BJJ & Judo near Yonsei University in Seoul?

Dojooh

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I'm going to be in Seoul, Korea for about 5 weeks this summer doing a language immersion program at Yonsei university and am looking to get some training in.

Any recommendations for BJJ gyms? I know John Frankl gets mentioned a lot. I noticed that he has quite a few gyms. Does anyone know if there is a gym that is particularly solid as far as training partners, skill level, and intensity of training?

Also, I just started doing judo last month and would like to keep that up. Does anyone have any experience with the Yonsei judo club? Looking for information about whether they train in the summer and whether they allow beginners to work in with them. Alternatively, would appreciate any information about other judo clubs near Yonsei University.

Thanks!

Hey fellas,

I'm going to be in Seoul, Korea for about 5 weeks this summer doing a language immersion program at Yonsei university and am looking to get some training in.

Any recommendations for BJJ gyms? I know John Frankl gets mentioned a lot. I noticed that he has quite a few gyms. Does anyone know if there is a gym that is particularly solid as far as training partners, skill level, and intensity of training?

Also, I just started doing judo last month and would like to keep that up. Does anyone have any experience with the Yonsei judo club? Looking for information about whether they train in the summer and whether they allow beginners to work in with them. Alternatively, would appreciate any information about other judo clubs near Yonsei University.

Thanks!

John Frankls always a good choice.
Savi MMA is really solid in terms of MMA/no gi/ wrestling, but don't really offer any gi grappling.

Most gyms are located in the gangnam area which is about 30minutes by bus from Sinchon, so if you're willing to take the bus/subway, check a few gyms in Gangnam.

Most judo gyms in Korea, if not all of them will probably be too much for you. Koreans are almost up there with the Japanese when it comes to judo and it's one of the only countries where it's taught from them being kids.

I'd stick to BJJ for the most part and maybe go to one of the judo gyms to experience what it's like but I wouldn't expect to gain much from it.

The kids in this video are under 13 years old I think.

I can not speak for Seoul specifically, but judo is one of the rare martial arts in Korea where students often skew older. Unlike taekwondo or geumdo where most students quit after middle school, a fair number of university students continue to do judo. This is partially (mostly) because the police academy requirement of at least one black belt in a martial art.

It is absolutely possible to find a judo gym in Korea that has beginners. The area around a university is one of the best places to look. The Korean word for judo is 유도. Search for it on Daum maps in the area you are interested.

The university club is probably WAY beyond your level. And it is Korea, of course they will be training in summer.:icon_chee

Don't let the other people in this group scare you from training Judo. The University club is an excellent option, you will get some good training in and will also be able to meet friends. The Judo club consists of both beginners and experienced practitioners, and usually everyone is welcome. Sports is a great way of bonding with Koreans (which can be difficult) and learning the language. Student clubs tend to be less active during summer though.

John Frankl is most likely a good option, there is a gym just by Sinchon station. As previously mentioned there are more options south of the river.

Most judo gyms in Korea, if not all of them will probably be too much for you. Koreans are almost up there with the Japanese when it comes to judo and it's one of the only countries where it's taught from them being kids.

I'd stick to BJJ for the most part and maybe go to one of the judo gyms to experience what it's like but I wouldn't expect to gain much from it.

The kids in this video are under 13 years old I think.

Are there no schools for adults beginners? I believe they have that even in Japan.

I studied at Yonsei for a month and trained at John Frankl's school in Sinchon, my thoughts:

- Really convenient location if you live in Sinchon (few mins walk from the station) which was important for me (legging it to Gangnam from Sinchon in the summer ain't no fun)

- instructor there most days was Korean blackbelt and all instruction is in Korean, there are some English speaking guys in the class who can help you out (assuming u can't speak Korean), everyone was friendly and welcoming

- teaching was good, techniques we learned were useful and competition-geared (2-on-1 into single-legs, DLR/RDLR sweeps)

- belt levels: majority white and blues, 2-3 purples, BB instructor rolls

- training intensity: wasn't the most intense training in terms of cardio, mat space is small and going balls out in sparring was discouraged

- price: i think i was quoted a $20/lesson initially, but negotiated it down if i paid a whole month, can't remember the exact price but yeah try n negotiate

- overall it was good, met some cool ppl and got solid training in for reasonable cost with minimum fuss

Are there no schools for adults beginners? I believe they have that even in Japan.

They probably do beginner classes, they do those at the Kodokan but at a low level I don't think you'd notice the difference between there and your local judo gym.

I suppose you'd probably pick up some good habits for techniques etc but, as long as you have a technically sound coach at home, then you probably won't notice the difference.

Thanks for the info guys. It is much appreciated.

I guess I will be packing my judo gis.

Regarding the bjj gyms south of the river, is there one in particular that's good for gi jiu jitsu and does anyone know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get over there?

Thanks for the info guys. It is much appreciated.

I guess I will be packing my judo gis.

Regarding the bjj gyms south of the river, is there one in particular that's good for gi jiu jitsu and does anyone know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get over there?

One of my buddies runs a gym in Seoul and my other buddy trains at another gym. Send me a PM. I'm not sure how far they are from you, but I can find out. Seoul is fucking huge.

Hi, not sure where to post this, but when I google searched, this thread came up. I am currently living in Gangnam and looking for a place that offers adult judo classes. I am REALLY beginner. Total beginner. I have been searching, but haven't really been able to find much even though I see everyone saying all the gyms are in Gangnam. I can't really speak Korean that well so I was hoping for a place that speaks English, but I am willing to go to a Korean speaking place assuming the language barrier won't be too much of a problem. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? :) Thanks so much

I live far from Gangnam but a quick search for 유도 강남 brings up a ton of gyms:
https://www.google.co.kr/#q=유도+강남&r...08608,127041396,2352&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:3

There's also the korean judo page, which has all registered gyms listed... http://judo.sports.or.kr/servlets/o...ch&listcount=10&orderby=&direction=&curpage=1

Can't seem to sort it any more precisely than Seoul tho which isn't very useful (the drop down options for searching are like 'keyword', 'gym name', 'gym master').

If you mean you can't find anywhere that speaks english / these places don't offer adult classes, then I can't really help you since I've never been to any of these places >_<

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back