Bjj kid wants stand up

Matthew Goldberg

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
how do I explain to my 11 year old that bjj is his best option for his age to train in for future UFC contract? The UFC contract is his dream, right after playing football at Alabama ( remember he's 11). I've told him the best thing to do is train in bjj, do tournaments, and exercise on a regular basis. Pretty sound wisdom I think but cause Dad said it he thinks I'm just holding him back or something. He's thinking bjj is just for kids that can't stand up fight so he doesn't apply himself to technique. He just muscles his way thru tournaments, relying on his athleticism. This is not a Dad trying to push his kid or live thru his kid. This is a Dad trying to explain to his kid that getting punched in the face on a regular basis is not a good idea at 11 years old. And even if I wanted to there's no "tournaments " for his age in standup mma to even put him in. Can somebody give me some wisdom to bestow on him or some info to UFC guys talking up the importance of bjj , grappling at a young age and waiting till your older to punch and kick people?

I understand you not wanting a young kid getting hit in the head repeatedly and completely agree with you. However, I think he can start to learn some striking at this age as well. He doesn't need to enter competitions or have fights yet but he can cross train certainly. There should be some kickboxing or karate schools that you might be able to find for him.

Are there any MMA gyms in the area or BJJ schools that focus on MMA? MMA is a sport with aspects different from other combat sports that need to be trained as well. That would probably be the ideal solution.

He may want to join his school wrestling team as well. This will certain help his future career goals and possibly provide a scholarship later on.

To many meat heads involved in MMA nowadays that think striking is all about beating each others faces every night. Wrong.

If your son would rather do striking than grappling, getting him involved in a legit boxing, karate, or taekwondo school would have him receiving minimal blows to the head.

If your son's interest is truly in Mixed Martial arts, then he needs to understand the importance of grappling. That being said he's 11 years old, let him do Taekwondo or karate for a few years by itself then get him into grappling after he's been doing that a while.

Wrestling is the answer. At 11 he will very little fear of falls and takedowms and the ground control in folkstyle is great. Tons of MMA stars got there start in Folkstyle wrestling. Alabama wrestling is pretty lame (so is my state) but it is still a great sport with plenty of kids to give him trouble. Finally there is no gi. To an 11 year old dreaming of MMA the Gi is wierd.

Put him in boxing lessons. They won't let him spar until he's old enough.

Easier to learn bjj after learning striking than the other way around.

Take him to a wrestling class and boxing, it should do it.

how do I explain to my 11 year old that bjj is his best option for his age to train in for future UFC contract?
You cannot because judo is the best option for his age. Wrestling is the second best option.

well, if hes muscling out of things and relying on athletism, may be you shoul take him to a better school.. or put him in wrestling. I dont think hell believe wrestling is for guys who cant stand up.

Actually, f you are living in the states, then wrestling should be N1... he can do bjj on the off season.

You cannot because judo is the best option for his age. Wrestling is the second best option.

Why learn judo over wrestling in his case? Wrestling is great for mma while judo sucks.

My son thinks he is going to fight UFC some day too. I think he listens to me since I competed a lot in a striking art (and can teach him at home), but mostly he watched enough to see that if you don't have strong ground game it's much harder. I feel like a strong ground game then add striking is better at this age then the other way.
He also played football a couple years and saw a kid knocked out and out of schools while with a hard hit so he is pretty aware of needing to protect the melon.

Honestly research the area around you. You might find a high level school of any discipline around you that would be great to learn basic body mechanics.

I started Judo in JH and credit those early formative years to excelling in HS, Collegiate sports and combat sports after and now have been able to train at a high level up into my 40's.

Judo and HS wrestling, if he's talented enough get him on the Soccer team and track in the spring. 4 years of that kind of experience you can basically do anything you want athletically after with that base.

It's easier to learn striking first you think?
I think I agree, getting used to getting hit is best done early. But other than that, isn't grappling the safe way to start MMA, like everyone says?

It's easier to learn striking first you think?
I think I agree, getting used to getting hit is best done early. But other than that, isn't grappling the safe way to start MMA, like everyone says?

From my own experience, bjj grappling should be learned last. Wrestling and boxing first. If you learn wrestling as a kid you'll get great fundamentals for dictating where you want the fight to go and learn how to control someone on the ground.

Boxing is a must after that because you'll get used to getting hit and learn about distance and how to defend using only your hands.

After that you can learn to kick and bjj.

Says who?

I've never seen someone learn to kick box faster than high school wrestlers.

Send him to Thailand or Russia over the summer for a 6 week camp.

Betcha he wants to do BJJ after that

Back