BJJ for S+C

Bzerkfury

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey so i was thinking about changing my workouts around too see diffrent results and compare. So atm i do muay thai 3× a week mon,wed,friday and ive been doing weights and cardio tues,thurs but ive been thinking about giving up weights and just grappling those days for all my strength work.
Has anyone done something similar to this? Using grappling for strength and if so please share your knowledge and experience?

Using grappling for strength and if so please share your knowledge and experience?

Grappling isn't a replacement for strength training.

I'd also point out that you're likely to become a better technical grappler if you aren't focused on using strength to get your way. I think I learned much slower than my peers when I started BJJ because I came in very large and strong, and I relied on that way more than I should have.

lifting conditioning is a supplement. at the end of the day never choose a day of lifting, or conditioning when you could go to the gym to get better at fighting. skill training takes years and years to get down. strength and conditioning doesn't take near as long, depends on your goals as well.

Hey so i was thinking about changing my workouts around too see diffrent results and compare. So atm i do muay thai 3× a week mon,wed,friday and ive been doing weights and cardio tues,thurs but ive been thinking about giving up weights and just grappling those days for all my strength work.
Has anyone done something similar to this? Using grappling for strength and if so please share your knowledge and experience?

No. Strength training is it's own thing. Grappling is a sport or hobby, not a replacement for strength training. If you want to grapple, then go for it! It's a lot of fun. If you need to cut back on strength training to pursue your sports then try cutting back to 2x a week and see how that works for you.

If you are extremely weak you can get stronger from grappling.

Are you extremely weak?

I really liked grappling for conditioning work. I'd rather roll than run.

I added a short strength workout on my grappling days and my strength improved too. A few deadlifts or squats, presses, rows, and pullups, that's all it took to get a bit stronger.

Grappling is kind of like strength training in that regard. If you're a complete novice, put a little work into it and you will see great improvements. You have to put increasingly more effort into improving as you get better/stronger. If you're weak and find that you're not improving as you'd like, you'll need to dedicate time and effort to an actual strength training program.

Makes no sense to be intentionally weak to only pursue technique in some facade that it helps you develope technique better.....you still learn technique while being strong and will produce more force in grappling than if you were weaker

Have you been to a grappling gym? You may not get near as much roll time as you think and more technique work.

I really liked grappling for conditioning work. I'd rather roll than run.

I added a short strength workout on my grappling days and my strength improved too. A few deadlifts or squats, presses, rows, and pullups, that's all it took to get a bit stronger.

Grappling is kind of like strength training in that regard. If you're a complete novice, put a little work into it and you will see great improvements. You have to put increasingly more effort into improving as you get better/stronger. If you're weak and find that you're not improving as you'd like, you'll need to dedicate time and effort to an actual strength training program.

Sure, you'll get a little stronger and gain endurance from grappling. You'll also have great technique gains from it. Ultimately, you'll hit a level where if you want to get real results you will need to get into a gym. You're not developing large powerful hips from grappling practice.

Sure, you'll get a little stronger and gain endurance from grappling. You'll also have great technique gains from it. Ultimately, you'll hit a level where if you want to get real results you will need to get into a gym. You're not developing large powerful hips from grappling practice.
Absolutely. If you're getting stronger from grappling practice, you were pretty weak to start with.

And if you're weak and want to get strong, the most efficient way there isn't by grappling.

To me its a good program, with muay thai or grappling e every day you ll not get bigger but you ll definitively be fit and sharp.
I would favor it to any lift session. But yep it depend what you are looking for..

if you train BJJ until you are a black belt, then lift a bunch and get really strong after that point, do you become like some kind of super black belt?

Back