BJJ and Chess

It's a comment made to highlight the mental aspects of the art of BJJ. Physicality is not all there is to this sport.

Of course, very few sports only have positions for gigantic, moronic Neanderthals. As least someone on the field has to be intelligent.

I'll say the comparison works well in a few instances. As someone earlier said, the winner in chess (and typically in BJJ) is the person that can see farther into the future, meaning they can see more moves ahead. If they can see farther ahead, then they can plan for it and stay one, two or even three steps ahead of the game.

Another way it is comparable is in the art of baiting. You bait in chess by feigning weakness to get one's opponent to enter a weakened posture themselves. This is a common practice in BJJ.

Finally, BJJ like chess, can be played in various different ways and styles. Some people prefer attacking, others defending and watching for weaknesses. Some prefer slow, controlled games, while others like wide open, fast paced games. The ability of the game of chess and BJJ to accommodate varying styles of play makes them similar.

But yeah, the analogy is overused.

That's funny, I always thought it was like submission wrestling but with a gi. Boy do I have a lot to learn.

I made this analogy on another forum and people said it was silly

BJJ is like tic-tac-toe vs. Joshua.

Would you like to play a game?

It's actually interesting that you happened to bring up this topic right now. I just started reading a book by a famous chess player and now BJJ Purple Belt - Josh Waitzkin. He was the main character in the book (and movie) Searching For Bobby Fischer.

Anyway, the book is called The Art of Learning and it talks about his philosophy on how to learn.

After Chess, he became a World Champion in the Push Hands competition for Tai Chi, and now he's going for his black belt in BJJ.

Here's an interview that On the Mat did with him. On The Mat

Another back-story I heard is that he made his blue belt in 6 weeks and he trains with some Division 1 wrestlers who couldn't take him down. He also does a lot of private lessons with Marcelo.

I'm only half-way through the book, but it's definitely worth reading.

Back