined a few brand new cds in a row I trashed it.
Wait...what?

I think the laser would burn the data or something. Anything that went into the cd player would no longer play. The music store let me return everything I bought because it looked flawless, no scratches, but wouldnt play.

Have over 1,000 blu-rays, never had a problem (knock on wood). I use my PC's as my player though.

Never really had any issues with bluray. Maybe its the players you're buying? You buying cheap shit or what? Though all my bluray watching has been on consoles. PS3, PS4 and Xbone.

I've never had a problem with my PS3 but my folks Samsung is a piece of shit. It ejects the disc saying its unreadable, if you keep at it it eventually reads and it has no issues once it does

I've only had trouble with one bluray I own and it'll eventually work with some friggin around.

Never had a problem with a single blue ray, use my PlayStation to play them

My old Blu-Ray player packed up being able to read BR discs, but was still fine for DVDs. Never had a problem with an individual disc not playing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back