BJJ in Tulsa, Oklahoma

laborstrife

White Belt
Reaction score
I am looking to solicit views/feedback on the various BJJ gyms in Tulsa, to include: Triton, Team Nogueira Tulsa, Leonardo Xavier, Oklahoma Fight Club, Tulsa Top Team, and any others. Essentially, I am searching for a good place for a beginner to start training.

There are a few Renato Tavares guys, and then Team Nog.

I dont know who instructs at Team Nog though. It doesnt say.

I am looking to solicit views/feedback on the various BJJ gyms in Tulsa, to include: Triton, Team Nogueira Tulsa, Leonardo Xavier, Oklahoma Fight Club, Tulsa Top Team, and any others. Essentially, I am searching for a good place for a beginner to start training.

My name is Piet Wilhelm (brown belt). I am the head instructor along with Mike Budnik (brown belt) at Triton Fight Center. We welcome everyone from beginner to advance. Our membership is $85 for the month with access to 7 training days a week and as many session you want to attend during the day.

Team Nog is lead by two former students of mine. Jim Straley and Shawn Kays both currently brown belts as well.

LX is out of Extreme Combat Plus lead by Blake Hayse. Also a brown belt.

OFC id lead by Mikey Burnett who is a purple belt under Megaton's lineage.

Tulsa Top Team is now name Top Team because they are out of Owasso. It is lead by a purple belt. Not sure lineage or name of the instructor.

There are many good schools in tulsa. I am at team nog so i am bias. I know our bjj is of outstanding quality. We just took 14 down to n.a.g.a. On may 22nd and 12 of the 14 placed. Jim straley, one of our brown belts, has won the past two n.a.g.a.s and also placed 3rd at the u.s. Nationals. Our other brown, shawn kays, is in my opinion and pretty much the rest of tulsa, one of the most technical in the area even more so than most blacks...he just rarely competes. I am a purple belt and just won both the expert no gi and purple belt gi divisions at naga.

Each school has its advantages...try them all.

I realize this may be a bit late, but if you are in the northern part of the Tulsa Metro, there is also Clinch in Owasso (www.owassobjj.com). Christian Derr is a great teacher. He is a brown belt under Jean Jacques Machado and has a good relationship with Piet at Triton Fight Centers.

I realize this may be a bit late, but if you are in the northern part of the Tulsa Metro, there is also Clinch in Owasso (www.owassobjj.com). Christian Derr is a great teacher. He is a brown belt under Jean Jacques Machado and has a good relationship with Piet at Triton Fight Centers.

great coach!!!

I was recently promoted to black belt over the weekend by Master Renato Tavares. We are currently the largest BJJ/MMA facility in the area when it comes to people on the mat. Average class size is close to 60 on any given night. It is a great atmosphere with plenty of people to train with and everyone has a great attitude. Our facility includes 3,500 sq ft of mat, 26 X 24 six sided cage, 1,500 sq ft of crossfit equipment, kid's zone, and more.

We have taken 2nd and 3rd place as a team at NAGA the whole year of 2010 and usually take away 1st in other divisions. My students are all over the place competing in CO, MO, TX, AR, FL, CA, NY, IL, and out of the country. Most taking top three as individuals at top events.

But I agree with Jimmy, check every place out and go where you feel comfortable.

While this is late, I wanted to post my 2 cents. Go to the gym/club and check it out for at least a month before you make any decision to stay. While Triton has a strong presence in Tulsa I would strongly recommend checking out the other gyms. Matthew Vernon, a 4th degree brown belt under Professor Christian Derr of Clinch Martial Arts in Owasso, is a great coach. Another great coach is Craig Blacklock of WCF Tulsa.

Back