BJJ Guard Retention: Preemptive Framing, Part 1

DPS831

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Here's a video I created that breaks down & analyzes what I call "preemptive framing." Marcelo has been using this type of framing for years, and it's starting to become a lot more popular in sport BJJ. The idea behind it is to begin framing top players out before they can stabilize side control. I hope you enjoy it:

Here's Part 2 if anyone is interested:

Good stuff, wish someone showed me this when i was a white belt. Took me years of getting crossfaced and passed to figure this out. Framing should be taught mandatory to new people.

Used this technique extensively last night with fantastic results! Thanks so much for the vids. Please keep them coming.

Here's a video I created that breaks down & analyzes what I call "preemptive framing." Marcelo has been using this type of framing for years, and it's starting to become a lot more popular in sport BJJ. The idea behind it is to begin framing top players out before they can stabilize side control. I hope you enjoy it:

Fantastic videos, thanks for posting them!

Three escapes are shown: bringing far leg in, bracing and hipping out / reguarding and framing / sitting.

I have never gotten the bracing while hipping out to reguard technique to work for me, even though it's a fundamental escape in BJJ. The video mentions that you need to brace in a way that keeps the opponent's weight off your hips.

Can anyone tell me more about how you do this? I think this is exactly why I fail. When the people in the video brace they're not moving their opponents so their own hands are vertically above their heads. What are they doing?

Fantastic videos, thanks for posting them!

Three escapes are shown: bringing far leg in, bracing and hipping out / reguarding and framing / sitting.

I have never gotten the bracing while hipping out to reguard technique to work for me, even though it's a fundamental escape in BJJ. The video mentions that you need to brace in a way that keeps the opponent's weight off your hips.

Can anyone tell me more about how you do this? I think this is exactly why I fail. When the people in the video brace they're not moving their opponents so their own hands are vertically above their heads. What are they doing?

Are you referring to the guard retention progressions used by Keenan in the first part? The basic idea of using the hip escape before the opponent settles into side control is to turn inward and use the back leg to move your hips away, thereby creating more space between you and the passer. The goal of the passer is to minimize space, and control the bottom person's hips (usually by going chest-on-chest and controlling the head; if the head is controlled it is difficult to turn inward and hip escape, so head control essentially becomes hip control as well). What Keenan is attempting to do in the video is to stiff arm the passer away, keeping him away from his hips & head. In the clip, the passer (Cardoso) has so much forward pressure that he is able to close the space before Keenan can hip escape out. Keenan then abandons the hip escape and goes for the frame + posting hand.

Watch again at 5:35. Hopefully what I said makes sense.

Are you referring to the guard retention progressions used by Keenan in the first part? The basic idea of using the hip escape before the opponent settles into side control is to turn inward and use the back leg to move your hips away, thereby creating more space between you and the passer. The goal of the passer is to minimize space, and control the bottom person's hips (usually by going chest-on-chest and controlling the head; if the head is controlled it is difficult to turn inward and hip escape, so head control essentially becomes hip control as well). What Keenan is attempting to do in the video is to stiff arm the passer away, keeping him away from his hips & head. In the clip, the passer (Cardoso) has so much forward pressure that he is able to close the space before Keenan can hip escape out. Keenan then abandons the hip escape and goes for the frame + posting hand.

Watch again at 5:35. Hopefully what I said makes sense.

Yep, Keenan at 5:49. I didn't realize you meant that Keenan was simply physically keeping his opponent's body off his hips. lol because the rest of this is so technical I thought you were saying Keenan was doing something tricky, like, I dunno, trying to keep the guy over his head instead of his hips.

love these videos, btw.

These are straight up awesome. I'm seeing stuff that I do but I didn't even realize I was doing. Now I feel like I can work on it and make it even better. Cheers!

you can try to upload part 3 to vimeo.. they not that strict with copyrights

Back