blocking kicks

hondahousey69

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
during training when blocking kicks during drilling i feel dazed sometimes what is the proper way to block kicks during drilling?

I guess you mean a headkick. you need to learn to absorb it. either by going to it or away from it. if you stand still, you take the full power and it will daze you even if you block it.

If you go into it or away from it, you take away some of it's power. Think of football, someone is tackling you and normally you react by tackling him back. Your power vs their power. it cancels out. So if you go into their kick, you cancel out a percentage of their power.

If you go away from it, you're essentially absorbing a percentage of it's power with the movement. It's physics. Hard to explain. But learn to either walk into it or away from it. I like to walk into it and counter at the same time. Like they kicking your right, I would keep my right hand up to block and throw a left straight. It will catch them by surprise/off balance and KO them.

Or you can go away from, block with right and throw a right leg kick of your own and sweep them.

Best way is to go into them, it will knock them off balance.

Last edited:
To start off with, you need to establish PROPER DISTANCE vis-a-vis your sparring partner. There are three distances; close/short, middle and long. You want to avoid middle distance against a good head kicker at all costs. You will have to either establish close/short distance OR long distance.

In long distance you have a split second to watch the movements of his hips and his legs to determine if he's launching a kick, what kind of kick and which leg he is kicking with. At long range, I would dodge/evade his head kicks and then either execute a long range kick of my own or move into middle range for a few more options (note: get in middle range, do your work and either get back to long range or close the distance.)

In close range I have gotten pretty comfortable with checking low kicks (I still hate it though). Now, if your sparring partner is anything like Ryu Narushima, Kenji Midori or Hideki Ogawa then that's a problem. You can do what freaky already stated; either move away from the impact zone to take away some of the power of the kick or move in to absorb it. I say jam it.

If your sparring partner can head kick even at chest-to-chest range (like the three guys mentioned above), then I think it makes more sense to fight at middle range so you can be able to use your tools and be close enough to move into close range and jam his kicks before they pick up all the momentum needed to make the kick successful. I'll be the first to admit that this doesn't always go as planned and this strategy requires toughness and a fighting spirit that takes time to develop.

Good luck with everything.

I guess you mean a headkick. you need to learn to absorb it. either by going to it or away from it. if you stand still, you take the full power and it will daze you even if you block it.

If you go into it or away from it, you take away some of it's power. Think of football, someone is tackling you and normally you react by tackling him back. Your power vs their power. it cancels out. So if you go into their kick, you cancel out a percentage of their power.

If you go away from it, you're essentially absorbing a percentage of it's power with the movement. It's physics. Hard to explain. But learn to either walk into it or away from it. I like to walk into it and counter at the same time. Like they kicking your right, I would keep my right hand up to block and throw a left straight. It will catch them by surprise/off balance and KO them.

Or you can go away from, block with right and throw a right leg kick of your own and sweep them.

Best way is to go into them, it will knock them off balance.

Though I think you personally know how to block them ... you did a bad job of explaining it to the young man.

If two football players crash with each other, the force would be even greater than if one guy gave in and went with the tackle, though they both will stop running, the force didn't get canceled out really, it traveled to their brains, like it's traveling into TS's brain.

The way you worded it, it gives the impression that he must lean into the kick to lessen it's energy, which is true, but you left out the key ingredient ... if you lean VERY close only.

Which means, that you want to go into the kick before it has time to get momentum. To use your analogy better, if football player A blocked player B before B could take off into a full sprint, he'd never have to deal with the power of a full tackle from B.

Not that I did a much better job of being understood myself lol

Though I think you personally know how to block them ... you did a bad job of explaining it to the young man.

If two football players crash with each other, the force would be even greater than if one guy gave in and went with the tackle, though they both will stop running, the force didn't get canceled out really, it traveled to their brains, like it's traveling into TS's brain.

The way you worded it, it gives the impression that he must lean into the kick to lessen it's energy, which is true, but you left out the key ingredient ... if you lean VERY close only.

Which means, that you want to go into the kick before it has time to get momentum. To use your analogy better, if football player A blocked player B before B could take off into a full sprint, he'd never have to deal with the power of a full tackle from B.

Not that I did a much better job of being understood myself lol

In other words:

either move away from the impact zone to take away some of the power of the kick or move in to absorb it. I say jam it.

.................... move into close range and jam his kicks before they pick up all the momentum needed to make the kick successful.

Good luck with everything.

And the rest of the Muay Thai fighters in Thailand. It's not easy to do though. Take a lot of practice.

Hell no it's not easy. I just associate it with Saenchai because he makes dudes look so bad, and he leans WAY back. Takes a lot of confidence that you're judging the angle of that kick correctly.

It's just that Saenchai seems to have mastered it to a level so few others have. I do think Sudsakorn is pretty good at doing it too.

Not sure this is the most fundamentally sound way to block high kicks but I usually wing block on the incoming side and use my off hand to "catch" the kick with the palm/heel of the palm. Takes more sting off the impact but potentially leaves you open for a punch on the other side if your opponent is fast.

You could also use the off hand to instead underhook their leg into a sweep or dump.

Back