BJJ olympic sport???

htownjiujitsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Any word on if and when Brazillian Jiu jitsu will become an olympic sport. Im not planning on going to the olympics or anything lol i just wanna watch it on T.V and i wanna see the sport get bumped up to that level it would help me explain to some people what brazillian jiu jitsu is. Any news/links regaurding that would be amazing.

oh and btw if it becomes an olympic sport i can drop Tennis for my athletic credits in highschool and just get my bjj coach to sign a sheet that says i train in an olympic sport for more then 5 hours a week meaning monday to friday which is nothing. My school doesnt have a wrestling team =(

i did and came up with nothing?!? only thing close was people asking if mma or pankrotron may be an olympic sport did u see anything else

to become an olympic sport, 70 countries will need to have full male and female teams of black belts. marcio feitosa said the world isnt quite there. to full those requirements will water down the standards.

It will be eventually as it grows in popularity. Not yet, though.

Come on man.

They're cutting back on wrestling, and you think they're going to add BJJ?

we're more likely to see mma or a beefed up pankration

It wouldn't take much to integrate judo and BJJ, would it? They come from the same root style.

- J.

Has anyone noticed the amount of people that have started jiu jitsu in the last month in a half i swear my gym at least doubled in size i feel like the sport is really starting to blow up thats why i said that i mean like almost every day we have someone sign up

Any word on if and when Brazillian Jiu jitsu will become an olympic sport. Im not planning on going to the olympics or anything lol i just wanna watch it on T.V and i wanna see the sport get bumped up to that level it would help me explain to some people what brazillian jiu jitsu is. Any news/links regaurding that would be amazing.

oh and btw if it becomes an olympic sport i can drop Tennis for my athletic credits in highschool and just get my bjj coach to sign a sheet that says i train in an olympic sport for more then 5 hours a week meaning monday to friday which is nothing. My school doesnt have a wrestling team =(
So 18 years later, we can safely say there is  zero chance of BJJ becoming an Olympic sport. Why? The Olympics do not allow derivative sports, and BJJ for all its development is ultimately considered to be a form of Judo, that is a Judo ground fighting derivative art.

However, I do think that submission wrestling has a chance. Nogi looks visually more different, is faster paced which lends itself to viewership more and has multiple points of origin not just Judo/BJJ but Catch, Sambo and Folkstyle so it can come in as a separate sport. I would like to see it actually.

So 18 years later, we can safely say there is  zero chance of BJJ becoming an Olympic sport. Why? The Olympics do not allow derivative sports, and BJJ for all its development is ultimately considered to be a form of Judo, that is a Judo ground fighting derivative art.

However, I do think that submission wrestling has a chance. Nogi looks visually more different, is faster paced which lends itself to viewership more and has multiple points of origin not just Judo/BJJ but Catch, Sambo and Folkstyle so it can come in as a separate sport. I would like to see it actually.
Aren't there like 400 different swimming events?

Aren't there like 400 different swimming events?
I think a somewhat poor analogy.
I did say however I am for nogi being in there but again, freestyle wrestling might have issue with it. I also don't think people screaming in pain clutching their broken ankles is a good look for the Olympics.

I think the best bet for BJJ fans is to campaign for more time doing newaza in Olympic Judo.

The Olympics went woke. If they push this tranny shit too far, more people will say fuck it and there won't even BE an Olympics anymore. Which might not even be a bad thing.

The Olympics went woke. If they push this tranny shit too far, more people will say fuck it and there won't even BE an Olympics anymore. Which might not even be a bad thing.
Combat sports are generally exempted from this woke bullshit, and there has been enough pushback in other sports that I think the Olympics is safe.
I think it would be cool to see BJJ as a demonstration or exhibition sport though, maybe as an acompaniment to the Judo competition. The reason Olympic style Judo focused more on the throws was to make it more viewer friendly anyway, so I can't see them advocating for a style that spends all it's time on the ground.

Fuck the IOC. These athletes make peanuts and only handful can make money while the IOC fatties steal from coffers. Hope it dies.

Last edited:
Fuck the IOC. These athletes could Norte for peanuts and only handful can make money while the IOC fatties steal from coffers. Hope it dies.
Honestly it would be in the best interests of the athletes if it DID die and they just stick to commissions of their own specific sport composed of people who actually give a shit about that sport.

Back