Big MMA Myth: Yoel Romero has bad cardio. Gifs included

They have been saying it for ages, but at the same time, Romero doesnt push the fastest pace and that helps with his performance, will see how it goes if he ever goes to the championship rounds.

We can all agree that Kennedy fight was bullshit right

I don't think a river of tears is worth 10 seconds of rest. In the grand scheme of things, it's not even close to the worst thing he's done as far as cheating

LateDishonestHyracotherium.gif

This doesn't make any sense.

Romero is such a fucking beast - glad USADA didn't KO his career.

I want him to be a MW champion,great fighter,exciting.IMO he has more chance to beat Rockhold then Weidman.He can beat both of them only by KO and thats where Rockhold is not in the same spot as Weidman,and Weidman is a wrestler too and loves to push the pace,super tough dude so he is much harder fight for Yoel.Yoel needs to keep the fight standing aganist both Rockhold and Weidman and hope he can finish them.

Romero getting all of these late finishes isn't a testament to his cardio as much as it is a testament to the value of his high fight IQ. As much as everyone gawks at his incredible physique and athleticism, it's his gamesmanship that make hime so special as a fighter

I thought most already knew that Romeo just paces himself... that he tries to lull his opponents to exposing themselves for an opening.

same thing with OSP... he looks disinterested in there for most of the fight...but he's always ready to pounce on an opening. They are both quick as fuck, when they need to be.

On sherdog i'm always reading that Romero has bad cardio and many of those people base it on the fight against Jacare. They don't take in consideration that he had the flu. On top of that he went on a barrage for a big part of the first round trying to finish Jacare by going all out with the ground and pound in Jacare's highly dangerous full guard and punch himself out. Note that Jacare hasn't been hurt that bad for a long long time.
sk7aQFt.gif

Most fighters would be gassed so bad they couldn't even move the next rounds but Romero still did well.

For example almost the same thing happend during the Magny vs Lombard fight and Lombard punched himself out so badly trying to finish Magny he couldn't even move in the next rounds resulting in him getting finished by Magny.
GlassSoupyAdmiralbutterfly.gif

UniformOddGemsbok.gif

LateCloseAlpinegoat.gif

On top of that people neglect the fact that most of Romero's finishes are in the third round meaning he doesn't have a cardio problem when he doesn't have the flu and paces himself well. An good example for this is the Machida fight where he paced himself very well for three rounds and almost murdered Machida in the third with his brutal ground and pound while still moving fresh and not tired.
LateDishonestHyracotherium.gif

QuarrelsomeNeedyCrayfish.gif

Here is a finish in the third against Brunson who is having an impressive win streak since that loss:
tumblr_mzhpfo0rpx1qaa8d1o1_250.gif

Impressive takedown in the third:
giphy-tumblr.gif

Romero doesn't have bad cardio normally and it was an incident in the Jacare fight. He actually did very well cardio wise if you take the flu and barrage on Jacare in consideration. Yoel is a very impressive fighter who came into the sport late in his career and had to learn a lot of things which other fighters have learned from since they were young but has dominated on this level nonetheless.

War gay Jezus.
UFCYoelRomero.gif

400_Yoel_Romero.0.0.jpg
No Kennedy gif?

And that with the little time he's had to develop his striking in comparison to for example Machida who did it since he was a kid. If he began sooner with mma he would have been even more impressive and unstoppable.

Romero's brother is a champion boxer, he has been training, just not as much as his wrestling, since he was young.

He has lower than average cardio

and he should've picked his shots better in the Jacare fight. Jacare wasn't even that hurt... he got rocked initially but immediately became aware when he hit the ground. I feel he was pushing that finish when it wasn't quite there

He has lower than average cardio

and he should've picked his shots better in the Jacare fight. Jacare wasn't even that hurt... he got rocked initially but immediately became aware when he hit the ground. I feel he was pushing that finish when it wasn't quite there
Jacare barely could walk back to his corner after the round finished. He was almost done.

Jacare barely could walk back to his corner after the round finished. He was almost done.

Then he recovered. I feel if he picked his shots better or let him back up, he could have actually KO'd him. He couldn't ... then Jacare took control the last 2 rounds

Then he recovered. I feel if he picked his shots better or let him back up, he could have actually KO'd him. He couldn't ... then Jacare took control the last 2 rounds
Yeah bro i agree, i only replied to your he was never that hurt comment.

I think it's semantics really. I agree his cardio is up to par with other MWs, but the criticism IMO is interpreted from how he uses it. He relies on his raw athleticism which developed his frenetic/explosive style that in exchange for constant finishing ability dumps massive cardio in short bursts with rest in between, like the 1st Machida GIF.

Think Conor's cardio management fail vs Nate, except Yoel seemingly more in control as others have pointed out. It's volatile, but it pays off big when it goes his way.

I don't know if bad is the right way to put it but his offensive output drops significantly as the fight goes on. Some of that has to do with the fact that he expends so much energy to do the crazy athletic things that he does, and probably his attempts to finish early. Now that he is being closely watched I expect this and other elements of his performance to decline in a big way like Hector Lombard. If he doesn't kill you in the first minute then he will become very manageable and probably crumble.

Romero getting all of these late finishes isn't a testament to his cardio as much as it is a testament to the value of his high fight IQ. As much as everyone gawks at his incredible physique and athleticism, it's his gamesmanship that make hime so special as a fighter
The knee against Weidman was proof of that.

Back