'Blitzing'?

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys

So I was sparring with a pro MT fighter today who introduced me to a type of footwork called 'blitzing'. From what I've gathered, this footwork is meant to be useful for closing the distance, especially against taller fighters. Essentially, what you do is you (1) load your weight into the rear foot, (2) push off of it to explode forwards then (3) rear foot follows and you strike.

From a theoretical standpoint, I can see what this footwork is meant to accomplish - by loading and pushing off the rear foot, you get speed that you won't otherwise be able to get if you just stepped in with your lead foot. Coming from more of a kickboxing/boxing background though, my concern is how easy it seems to counter this technique as going in directly (rather than an angle) makes one very susceptible to being countered by a cross. Not only that but shifting your weight to your rear foot is fairly noticeable (especially if you do it a couple of times).

Fellow sherdoggers, am I grasping the technique wrong? How will you time this technique and/or set it up?

I use this, but I mask it with strikes. Usually I 'bltiz' off with a cross. Its lije a nasty superman when you pull it off

Really I use it more as a setup. When I'm in jab range and the tempo is whatever, then when I blitz, it usually lands. Its wonderful when they're the type to try to parry alot.

If you just do it solo, then its telegraphed.

I always saw blitzing as typical for sport Karate point fighters.

Careful you don't "blitz" yourself into a hard counter.
You'd likely Nazi that coming.
Then the blitzer becomes the blitzee.

<{pranko}>

I'm not sure about the whole "blitzing" thing. It pops up in this striking forum every couple weeks. Seems like just another way to say that you're going to recklessly run into some counters.

The weight load you're talking about onto the rear foot is what I know as a "pull" in boxing. Which is used as a counter, or to reset & re-align onto your opponents center after angling out.

Hi guys

So I was sparring with a pro MT fighter today who introduced me to a type of footwork called 'blitzing'. From what I've gathered, this footwork is meant to be useful for closing the distance, especially against taller fighters. Essentially, what you do is you (1) load your weight into the rear foot, (2) push off of it to explode forwards then (3) rear foot follows and you strike.

From a theoretical standpoint, I can see what this footwork is meant to accomplish - by loading and pushing off the rear foot, you get speed that you won't otherwise be able to get if you just stepped in with your lead foot. Coming from more of a kickboxing/boxing background though, my concern is how easy it seems to counter this technique as going in directly (rather than an angle) makes one very susceptible to being countered by a cross. Not only that but shifting your weight to your rear foot is fairly noticeable (especially if you do it a couple of times).

Fellow sherdoggers, am I grasping the technique wrong? How will you time this technique and/or set it up?
I think I've seen Conor McGregor do this. Can't find any evidence though I haven't looked very hard.

Hi guys

This?

sounds like how you through a proper right hand to me. you just don't lunge at the end. transfering all your weight is the only proper way to throw a hard punch.

Bisping KO'ed Luke Rockhold because Rockhold decided to do exactly this at the end of the fight, when Rockhold was way, way ahead on the fight. Bisping isn't even usually a counterpuncher. But he did when he was tired and beaten down and seemingly about to lose. If Rockhold hadn't pounced with this exact move, he would definitely have won that fight lopsidedly.

Blitz is an appealing trick against beginners but will get you killed against someone that's not even that great. It's easy to see coming.

Here's a poor mans version of blitzing. No combo, no guard, just run straight to him.

my mate trains very light back foot emphasis in his footwork from what I've gathered, he says a lot of aggressive bounce-forward styles of standing (dominic cruz is a successful example of this I feel) leaves even the best fighters open to gut-busting low TDs that crack ribs in their worst timings

then again he's a wide stance guy and always prefers lateral movement as his counter for everything (according to his guys any TD suffered during lateral movement has better grappling defenses available across the board)

curious to know what people think about the bullfighting because from what I've seen in european gyms it gets clowned for not being boxing derived like a proper "man"

Back