Bitcoin Minning Rig: So This Explains Why We Cannot Buy Decent GPU's For Cheap Money

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by PEB, Mar 25, 2018.

1. PEB

PEB Atomic Butt Drop Champ :)

{<goku} We must have all your GPU's.

Bitcoin mining setup.

2. Gandzooka

Gandzooka Green Belt

I'm still stuck on my 970gtx, hopefully prices come down so I can upgrade

PEB likes this.
  3. Striderxdj

Striderxdj Brown Belt

Create an account with EVGA, set all cards you would consider for email alerts, and wait.

Ive seen just about every card I tagged from the 1070ti to the 1080ti "Kingpin edition" come available in the last month or so, and the price is considerably better than you will get it anywhere else.

Bought a 1080 ftw a few weeks ago for 650, cheapest I could find that same card for elsewhere was around 899.

4. method115

method115 Steel Belt

That's not worth it at all. I got my 1070 for $345. Prices are fucking crazy and I'm not paying it. I wanted to get back in to PC gaming (for like the third time in 3 years. My wife's going to go nuts) but these prices have kept me away.

AlphaBetaShark and TheWorm like this.
  5. Madmick

Madmick Scholar of Taghaza Staff Member Senior Moderator

Is there a reason you don't buy one of the AIOs, or are you merely looking for a GPU to upgrade a current rig?

Good news (mostly for gamers). China has come up with a cheap processor aimed at Crypto, so this should relieve the more gaming-oriented GPU market:
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...des-to-negative-on-crypto-concerns-2018-03-26
    The market itself continues to not make sense to me. AMD is better positioned than it has been since 2009, and it's posting the first actual operating profits in roughly a half decade, yet their stock is getting hammered.

6. PEB

PEB Atomic Butt Drop Champ :)

The thing is the Bitmain is just one of many new ASIC's coming out there are like 6 or 7 of them. Bitmain apparently sells so many it makes as much cash as Nvidia made last year. The other thing is they are really not making something very complex I am surprised the US is not dominating that market for ASIC Etherium and Bitcoin mining chips. It has 28 to 100's ASIC's per box and more depending on configuration. They say on average they take around 4 to 6 months to pay for themselves including electrical usage. So it does not sound that good but compared to how long you have to wait for Nvidia or AMD based rig to pay for itself sometimes 18 to 24 moths you can see how ASIC's are gaining ground.

https://antminerchina.com/shop/antminer-l3/

7. Madmick

They "pay for themselves" in paper money.

That's what crypto amounts to right now. It's not really even a matter of liquidity, either. It's just straight up paper value. At the end of the day the cheap Chinese billion-core processors that pursue hardware acceleration specifically for crypto-mining are going to be the best bang-for-your-buck by miles even if NVIDIA and AMD said, "Fuck gamers" and went after that market with 100% of what they have. The knock-off semiconductors are just better positioned for this industry task.

Because of it they'll be gamers' saving grace. So Godspeed, Bitmain. Godspeed.

method115 likes this.
  8. P0NYBOY

P0NYBOY Blue Belt

Wait until black friday for GTX 10X0 card prices to fall.

I'm not sure buying a GTX1080 that was likely overclocked and crowded into a makeshift rig with a bunch of others is a very good idea.

9. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

I have 2 bitcoin and want it to go higher. Sorry guys lol.

10. 90 50

90 50 Black Belt

Gpu mining is over, the algorithms require the mining boxes now to be profitable. Used mining gpu’s Are everywhere at fire sale prices.

11. Dreadlock666

Dreadlock666 Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army

I buy a new full desktop rig every 18 months, but I've always held onto the GPUs for some reason.

This mining boom has been awesome for me because I've now been able to sell them all for a sizable chunk of cash.

Actually sold my 1070 for more than I bought it a year prior, after thrashing it to death in a build too.

12. Dreadlock666

PS - I actually don't fully understand why GPUs are being bought up for this. They're mainly optimised for processing of geometric data.

Whilst they can obviously be used for other types of comps, I would think it would be easier and cheaper to either A) buy CPUs or B) a bigger group to invest in the development of a dedicated hash processing unit.

13. 90 50

90 50 Black Belt

Gpu mining was not cpu intense and basically any random cpu would do the trick from what I gather.

Cpu’s Aren’t really good for mining.

And yes, purpose built mining devices are what’s the new trend now, since
    A. The algorithms are too complex to make gpu mining profitable now
    B. Gpu prices were soaring.

This is good for two reasons for us,
    The new prices on gpu’s are falling back to “ normal”
    AND used gpu prices have never been lower for good gpu’s.

Non mainstream mining gpu’s prices have fallen even lower since you can get a newer better one at bargain basement prices.

Some people are scared of buying a used mining gpu, that’s cool. Buy a 150.00 980 ti off Craigslist that’s never seen mining.

Which till this day still smokes everything But the 1080 pretty much and if you are playing something that allows or is optimized for sli, put TWO of those bastards in ther for 300 or less.

I’m seriously about to pull the trigger on two 980 ti’s to replace my 970 because of the deal I just found.

And I don’t even need it. I don’t even need the 970, that I got in a sweet package deal for what I do the 85.00 1050 ti I got on a smoking craigslist deal right by my house is more than enough.

I don’t really game on my pc, I mostly game on my Xbox and use my pc for video editing(and other shit but that’s why i have a gpu)

Dreadlock666 likes this.
  14. Dreadlock666

Sounds like a good move to SLI them el cheapo 980s.

I'm running a 1080ti, best card I've ever had and it's pretty good. I do a lot of work with point clouds which annihilates the GPU, so this step up from 1070 has been great.

Only issue is the price, bitch cost me $1,100 new. I could have waited a bit for next gen but I knew I was travelling so had to finish my rig.

90 50 likes this.
  15. Satanical Eve

Satanical Eve Cro Cop's Left Leg Platinum Member

With Nvidia about to release their new RTX series cards on September 20th and the bitcoin bubble popping so to speak now is a good time to buy the 10 series cards since their prices have dropped.

16. Madmick

Nah. GTX 10 series pricing is meh, sales have evaporated as the march to Black Friday has begun, and there has been no price drop stimulated by the RTX announcement because the RTX launch party sucked:

[​IMG]

The GTX 1060 6GB, the most popular gamer card on the market, had a lower average retail price in March 2017 than today. Heck, they were cheaper at this time in September in 2016 just a few months after their launch.

PCPP is showing me an entry price point of $260 when last month we were seeing routine sales that brought this down to a range of $210-$230 for various models.

17. 90 50

90 50 Black Belt

They are 220-240 depending on brand for the OC versions at my microcenter.

Edit: nvrmd im an idiot those prices were for 3g not 6g, the 6g prices here are in line with what you are seeing as well.